Home

Immersive, feasible grappling mechanic with the left stick

This is a discussion on Immersive, feasible grappling mechanic with the left stick within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Immersive yet feasible grappling mechanic with the left stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
Hey, I actually agree with you here. The circle is a way to show you how close you are to achieving a positional change substituting for your sense of touch in real life. This can be erased by having the animations tell you instead. If you're going to pass guard imminently, your character should be actively slicing the knee through, not holding their hands on the knee for a second while the circle fills.

In essence, it is the same system though.
Making the transitions fluid like this would go a long way. It adds the illusion of pace to the game.

This is where i think minor transitions would be great as it would speed up the bar filling mechanism, and basically replace feints.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #26
MVP

Re: Immersive, feasible grappling mechanic with the left stick

Imo the left stick should be streamlined to only be full body movements, ie moving, lunges etc. The right stick should be the more focused one, be focussed on smaller movements like in the grappling and headmovement.

Left stick should be for gets ups, strambles and takedowns. On the bottom it would be about where your having your weight. This would evolve takedowns and incorporate chain wrestling. That incombinatiom of minor transitions with the right stick, major would be right stick plus lb.

My controo scheme would be.

For LS
LT+RT+LS for Takedowns
RT+LS for Scrambles
RT+LB+LB for special scrambles, ie rolls and reversals
LS for get ups.

For RS
RS for minor
LB+RS for major
LB+RB+RS for special
RT+RS for blocks
RT+LB+RS for reversals
RT+RS for arm traps
LT+RS for subs
Old 11-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Hey, I actually agree with you here. The circle is a way to show you how close you are to achieving a positional change substituting for your sense of touch in real life. This can be erased by having the animations tell you instead. If you're going to pass guard imminently, your character should be actively slicing the knee through, not holding their hands on the knee for a second while the circle fills.

In essence, it is the same system though.
i hate the circles too, but the problem with removing them completely is, that currently its too unresponsive to rely on animations alone. But even more than that, when there is GA involved, sometimes the meters fill before the animation even starts, **** sometimes they fill completely with enough GA before you ever SEE it. So as the person performing the transition, its tough to tell when the game registers your transitional inputs based on animations alone.

On ps4 there seems to be so many little delays on the ground before you can do anything, I find the HUD helpful just to know when the delay is done.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticFighter
i hate the circles too, but the problem with removing them completely is, that currently its too unresponsive to rely on animations alone. But even more than that, when there is GA involved, sometimes the meters fill before the animation even starts, **** sometimes they fill completely with enough GA before you ever SEE it. So as the person performing the transition, its tough to tell when the game registers your transitional inputs based on animations alone.

On ps4 there seems to be so many little delays on the ground before you can do anything, I find the HUD helpful just to know when the delay is done.
Right, but we're talking about UFC4 where, presumably, they would be able to fix these issues.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #29
Banned

I think without the grey area being improved as well along with there being no dynamic scramble mechanic is most important for me as well as an authentic clinch and new positions. The biggest let down for me was there wasnt one new position added. Not even cage seated. Id of rather had that then cage takedowns. People dont like lay and pray because it doesnt look aesthetically pleasing. People wanted more from the grappling then the striking. That would of made it feel like a complete game in my eyes. We also need to have freeflowing combos and the choice between fast or hard strikes along with different animations to add dynamics for the same strike. Its realistic and must be included. I hate that instead of fast or hard modifiers(which ufc 2 and ud3 had) were forced to only throw overhands. L1 should be for fast strikes r1 for power strikes
Old 11-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #30
Banned

Irish0331's Arena

I really like this idea. You have my vote OP.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Right, but we're talking about UFC4 where, presumably, they would be able to fix these issues.
Ok, agreed. Yeah we had a discussion months ago about just locking the animations to the circle filling, so there was never a transition happening without an accompanying animation, guess nothing came of it. Some good ideas here though. We have tons of room for improvement, i'm interested to see what the devs come up with.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »