Home

How do we deal with pressure or block breaking players?

This is a discussion on How do we deal with pressure or block breaking players? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: How do we deal with pressure or block breaking players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
At this point (as pressure fighting advantages dwindle with each change) the answer is "be better".

Some people plateau due to physical or mental limitations. I don't know why this is always such a controversial answer. Like it's some gigantic insult to be told you aren't good enough to beat a certain playstyle. Would you feel the same slight if I told you you weren't good enough to fight in the UFC? Just because it's a video game doesn't automatically mean you can go past those limitations. Doesn't mean you can't either, but at some point you just have to give up the ghost.

However, there are still changes that need to be made beyond "git gud".

I still think coming forward and slamming combos in the first round (before you can gauge a pattern) is far too effective. It's too much of a guessing game to slip, especially since those strikes are coming out faster in the first round. More often than not, you will win (provided you have the skill), but they have a substantial chance to, at the very least, drop you. I guess you could say that first round blitz is realistic, but they won't incur the proper stamina penalty in the next round to make that blitz the high-risk, high-reward strategy it should be. Not to mention it doesn't make for very sophisticated gameplay.

Maybe make repeated combos have a higher stamina penalty than if you were to wait a couple seconds beforehand. That way the game can differentiate between someone going for a blitz (or the kill during a rock/guard break) and separate combos thrown apart from each other. Perhaps only activate it during three punch hard combos, thus making it an option to throw more combos with less strikes to avoid that extra penalty. It gives the game more depth and allows the player to determine whether the risk is worth it. For example, right now I pretty much always go for a guard breaker when I rock an opponent, even if it's a small rock, because I know there is a high chance to drop them with little stamina penalty. In real life, you might just burn yourself out. That doesn't really exist too much in game currently (although it is there in some respects).

Despite the overtly cautious stance on stamina taxes the developers have, with every tuner and patch that has made stamina more of a management game, the gameplay has improved dramatically. This recent tuner being the absolute best thing to happen to the game in awhile. You have at least half of quick match players playing a semi-sim style now because they know what happens when they throw and miss too often.
https://eathletelabs.com/rankedanxiety/ Not true at all
Old 08-16-2018, 01:49 AM   #50
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
What tools specifically are you referring to?

There are plenty of tools as is. What do you think is missing?
Parrys, single shot power, elbows connecting properly, proper headmovement counters, stopping power. There are tools there but some of the basics are missing.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:19 AM   #51
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
"Head kicks are easier to counter reactively. It’s incredibly hard to land a uppercut if you duck the strike. Also the counter body kick headkick catch was removed which was a huge mistake. We’re having all these problems because of block break being meta too much stamina bad movement options and no parries to counter block break."

here ya go
The speed of the head kick and the overhand are very similar. Timing an uppercut, after ducking either of them is about as easy. In the case of the overhand, the guy can still slip your upper in time, but at least so far that is not a very common practice and also come with its risks.

The head kick deals considerably more damage.

The main reason why I brought up head kicks was about the complaint of not being able to cancel a jab in time to block the big shot, once you realise it's a big shot. Not only is this fair, it's not specific of the overhand at all. The head kick is actually more dangerous in this regard.

About the remainder of the most, I don't think those things are missing and I don't think that problem exists.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #52
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey

I still think coming forward and slamming combos in the first round (before you can gauge a pattern) is far too effective. It's too much of a guessing game to slip, especially since those strikes are coming out faster in the first round. More often than not, you will win (provided you have the skill), but they have a substantial chance to, at the very least, drop you. I guess you could say that first round blitz is realistic, but they won't incur the proper stamina penalty in the next round to make that blitz the high-risk, high-reward strategy it should be. Not to mention it doesn't make for very sophisticated gameplay.................

Maybe make repeated combos have a higher stamina penalty than if you were to wait a couple seconds beforehand. That way the game can differentiate between someone going for a blitz (or the kill during a rock/guard break) and separate combos thrown apart from each other. ............

Despite the overtly cautious stance on stamina taxes the developers have, with every tuner and patch that has made stamina more of a management game, the gameplay has improved dramatically. This recent tuner being the absolute best thing to happen to the game in awhile. You have at least half of quick match players playing a semi-sim style now because they know what happens when they throw and miss too often.

Yup Yup and Yup

More stamina management = more sophisticated gameplay = more competitive and more fun (at least I think so)

The 1st round blitz is still too effective, I def. hope someday there will be a 'blitz stamina penalty' --- where if you go for the kill and totally blow your load, you get a x2 stamina penalty.

Jogging 1 Mile vs. Sprinting 1 Mile ---- totally different things. Your 'average Joe' can jog 1-Mile, just like they can throw 120 strikes on a heavy bag in a garage --- but can they Sprint 1 Mile without dying? Hell no lol and not even elite athletes can go 110% All The Time without major consequences. That said, the 1st round blitz should be a legit strategy so we don't want to overnerf THAT much.... haha

We are about....75% of the way there, to the ideal (standup) stamina system, so that's good! This new tuner has been great.

Man I hope this patch is as good as it's been hinted at.........I have the faith
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

Last edited by Boiler569; 08-16-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #53
Rookie

This might sound nuts but trust the block more. It usually takes at least 2 or more strikes to break it. Block the first 2 and slip the 3rd.

If they break your block then get ready to try and catch them as they go in again. So if they use a jab uppercut hook and stop, get ready to try and intercept their next combo.
Be wary of doing this too much as they might bait you and then plant and try to catch you as you come in.

Try not to panic. If they break your block, don't start dashing and swaying all the time. If you can get a little space then I'd probably say ducking is the safest option or back dash if possible. Just watch out for body kicks if back dashing.

Try and go the body. A straight to the he body is probably best just as they back off to recover stamina. You could follow the straight up with a lead body hook but watch out for uppercuts.

Don't always move straight back. Try and circle to the side and then move back a little and then circle again.

Stationary combos - these are the biggest weapon. The good old jab-uppercut-hook is lethal. The jab-straight-lead hook and jab-straight-uppercut are also useful. Maybe throw in a double hook as well.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #54
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCB x Finlay
Parrys, single shot power, elbows connecting properly, proper headmovement counters, stopping power. There are tools there but some of the basics are missing.
Single shot power is there depending on who you’re using and vulnerability, rear elbows and spinng elbows connect fine. Lead elbows do need work. Head movement counters are definitely there. Stopping power is also there.

So parries and a good lead elbow are the only things there that dont currenty exist.

I’d say the majority of the tools are there. The game is nothing like day 1 where dudes could just walk you down holding forward. If they do they’ll get destroyed most of the time.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #55
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Single shot power is there depending on who you’re using and vulnerability, rear elbows and spinng elbows connect fine. Lead elbows do need work. Head movement counters are definitely there. Stopping power is also there.

So parries and a good lead elbow are the only things there that dont currenty exist.

I’d say the majority of the tools are there. The game is nothing like day 1 where dudes could just walk you down holding forward. If they do they’ll get destroyed most of the time.
Single shot power is catching someone clean, the difference between normal damage ans vulnerability damage is too high, especially when the head is on the centre line. Rear elbow still has issues connecting but it is greatly improved. Headmovement counters are there but again not affective enough. I mean like minor bacl sway at the edge of your range and uppercut, gustaffson uses this alot. Pull 1-2 counter doesnt do anywhere mear enough damage, slipping an overhand to the inside and landing a hook hasnt got anywhere nesr enough damage also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #56
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
My question is will I have an orgasm
LOL. I have no idea nor do I want to know.

I'll juts say GPD has done a good job of creating ways to get more space when faced with mindless pressure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »