Home

How do we deal with pressure or block breaking players?

This is a discussion on How do we deal with pressure or block breaking players? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: How do we deal with pressure or block breaking players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
I like this idea

Last second blocking wouldnt be as effective and shelling up beforehand.

Makes sense as well since IRL if you brace yourself sooner you’ll be ready for the impact.
The block breaking system is incredibly gamey indeed but I don't think there's enough time to implement such a drastic change (thinking up another mechanic, etc.) to core gameplay. Maybe some tweak though...
Old 08-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #34
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshark209
No parries please.
Parrys are literally blocking thats it. To block a straight you have to either parry it or close your block which leaves you open to round strikes. The only window for a counter should be against a combo. For example someone throws a 1,6,3. You parry the 1 and as the 6 comes you are able to get a short hook or straight to interupt the combo. If you mistime to parry you eat the 6 and take vulnerability damage.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #35
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
Head kicks are easier to counter reactively and counters for them were needed. It’s incredibly hard to land a uppercut if you duck the strike. Also the counter body kick headlock catch was removed which was a huge mistake. We’re having all these problems because of block break too much stamina bad movement options and no parries to counter block break.
Could you please rephrase these sentences?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
Head kicks are easier to counter reactively. It’s incredibly hard to land a uppercut if you duck the strike. Also the counter body kick headkick catch was removed which was a huge mistake. We’re having all these problems because of block break being meta too much stamina bad movement options and no parries to counter block break.
here ya go
Old 08-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #37
MVP

At this point (as pressure fighting advantages dwindle with each change) the answer is "be better".

Some people plateau due to physical or mental limitations. I don't know why this is always such a controversial answer. Like it's some gigantic insult to be told you aren't good enough to beat a certain playstyle. Would you feel the same slight if I told you you weren't good enough to fight in the UFC? Just because it's a video game doesn't automatically mean you can go past those limitations. Doesn't mean you can't either, but at some point you just have to give up the ghost.

However, there are still changes that need to be made beyond "git gud".

I still think coming forward and slamming combos in the first round (before you can gauge a pattern) is far too effective. It's too much of a guessing game to slip, especially since those strikes are coming out faster in the first round. More often than not, you will win (provided you have the skill), but they have a substantial chance to, at the very least, drop you. I guess you could say that first round blitz is realistic, but they won't incur the proper stamina penalty in the next round to make that blitz the high-risk, high-reward strategy it should be. Not to mention it doesn't make for very sophisticated gameplay.

Maybe make repeated combos have a higher stamina penalty than if you were to wait a couple seconds beforehand. That way the game can differentiate between someone going for a blitz (or the kill during a rock/guard break) and separate combos thrown apart from each other. Perhaps only activate it during three punch hard combos, thus making it an option to throw more combos with less strikes to avoid that extra penalty. It gives the game more depth and allows the player to determine whether the risk is worth it. For example, right now I pretty much always go for a guard breaker when I rock an opponent, even if it's a small rock, because I know there is a high chance to drop them with little stamina penalty. In real life, you might just burn yourself out. That doesn't really exist too much in game currently (although it is there in some respects).

Despite the overtly cautious stance on stamina taxes the developers have, with every tuner and patch that has made stamina more of a management game, the gameplay has improved dramatically. This recent tuner being the absolute best thing to happen to the game in awhile. You have at least half of quick match players playing a semi-sim style now because they know what happens when they throw and miss too often.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #38
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
At this point (as pressure fighting advantages dwindle with each change) the answer is "be better".

Some people plateau due to physical or mental limitations. I don't know why this is always such a controversial answer. Like it's some gigantic insult to be told you aren't good enough to beat a certain playstyle. Would you feel the same slight if I told you you weren't good enough to fight in the UFC? Just because it's a video game doesn't automatically mean you can go past those limitations. Doesn't mean you can't either, but at some point you just have to give up the ghost.

However, there are still changes that need to be made beyond "git gud".

I still think coming forward and slamming combos in the first round (before you can gauge a pattern) is far too effective. It's too much of a guessing game to slip, especially since those strikes are coming out faster in the first round. More often than not, you will win (provided you have the skill), but they have a substantial chance to, at the very least, drop you. I guess you could say that first round blitz is realistic, but they won't incur the proper stamina penalty in the next round to make that blitz the high-risk, high-reward strategy it should be. Not to mention it doesn't make for very sophisticated gameplay.

Maybe make repeated combos have a higher stamina penalty than if you were to wait a couple seconds beforehand. That way the game can differentiate between someone going for a blitz (or the kill during a rock/guard break) and separate combos thrown apart from each other. Perhaps only activate it during three punch hard combos, thus making it an option to throw more combos with less strikes to avoid that extra penalty. It gives the game more depth and allows the player to determine whether the risk is worth it. For example, right now I pretty much always go for a guard breaker when I rock an opponent, even if it's a small rock, because I know there is a high chance to drop them with little stamina penalty. In real life, you might just burn yourself out. That doesn't really exist too much in game currently (although it is there in some respects).

Despite the overtly cautious stance on stamina taxes the developers have, with every tuner and patch that has made stamina more of a management game, the gameplay has improved dramatically. This recent tuner being the absolute best thing to happen to the game in awhile. You have at least half of quick match players playing a semi-sim style now because they know what happens when they throw and miss too ofte
n.

Could this not have been the post? Like it kinda contradict what you say at the start, you say the answer is be better then gives ways that it isnt. Rephrasing what you say at the start would be a bit better, people need to have a certain standard to understand the game which is fair but your phrasing is a bit dickish.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCB x Finlay
Could this not have been the post? Like it kinda contradict what you say at the start, you say the answer is be better then gives ways that it isnt. Rephrasing what you say at the start would be a bit better, people need to have a certain standard to understand the game which is fair but your phrasing is a bit dickish.
lmao See? The mere mention of the hypothetical limitations of a hypothetical person was enough to stop this man from actually replying to the meat of the post and address only the preface. No doubt this is going to put even more ants in your pants instead of just taking a look at yourself and your reaction. The only way you could perceive that as being "dickish" is if you took it as a slight and are projecting insecurity. I even made it a point to say that it's ridiculous to see what I said as an insult (paraphrasing), but here you are.

It doesn't contradict my point at all. If you have skill, you can beat these types of players 90% of the time. The thing is, my 10% struggle is your 90% struggle and for others like you.

You have all the tools in the world to beat pressure fighting. I don't have many issues with the game, this is just my pet peeve. Your issue is you can't beat this strategy, mine is that it doesn't make for a valuable gameplay experience.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #40
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
lmao See? The mere mention of the hypothetical limitations of a hypothetical person was enough to stop this man from actually replying to the meat of the post and address only the preface. No doubt this is going to put even more ants in your pants instead of just taking a look at yourself and your reaction. The only way you could perceive that as being "dickish" is if you took it as a slight and are projecting insecurity. I even made it a point to say that it's ridiculous to see what I said as an insult (paraphrasing), but here you are.

It doesn't contradict my point at all. If you have skill, you can beat these types of players 90% of the time. The thing is, my 10% struggle is your 90% struggle and for others like you.

You have all the tools in the world to beat pressure fighting. I don't have many issues with the game, this is just my pet peeve. Your issue is you can't beat this strategy, mine is that it doesn't make for a valuable gameplay experience.
I said could the bolded section not be your post, i was implying i actually agreed with it. I replied to the start as thats the part i disagreed with. My issue isnt that I cant beat this strategy, my issue is that the way to defeat is unrealistic, unbalanced and also what you said, it doesnt make for a valuable gameplay experience.

Last edited by FCB x Finlay; 08-15-2018 at 07:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »