Home

There's literally no point in throwing head punches in your opponent''s guard

This is a discussion on There's literally no point in throwing head punches in your opponent''s guard within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: There's literally no point in throwing head punches in your opponent''s guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaza Expert
Unless you're postured up. Body punches in guard do the same damage I believe and they drain stamina so people just spam them over and over without end; there's zero incentive to attack the head in this position with hammerfists or other strikes.

The guard is a lot less deadly now too even for elite Jiu-jitsu fighters like Demian Maia; there's no triangle to armbar submission chain and submissions in general seem more difficult to pull off compared to UFC 2.

Also, the denial window for clinch entry is way too generous and the stamina penalty for failed attempts is too stiff. Clinch is worthless against a good opponent who can easily shrug it off at will. Even in the clinch, there are a variety of simple ways to break free beyond the clinch break animation which is already fast enough.

The Imanari Heel Hook is also worthless while the risk for even trying it is ridiculous; even if you, somehow, get to the first submission gate you'll just give up mount if your opponent breaks free. It got a massive range nerf so you can't always "pull guard" with it and the number of gates got doubled.

It's also, in my opinion, too easy getting an arm trap from the bottom of mount when your opponent postures up; it's bad to a point where I tend to avoid top Mount entirely in favor of side mount, kesa, back side mount, back mount, and crucifix.
It’d be nice if punches on the ground could cause cuts/swelling on your opponent and that would actual impact the fight
Old 10-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
Banned

Haz_____'s Arena

Re: There's literally no point in throwing head punches in your opponent''s guard

How do you deal damage on the ground? Against anyone good it feels very hard to get anything going. Any tips?
Old 10-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #11
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Rocked states on the ground would help. Have a threshold where the opponent could only take so much GnP or he'll get rocked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz_____
How do you deal damage on the ground? Against anyone good it feels very hard to get anything going. Any tips?
I for one want this answered too ... GNP tkos are kinda rear for me ...

In UFC 2 once you had some one had you in full mount you could sense the danger of the impemding Doom . Ufc 3 not so much . Elbows from the bottom should do damage tho ...

However with the lack of wrist control mechanics on the ground . It's transition block city ...

Well it's still a good game tho ...I've learnt to not get amped up after loosing to my mates . It's all in good fun

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #13
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

What's really missing are elbows from that position. Another thing that needs more attention is having these punches setup subs better. I feel like the game does try to do that, but it just doesnt blend as well as it should. I don't think GnP needs to be more powerful, but more meaningful, and having elbows from this position to bust fighters up and any type of strike to help open up the sub would do that...but maybe not with this sub system I guess. This sub system is kinda limited.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
What's really missing are elbows from that position. Another thing that needs more attention is having these punches setup subs better. I feel like the game does try to do that, but it just doesnt blend as well as it should. I don't think GnP needs to be more powerful, but more meaningful, and having elbows from this position to bust fighters up and any type of strike to help open up the sub would do that...but maybe not with this sub system I guess. This sub system is kinda limited.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Operation Sports mobile app
I wish we could feint posture up into a strike.

Kinda like in real life where guys posture for a second before throwing a bomb.

If you overuse it you’d run the risk of getting denied. But it’d allow you to do damage without giving up control
Old 10-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz_____
I just throw elbows from side mount, kesa, and crucifix; it's worked for me against even the best players but you gotta rely on intuition, reaction time, and guesswork to maintain control until you drain their stamina. Once you get them in crucifix with really low stamina they're done. You can also try posturing up in guard but that's less effective.

Don't bother posturing up in full mount because that's arm trap city; you'll just get swept or at best lose your stamina.

Edit: And back mount flat is deadly if you can get it. Just posture up and throw bombs.

Last edited by Newaza Expert; 10-02-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaza Expert
I just throw elbows from side mount, kesa, and crucifix; it's worked for me against even the best players but you gotta rely on intuition, reaction time, and guesswork to maintain control until you drain their stamina. Once you get them in crucifix with really low stamina they're done. You can also try posturing up in guard but that's less effective.

Don't bother posturing up in full mount because that's arm trap city; you'll just get swept or at best lose your stamina.

Edit: And back mount flat is deadly if you can get it. Just posture up and throw bombs.
What is kesa? Half guard postured is deadly. I get tons of finishes from side saddle+back side as well, I should make a GNP video honestly. I may do that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »