Home

Ranked: Equalized Stats only?

This is a discussion on Ranked: Equalized Stats only? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Ranked: Equalized Stats only?
Yes 6 16.67%
No 30 83.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #25
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ranked: Equalized Stats only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
His argument is that winning in ranked has more to do with who you pick than your actual skill and that if EA is going to that the UFC series seriously as a competitive title, it needs to focus more on skill.
Figured it was something like this. Sounds like that super competitive guy that never wants to loose, so they are willing to go to the extreme to give themselves highest chance of winning. Skill does show in the game though. Now that the game has a more realistic damage system than in previous titles, skill can show more than ever tbh. For example, I beat my roomate all the time picking low tier fighters while he picks champs and top lvl fighters, just cuz of the fact that i'm more skilled at the game than he is. Knocked his DC out cold the other day with Pat Cummins.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #26
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
His argument is that winning in ranked has more to do with who you pick than your actual skill and that if EA is going to that the UFC series seriously as a competitive title, it needs to focus more on skill.
I can understand his frustration because I agree that character selection can often override skills in this game. However, I don't agree that changing Ranked is the answer. Someone shouldn't have to play with a trash version of a fighter or lose their advantages just because I don't want to use someone with better attributes.

As far as this being a competitive title, is he saying that in regards to this becoming a major E-Sport in the future? If that's what he means, then yes, something would have to be done because this game wouldn't cut it at all. I don't ever really see this series going that route, though.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to another area of that game that offered an alternative. My suggestion isn't quite what he wants, but I'd love something similar to Ultimate Team where you're given a set amount of attribute points and perks to assign to your fighter, and you just have to work within those parameters. That would be a lot more interesting to me than just equalized stats across the board.

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 09-17-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #27
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Very strange argument

Every single sport/fighting game has different tiers of teams/fighters. That has never hindered their ability to be competitive.
Is that true? The comp modes in games like NBA 2k are based on characters that you create (ex. the NBA2k league). With Madden, I think its based on UT (at least thats what I saw in the Madden Bowl). Same with FIFA.

I dont really care one way or the other but Game put forth the argument that this is what people wanted and he had data that supports it so I was interested in what this community would want.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #28
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I can understand his frustration because I agree that character selection can often override skills in this game. However, I don't agree that changing Ranked is the answer. Someone shouldn't have to play with a trash version of a fighter or lose their advantages just because I don't want to use someone with better attributes.

As far as this being a competitive title, is he saying that in regards to this becoming a major E-Sport in the future? If that's what he means, then yes, something would have to be done because this game wouldn't cut it at all. I don't ever really see this series going that route, though.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to another area of that game that offered an alternative. My suggestion isn't quite what he wants, but I'd love something similar to Ultimate Team where you're given a set amount of attribute points and perks to assign to your fighter, and you just have to work within those parameters. That would be a lot more interesting to me than just equalized stats across the board.
Thats what he means.

The devs during UFC 2 seemed to be more interested in going down the E-Sports route than they are now. That could change with the next game.

Regarding the separate mode idea, some of the GCs objected because they say it would split the player base.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #29
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

^ Now from an aspect like this I can understand..something would have to be done if they plan on getting the game to a major competitive lvl. But making equalized stats accross the board and killing the uniqueness of the fighters? No way that's not the route. And skill definitely shows in this game. Especially with a more realistic damage system. A Jon Jones user still has to fight at a certain skill lvl, or he can potentially get his butt knocked out by Pat Cummins. My roomate can pick any fighter and I can pick a low tier guy and beat him majority of the time, just cuz i'm more skilled at the game overall. Now where the issue does come in, is when guys of similar or equal skill face each other and one is using a top tier fighter and the other a low tier fighter.

Last edited by WarMMA; 09-17-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Is that true? The comp modes in games like NBA 2k are based on characters that you create (ex. the NBA2k league). With Madden, I think its based on UT (at least thats what I saw in the Madden Bowl). Same with FIFA.

I dont really care one way or the other but Game put forth the argument that this is what people wanted and he had data that supports it so I was interested in what this community would want.
In FIFA the competitive modes are either Seasons, where everyone picks a real team with no changes to real life whatsoever, or Ultimate Team. In the former, people tend to pick the best teams, just like they would pick a McGregor in UFC. In the latter, players aim to asseble a custom squad of players. There are packs where players hope to get the best possible players or buy them in a market with virtual currency which can be acquired through either winning or paying real money. There are no "Create" elements or equalizers in any way.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #31
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

offliner weighing in:

I can see where MMAGAME's coming from, and Holbert playing devil's advocate.
Whenever I play with friends (couch) we all start off with CAFs having the same amount of points, moves, perks to pool from (creating different characters).

My impression of ranked is that you basically end up fighting the same top 3 fighters in their respective weightclasses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:

I know Madden used to be real teams but I wouldnt be surprised if they switched it to UT

I know both of their ranked modes consist of real teams.

I like the equal stats for tournaments but we have LEC for that.

Then when you look at other fighting game there are always S and A tier characters and then you have B,C and sometimes D,F tier characters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »