Home

The body kick catch is killing this game

This is a discussion on The body kick catch is killing this game within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The body kick catch is killing this game

I have not noticed any difference post patch to the frequency of this. It is ruining this game and turning it into a boxing match.

It’s at its absolute worst when you’ve rocked someone, they catch a body kick, rock you and instantly recover from there rock. The stand up is so much better with the new changes and this is just ruining it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Pro

Re: The body kick catch is killing this game

For me, my ideal fix would be to tune down the speed of body kicks to somewhere in the middle of what they are before and what they are now and make the catch window require a UFC 2-style parry input.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
MVP

its fine the way it is, you just need to set yours up better. I compete against top 50 guys regularly and rarely get my body kick caught. These strikes are rarely thrown in the UFC for this specific reason.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

I think the body kick catch is just about perfect now.

I still get my kicks caught if I'm sloppy (or the guy is just straight up lucky haha) --- but it happens less often.

It used to be that for every 10 kicks my opponent 'blocked' --- he would actually catch like 8 or 9. Almost no 'regular' blocks. Either a Catch, or a Hit.

Now it seems like 50% are caught 50% are blocked which is a bit more of a realistic % split. A lot better than 80%+ being caught.

I still wish body kicks did a bit more damage but oh well. I think they're in a pretty good spot otherwise
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 08-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
I think the body kick catch is just about perfect now.

I still get my kicks caught if I'm sloppy (or the guy is just straight up lucky haha) --- but it happens less often.

It used to be that for every 10 kicks my opponent 'blocked' --- he would actually catch like 8 or 9. Almost no 'regular' blocks. Either a Catch, or a Hit.

Now it seems like 50% are caught 50% are blocked which is a bit more of a realistic % split. A lot better than 80%+ being caught.

I still wish body kicks did a bit more damage but oh well. I think they're in a pretty good spot otherwise

They do enough damage already if you put it into perspective with other ways of damaging the body.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
EA Game Changer

MartialMind's Arena

My issue is that the number one defense against body kicks is not to catch it.

Not just that, catching a kick is far more complex than the game let's on and for it to be this easy as well as the number defense to body kicks in the game really annoys me.

Blocking a body kick in this game grant's you a free forward moving straight every time... Maybe even a hook if you're quick.

Yet this punish is never used... Everyone just catches.

Also... Spin kicks to the body and side kicks to the body should not be caught. You can already simply move to the side and evade this plus they cost a lot of stamina.

My ideal solution would be to leave the block as an actual block. You block a kick, regardless of timing, you block it. When you block it you can land a free shot people...guaranteed.

As for the catch, I'd like if it was triggered by doing a minor lunge backwards.

So if we are both Orthodox, and I throw a rear body kick, you lunge backwards and it plays the catch animation. If that is done... You can justify making the punish unblock-able... Plus the Takedown possibility from it.

But this whole switching hi and low really quickly to catch kicks is annoying as hell.

Also... This whole catching knees business needs to go. No one catches knees.

Thoughts?

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialMind

Not just that, catching a kick is far more complex than the game let's on and for it to be this easy as well as the number defense to body kicks in the game really annoys me.

Blocking a body kick in this game grant's you a free forward moving straight every time... Maybe even a hook if you're quick.

Also... Spin kicks to the body and side kicks to the body should not be caught. You can already simply move to the side and evade this plus they cost a lot of stamina.

My ideal solution would be to leave the block as an actual block. You block a kick, regardless of timing, you block it. When you block it you can land a free shot people...guaranteed.

As for the catch, I'd like if it was triggered by doing a minor lunge backwards.

So if we are both Orthodox, and I throw a rear body kick, you lunge backwards and it plays the catch animation. If that is done... You can justify making the punish unblock-able... Plus the Takedown possibility from it.

But this whole switching hi and low really quickly to catch kicks is annoying as hell.

Thoughts?

Lord knows I hate the switching high low huggers.

I believe José Aldo caught Chang Sung Jung with a TD as he went for a flying knee.
Cormier caught Alexander Gustaffson's Knee.
And a lot of wrestlers tend to catch the knee when they're up against the fence and convert it into a TD. Except for Chad Mendes against Aldo in their first fight, poor soul.
I think an 87 TD offense should be required to catch knees.

I just don't like that people tend to immediately block low-high after every combo so they can catch whatever punish is coming, or just in general.

Also, is it just me, or is the Regular straight's stopping power inconsistent now ever since they removed it from the empty slip straight (like they were supposed to)

I've thrown straights versus another persons combination that starts with a jab and they are able to power through like nothing happened.

I do like the minor lunge backwards in order to be able to catch the kick, that makes a lot of sense, having enough space and time to see it coming.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialMind

Thoughts?

I agree with you but I think the input for a catch should be like a parry rather than a lunge

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »