Home

TKO/FTF Animation Mocap Idea

This is a discussion on TKO/FTF Animation Mocap Idea within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #49
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: TKO/FTF Animation Mocap Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab541
Pretty sure Geoffs latest tweet closes the lid on the thing that everyone wants in this thread. I guess GPD was not trying to be clever when he said that there is no ragdoll tuning.

That really does feel like a kick in the nuts to be honest. The new stuff in the patch like the active knockdown changes sound really cool along with other spoilers but I was praying to see ragdoll included everyday.

When GPD said you won't get everything but It will scratch all the right itches, I thought that we would at least get some major improvements to the finishing system. To me personally the most important itches have not been scratched ie including ragdoll or some other improvment to this area.

Maybe it's time to just give up on ragdoll. I think it's a shame because everyone put together some great reasons why it will always look better than pre-animated finishes.
To me it seemed he had spoiled ragdoll when Reinfarcements had asked him a question about the new cage seated FTF animation. He had said that the FTF animation wasn't gonna play out during KO's because they didn't mess with the ragdoll. It got a lot of excitement going on so I wonder what that was about then?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthhh
To me it seemed he had spoiled ragdoll when Reinfarcements had asked him a question about the new cage seated FTF animation. He had said that the FTF animation wasn't gonna play out during KO's because they didn't mess with the ragdoll. It got a lot of excitement going on so I wonder what that was about then?
Yeah maybe he will pull a Dana white on us and make a huge ragdoll announcement at the last minute

But in all seriousness when he made that comment i think people were reading into it too much. My current understanding is a more or less pre-animated finish happens initially on the feet after the KO strike has landed and then the character model goes into ragdoll upon hitting the ground to give diversity. What we all want is the whole finish to be in ragdoll mode, as currently the animated parts are too jarring , don't carry through the full impact of the strike like ragdoll does and are too similar. I think the real phrase we want to look out for in the future is "full ragdoll" or we are probably getting our hopes up too much again.

@aholbert32. You made some good points and made me feel more optimistic. Let me be honest though, this patch was a 2 month patch that had a lot of hype behind it and my personal expectations were through the roof due to the development time-frame.

In hindsight i set the bar too high and was 99% certain ragdoll would be included due to various things i saw and especially how much traction these KO/FTF type threads were receiving. When people talk about this feature constantly i think its really because its essentially the last major part that will put the finishes on par with UD3, especially with all the active knockdown changes now.

For many (me included) i think that its just really a case of really wanting ragdoll back since the launch and its definitely a bit of a kick when you know you have to wait another month to hope it gets re-included for the next patch. That's my personal view but bravo to you , the other gamechangers and GPD/GPD's team ; the changes in this patch sound awesome.

I know us radgoll fanatics might sound crazy for constantly bringing this up or asking, but ultimately its just because we are very strong advocates for giving the finishing system the last major push that it so well deserves.

Thanks
AB541

Last edited by ab541; 08-22-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #51
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthhh
I thought about it myself and came to this conclusion.

As we know the current KO system is a mix of animation and ragdoll. Once the KOed fighter hits the ground completely, the fighter usually goes completely ragdoll. At this point if you initiate Finish the Fight, it sort of snaps the ragdolled fighter back into a pre-set animation to carry out FTF. Although sometimes this snapping-back-to-animation process messes up and keeps a lot of ragdoll physics in the FTF process, and those are without a doubt the best looking FTF sequences oddly enough.

Due to the animation side of the KOs, when you KO someone near the cage they often end up rubber-banding away from the cage a little instead of naturally slumping into the cage. So, maybe with the new cage seated FTF animations, the ragdoll snapping into the FTF animation thing just looked too jarring so the devs didn't want to include it.

Thats my guess anyway. Keep fighting the good fight boys, if it doesn't end up in EA UFC 3, I can assure you what we have done here will make them heavily consider it for UFC 4.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #52
Rookie

The weird part is that it's not even acknowledged. Geoff has no problem coming on the forums and discussing why certain design decisions were made. But with the KO physics/ragdoll, it's radio silence. There's no dialog with the community.

Again, this forum is mostly represented by the hardcore community (and you guys have definitely made the game better). But most people who play this game are casuals, just like real MMA. So improving the KO's wouldn't just appease the handfull "ragdoll nuts" on this forum, it would have a much broader appeal to fans of the game. I hope it's something they can improve.

/my 2 cents
Old 08-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #53
Banned

Also @Stealthhh & @Reinfarcements & @Mr_Cool_Ice. Your probably all the most well known advocates for RD/finish related features on these forums, at least the dudes that i recognize instantly. But i just realized something slightly crazy, we all joined the forum in November last year. So seen as we ragdoll crazies appeared to spawn out of this date, maybe, just maybe that will be the lucky date for getting ragdoll back in the game hahaha.

AB541
Old 08-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #54
Pro

Quote:
Also @Stealthhh & @Reinfarcements & @Mr_Cool_Ice. Your probably all the most well known advocates for RD/finish related features on these forums, at least the dudes that i recognize instantly. But i just realized something slightly crazy, we all joined the forum in November last year. So seen as we ragdoll crazies appeared to spawn out of this date, maybe, just maybe that will be the lucky date for getting ragdoll back in the game hahaha.

AB541
That would be some prophetic s**t to say the least lol
Old 08-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #55
Rookie

Nekrotik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Or maybe those changes wont come in this patch. I think its safe to say that GPD and the devs are aware of how you guys feel about ragdoll. Given the dev team's history, they typically try to find a way to make this community happy. So that means either:

- Putting the UFC 2 ragdoll system back in with the UFC 3 animations is more difficult than it looks or;

- There are other reasons EA doesnt want to add the old ragdoll (while alot of people here loved some of the crazy KOs that came from the old system not everyone does) or;

- They plan to make changes in a future patch and didnt have the time to put those changes in to this one.

Doesnt mean all hope is lost but I wouldnt blame you for dialing back the hope a little.
Just gonna say it again - OCCASIONALLY some of the ragdolls looked bad in UFC 2, but almost ALL of the KO animations in UFC3 look objectively terrible.
It's not even close.

A lot of people don't remember the difference, but there are comparisons out there that will blow your mind.

I've been pissed about the animations since the beta, and a lot of people were as well at the time. The first comments I saw on the first gameplay videos pointed it out, a lot of them.
I guess GPD mentioning shows he knows what we want, I just hope it also means it's possible to do.

Based on the almost zero feedback on the multiple threads about it, though, I'm not overly optimistic.

Last edited by Nekrotik; 08-22-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #56
Pro

Quote:
Yeah maybe he will pull a Dana white on us and make a huge ragdoll announcement at the last minute

But in all seriousness when he made that comment i think people were reading into it too much. My current understanding is a more or less pre-animated finish happens initially on the feet after the KO strike has landed and then the character model goes into ragdoll upon hitting the ground to give diversity. What we all want is the whole finish to be in ragdoll mode, as currently the animated parts are too jarring , don't carry through the full impact of the strike like ragdoll does and are too similar. I think the real phrase we want to look out for in the future is "full ragdoll" or we are probably getting our hopes up too much again.

@aholbert32. You made some good points and made me feel more optimistic. Let me be honest though, this patch was a 2 month patch that had a lot of hype behind it and my personal expectations were through the roof due to the development time-frame.

In hindsight i set the bar too high and was 99% certain ragdoll would be included due to various things i saw and especially how much traction these KO/FTF type threads were receiving. When people talk about this feature constantly i think its really because its essentially the last major part that will put the finishes on par with UD3, especially with all the active knockdown changes now.

For many (me included) i think that its just really a case of really wanting ragdoll back since the launch and its definitely a bit of a kick when you know you have to wait another month to hope it gets re-included for the next patch. That's my personal view but bravo to you , the other gamechangers and GPD/GPD's team ; the changes in this patch sound awesome.

I know us radgoll fanatics might sound crazy for constantly bringing this up or asking, but ultimately its just because we are very strong advocates for giving the finishing system the last major push that it so well deserves.

Thanks
AB541
Full ragdoll KO's would make a huuuuge impact in the game. No KO would look the same, maybe similar but not the same which is exactly how it should be. Replays would look beautiful and we would definitely get more "ooooohs and ahhhhhhhhhhs" out of ourselves lol. All around better experience when it gets included.. Notice I said "when" because that's how much hope I have still. The fact that they worked on new FTF animations makes it more believeable that it's coming, after all if the patch drops tomorrow which 99% sure it will, he can easily hide it in the blog, announce it, or just flat out surprise us and let us find out on our own. Ima be honest I thought it was back already... I had like 3 beautiful almost looked like full ragdoll KO's including the finish glitched out too so it looked like the downed fighter was full ragdoll as well, sorta until I saw the replay, so in a way like I said before they're doing something to the physics because they're 10x better than they were at launch. Anyways not trying to turn this into an essay, cause I can literally write forever when it comes to the finishes and KO's lol so I'll leave it at that. Also thanks to everyone that keeps fighting the FULL RAGDOLL/KO's/FTF scenarios. Let's keep the hope!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »