Home

Gamechanger Question

This is a discussion on Gamechanger Question within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #9
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Gamechanger Question

This is so weird.
It still blows my mind that I "talk" to GPD, or Skynet on a regular basis.
That I debate and listen to game changers like Aholbert, Solid, Martialmind, and Zombie, the list goes on.
I would love to be a gamechanger..... for one day, so I could get that free pizza. I honestly think all you guys put in a crazy amount of work and effort into this, and it makes me love the game(s), and the community so much more.

Can't wait to get back home at the end of August, so I can play the ef out of this new patch.

Last edited by MacGowan; 08-14-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #10
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Damn, Rampage is a button masher? Is he a hook spammer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 08-14-2018, 11:30 PM   #11
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
This is so weird.
It still blows my mind that I "talk" to GPD, or Skynet on a regular basis.
That I debate and listen to game changers like Aholbert, Solid, Martialmind, and Zombie, the list goes on.
I would love to be a gamechanger..... for one day, so I could get that free pizza. I honestly think all you guys put in a crazy amount of work and effort into this, and it makes me love the game(s), and the community so much more.

Can't wait to get back home at the end of August, so I can play the ef out of this new patch.
The pizza is overrated as hell. Now EA's cafeteria is on point though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Damn, Rampage is a button masher? Is he a hook spammer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
I remember he got to play UFC 2 early and it reminded me of my how my friends play when they play for the first time. Just winging ****.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHunter1990
Just to clear a few things up. I fought as an amateur, but spine injuries cut that short. Now I mainly do Jiu Jitsu and have been for the past 9 years. Currently a brown belt under IBJJF world champion Ed Ramos, who was the Mendes bros main training partner at AOJ for a few years.

I've also cornered fighters on nationally televised events as well as small local promotions.

Ive rolled with the devs during the GC events. They have a legit program with legit black belt instructors IN THE STUDIO, many blue and purple belts amongst the dev team. All solid.

I think your issue with the grappling is more of a resource/time allocation issue than anything else. The grappling system was designed in UFC2 and hasn't changed a whole lot since. Despite a patch where quite a few grappling suggestions had made it in. This is of course due to the primary focus of UFC3 being a striking rehaul. On top of the fact that most peoples feedback is striking related, even here.

Also remember that with complexity and depth, the harder it becomes to balance, maintain and tend to all the nooks and crannys.

Think of it like a house. Its easy to clean an empty house. Much harder to clean and tend to a house that is fully furnished.

Not to mention, having martial arts knowledge and having dev knowledge doesnt make a complex sport like MMA easy to emulate in a video game.

Especially because concept and theory in strategies and practices in MMA are evolving every day and we see its growth in each event.
Point well taken. Grappling is a very tough if not impossible thing to simulate in a video game.

My larger issue is wrestling there are many things even within the mechanics of a video game that need some work done n my opinion. Quick example...the dev team has put in submission switches in BJJ sometimes one sub is really a bait for another sub or position and this sums that. In wrestling when you shoot sometimes the initial shot is done to set up and transition to another shot or a misdirection. A high level wrestler or coach could tell you that basic thing. That is just one thing...there are tons of things like that. Even that the new animation is referred to as an ankle pick. I loved ankle pucks when I wrestled and not only is that not the move but they are better done when an opponent steps near you. Not sure Ben going to get into some levels of advanced td defense that are missing.

Most fans don’t appreciate some of the moves that happen because many times they happen too fast and with areas of the body most are not watching but when you take khabib, Cejudo, dc, prime shad, jones, prime Cain, Edgar, Ferguson, Kevin lee, Weidman, tj and Romero to name a few just slowdown and watch some of there takedown sequences and set ups. On the defense side Aldo, prime Fabre, Cruz, Dj, Edgar are truly special. You will see things that they do routinely that u can’t do i this game
Old 08-14-2018, 11:51 PM   #14
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSPunk
Point well taken. Grappling is a very tough if not impossible thing to simulate in a video game.

My larger issue is wrestling there are many things even within the mechanics of a video game that need some work done n my opinion. Quick example...the dev team has put in submission switches in BJJ sometimes one sub is really a bait for another sub or position and this sums that. In wrestling when you shoot sometimes the initial shot is done to set up and transition to another shot or a misdirection. A high level wrestler or coach could tell you that basic thing. That is just one thing...there are tons of things like that. Even that the new animation is referred to as an ankle pick. I loved ankle pucks when I wrestled and not only is that not the move but they are better done when an opponent steps near you. Not sure Ben going to get into some levels of advanced td defense that are missing.

Most fans don’t appreciate some of the moves that happen because many times they happen too fast and with areas of the body most are not watching but when you take khabib, Cejudo, dc, prime shad, jones, prime Cain, Edgar, Ferguson, Kevin lee, Weidman, tj and Romero to name a few just slowdown and watch some of there takedown sequences and set ups. On the defense side Aldo, prime Fabre, Cruz, Dj, Edgar are truly special. You will see things that they do routinely that u can’t do i this game
It's a low single with an ankle pick finish.

You'll notice i referred to it as a low single in my blog write up, but the move ended up getting named ankle pick in game. I didn't agree with the naming choice because if we ever added different finishes to the low single, or different setups for the ankle pick, it wouldn't make sense anymore, but I understand why it was chosen, because the ankle pick is the most memorable part of the move as it's performed in game.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:10 AM   #15
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSPunk

I would also sum up your example as something chalked up to time/resource allocation as well. Think about takedown chains, aside from having multiple directions to stuff different variations of takedowns(Because this would be very difficult for the casuals) using the same system, and without tons more animations, how can you expand the logic? Im all for expanding the wrestling aspect and getting things positions like cradles, backside leg trapped, leg extended lockdowns against the cage, post grabbing..etc

As for the ankle pick, it is more of a low single. Terms are used loosely all the time in MMA, people often interchange the words sweep and reversal too.

I think boils down to concept as well. I always found ankle picks to be easier on a retreating opponent because less weight on the lead leg makes the ankle much easier to pick up, from there, lifting the leg up above hip level isnt nearly as difficult. Where as I could also see the perspective of somebody moving forward with more weight on the lead leg means a sudden shift in weight forced by the pick, almost like a trip, would result in an easier takedown. With pretty much any technqiue, there are multiple variations and the right choice is heavily reliant on your opponents reaction. Good luck finding a way to get that in depth though.

Last edited by ZHunter1990; 08-15-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #16
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

I also trained Traditional Northern Shaolin Kung Fu for 5 years, but not competitively. I'm a skinny wuss.

It doesn't have much relation with MMA, though. It just gave me some sense of motion, like torque, swiftness, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »