Home

Why do fighters in the game move backwards far slower than fighters moving forwards?

This is a discussion on Why do fighters in the game move backwards far slower than fighters moving forwards? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Why do fighters in the game move backwards far slower than fighters moving forwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHunter1990
Currently,
I get the chance to play 2 maybe 3 times a week and I can keep a player like Kenetic from stalking me down and force him into a poke war from outside of the pocket. Now he usually wins the poke wars, leading to aggression. But nonetheless, I can still easily punish unwarranted aggression by one of/if not the best player.
That's footsies in fighting games and for me it is the most enjoyable aspect of all fighting games. Don't you find that to be a skillful and smart (sticking to the buzzwords here) aspect of the game? Theoretically you can do a lot of cool things like

- Throw a slow strike expecting the opponent to walk into it (everyone's been hit by a random 360 tornado kick at some point)
- Pretend to come forward then back away to bait strikes
- Timing your opponent's attack and lunge in
- General distancing stuff (staying either outside kick range or inside your punch range if you use a short reach boxer)

I think it is a very good way to get thought-provoking gameplay out of pressing buttons and moving sticks around.

But yes, I agree with your sentiment about the "outside fighter" perspective people have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #42
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

Re: Why do fighters in the game move backwards far slower than fighters moving forwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
That's footsies in fighting games and for me it is the most enjoyable aspect of all fighting games. Don't you find that to be a skillful and smart (sticking to the buzzwords here) aspect of the game? Theoretically you can do a lot of cool things like

- Throw a slow strike expecting the opponent to walk into it (everyone's been hit by a random 360 tornado kick at some point)
- Pretend to come forward then back away to bait strikes
- Timing your opponent's attack and lunge in
- General distancing stuff (staying either outside kick range or inside your punch range if you use a short reach boxer)

I think it is a very good way to get thought-provoking gameplay out of pressing buttons and moving sticks around.

But yes, I agree with your sentiment about the "outside fighter" perspective people have.
Absolutely! And this exists for the most part in game. It really opens up the striking amongst two people with similar skill. That said footsie battles at your opponents will regardless of skill level is a slippery slope.

The would be issue occurs when a fighter isn't forced to react or make reads in a timely manner. A good player makes these reads, slips, dashes, or plants and counters. A bad player gets overwhelmed and freezes up. Then complains about aggression and chants that they should freely be able to make space because they cant earn their opponents respect.

You will notice a pattern, these people are always dissatisfied and often complain about things that aren't really issues at all. Im not saying the game is perfect by any means, but eventually you have to suck it up and adapt.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:54 AM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHunter1990
Absolutely! And this exists for the most part in game. It really opens up the striking amongst two people with similar skill. That said footsie battles at your opponents will regardless of skill level is a slippery slope.

The would be issue occurs when a fighter isn't forced to react or make reads in a timely manner. A good player makes these reads, slips, dashes, or plants and counters. A bad player gets overwhelmed and freezes up. Then complains about aggression and chants that they should freely be able to make space because they cant earn their opponents respect.

You will notice a pattern, these people are always dissatisfied and often complain about things that aren't really issues at all. Im not saying the game is perfect by any means, but eventually you have to suck it up and adapt.
Your forgetting the most common thing s fighter does probably because your a jiu jitsu guy and that’s back up even in jiu Hindu it’s importsnt to maintain distance till your ready. Aggression is an issue when literally everyone on reddit and operation sports are saying it is the ones who aren’t are actually the minority. Let’s not have confirmation bias here. Let’s look at the polls and countless threads and facts made on this issue and yes it is an issue. You use arcade fighter terms for a mma game and right there’s is an inherent problem especially if these arcade fighter concepts were what was told to the devs we wanted. The whole game on the feet is modeled after arcade fighter philosophy’s. Who asked for these concepts to be in the game? No one who’s an mma fan. Look at Floyd mayweather most of his fights were won on the outside and both fighters keeping a good distance Floyd often fought with his body leading forward but his feet were out of range so he could easily pull counter. Let’s model the game of realism and not pathetic street fighter terms they have no place in this game
Old 07-29-2018, 03:14 AM   #44
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
Your forgetting the most common thing s fighter does probably because your a jiu jitsu guy and that’s back up even in jiu Hindu it’s importsnt to maintain distance till your ready. Aggression is an issue when literally everyone on reddit and operation sports are saying it is the ones who aren’t are actually the minority. Let’s not have confirmation bias here. Let’s look at the polls and countless threads and facts made on this issue and yes it is an issue. You use arcade fighter terms for a mma game and right there’s is an inherent problem especially if these arcade fighter concepts were what was told to the devs we wanted. The whole game on the feet is modeled after arcade fighter philosophy’s. Who asked for these concepts to be in the game? No one who’s an mma fan. Look at Floyd mayweather most of his fights were won on the outside and both fighters keeping a good distance Floyd often fought with his body leading forward but his feet were out of range so he could easily pull counter. Let’s model the game of realism and not pathetic street fighter terms they have no place in this game

I gotta be honest. This post is a bunch of trash.

I’ve been a GC for almost 3 yrs and never heard Zack push “arcade fighter concepts”

Do Zack and I disagree on certain concepts in the game? Hell yeah. With that said, I recognize he is coming from a high level player perspective and many in that group agree with his perspective.

I love OS. I agree with a lot of stuff here but a poll here just means the hardcore realism crowd wants something. It doesn’t represent the ENTIRE community. Just a portion. Our opinion counts just like Zack’s does and he is free to see the game different than us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-29-2018, 03:36 AM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I gotta be honest. This post is a bunch of trash.

I’ve been a GC for almost 3 yrs and never heard Zack push “arcade fighter concepts”

Do Zack and I disagree on certain concepts in the game? Hell yeah. With that said, I recognize he is coming from a high level player perspective and many in that group agree with his perspective.

I love OS. I agree with a lot of stuff here but a poll here just means the hardcore realism crowd wants something. It doesn’t represent the ENTIRE community. Just a portion. Our opinion counts just like Zack’s does and he is free to see the game different than us.

I was division 8 in ufc 2 div 5 bouncing in and out of the top 100 beaten a lot of the top guys that argument doesn’t really fall in place here. Originally I asked a question and it turned into a **** show even after martial answered it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2018, 03:42 AM   #46
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
I was division 8 in ufc 2 div 5 bouncing in and out of the top 100 beaten a lot of the top guys that argument doesn’t really fall in place here. Originally I asked a question and it turned into a **** show even after martial answered it.

You are one person. There are several other elite players who disagree with you.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:30 AM   #47
Pro

Quote:
You use arcade fighter terms for a mma game
What? I'm the one who's using the fighting game terminology here and I've been complaining about high strike volume for months (nowadays I think pressure has been neutered).

Quote:
and right there’s is an inherent problem especially if these arcade fighter concepts were what was told to the devs we wanted. The whole game on the feet is modeled after arcade fighter philosophy’s.
You don't even know what the "arcade fighter concepts" and "philosophy" are. If you actually did, you would know that a lot of fighting game concepts have heavy correlation with MMA (read the examples I gave to Zhunter).

Quote:
Look at Floyd mayweather most of his fights were won on the outside and both fighters keeping a good distance Floyd often fought with his body leading forward but his feet were out of range so he could easily pull counter.
And then you go and list an example of one of the most fundamental Street Fighter concepts.

Quote:
Let’s model the game of realism and not pathetic street fighter terms they have no place in this game
You say that while you just created a thread asking why do people move faster forwards than backwards.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:39 AM   #48
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
You are one person. There are several other elite players who disagree with you.

Except that he isn't an elite player and apparently Im just a Jiu Jitsu guy.

I know nothing about striking despite spending many years training in different striking disciplines while cornering ammy/pro fighters at regional promotions and national television.

It is what it is though. Im done responding to the dude. His original account was banned anyways.

Im suprised his 1212headkick account hasn't been banned for ban evasion.

Screenshot_20180729-033040.jpg

Last edited by ZHunter1990; 07-29-2018 at 05:38 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »