Home

Some thoughts on EA UFC 3 after having just bought it a few days ago.

This is a discussion on Some thoughts on EA UFC 3 after having just bought it a few days ago. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Some thoughts on EA UFC 3 after having just bought it a few days ago.

I only just bought EA UFC 3 a couple of days ago, but have managed to put a fair few hours into it and complete the career mode on Pro. It's a lot better than the Beta I played, but here's some things I want to see for EA UFC 4, if they even make another one.

1. Probably won't happen, but I'd love to see the ground game overhauled again. I much preferred the swoops and stuff from UD3 and EAUFC1. It felt more interactive.

2. I hate the meta-game that goes on for the ground game. Because of the grapple advantage system, there's way too much unrealistic stalling. Like, if the A.I gets you in full mount and postures up, half the time they'll just wait there for you to move or whatever. Compared to UD3, where when they posture up it's this frantic exciting moment, it just feels lacking.

3. Some really weird looking subs. The arm bar from top mount for example. In fights, you usually see the top fighter step over and sit into the armbar, but in EA UFC3, they do some weird straight arm-bar thing that you never see in real life.

Some weird positions on the ground too. The side saddle for example. How often do you actually see that in an MMA fight? I'm thinking not much.

I'm not a fan of the sub mini game at all. I know one day we'll probably get transition based subs, and that'll be great, but I feel like both UD3 and EA MMA had better subs systems. EA MMA, if I remember rightly had different ones for chokes and joint attacks which was nice.

4. Some of the take-downs look stupid. There's no other way to say it. They're usually the power ones. There's that one where they sort of step out to the side and sweep out your legs. It looks like a pro wrestling move almost.

5. Too many animations take way too long. I hate it when I stuff a takedown and it goes into that long-winded anim of my fighter sort of pulling them up and then pushing down into a sprawl position. It's so repetitive and slow. A lot of the takedown and TDD anims are like this. In UD3 they're all quick and realistic. You can do that double leg that drives them back. In EA UFC 3, the double leg looks more like a reactive takedown and just dumps them on the spot.

What's weird though, there is that one TDD anim where it is like a really quick snap down sprawl. I don't seem to see it often, but it looks great. There's some other fast takedowns I've seen that look awesome too. I think it's when you slip strikes or something, but they get taken down quick. Again, I hardly get them to happen.

6. I work as a game designer. One of the most important things to me is outcome design. If the outcome of a game's core loop isn't satisfying, it greatly reduces the chances of a player coming back to play the loop again.

This is probably the major problem for me at the moment with EA UFC 3. I generally love the part where I'm just on the fight, looking for openings, feinting, etc. The exchanges are all great as well. I think this particular part of the gameplay completely blows UD3 and any other MMA game away.

But again, the final outcome of all this ruins it for me. K.O's don't look realistic. Half the time it looks as if the KO'd fighter got hit by a shotgun. The force they snap around in seems totally off. Did EA UFC1 have non-ragdoll KO anims? I feel like it did and they seemed way more realistic to me.

I'd love to see some better TKO scenarios. They feel really lackluster as is. I didn't realize they added the TKO's against the cage. That's a nice addition, but it seems like this is by far the main KO I see.

All the other TKO scenarios seem odd. The fighters look odd when they transition into them compared to UD3, where they seem to just lunge on them and go straight into it.

There isn't enough of these TKO positions either. I loved in UD3 how you could do it standing against the cage and eventually put them down. That's pretty common in MMA fights.

UD3 had TKO positions from side control, back mount, back side control, etc, which are really common in MMA fights. Back side control especially.

Defending in these TKO positions is bad as well. Just mashing left and right on the stick doesn't really involve any skill, and for the attacker its the same. Mashing punch takes no skill either. UD3 did this perfectly I thought.

The actual strikes thrown for a TKO look weird as well. There's no drive through at all. It looks as if the attacker is just making impact and then quickly snapping their arm back.

Again, the outcome of a match needs to be satisfying for me. The vast majority of fights in the UFC end in what is essentially a TKO, that is, the attacker knocking their opponent down and following up with some strikes. This needs to look and feel so much better than it is, as well as having some actual skill to it whether attacking or defending.

Anyway, that's my novel written, for anyone that cares. Looking forward to seeing how GPD and the devs iterate on the next installment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Some thoughts on EA UFC 3 after having just bought it a few days ago.

special offers to attract more players come

I hope they can keep to update the patch to change the game.

This game requires long-term practice to get fun.
first time play, maybe will feel WTF ?
But if you keep trying a lot until you fully understand how to control

UFC3 will be interesting, except KO is not like UFC2 fun
but sometime glitche make fun again
Other things UFC3 is far exceeds UFC2

If you can't believe it
You can try to go back play UFC2
But you must already have fun in UFC3
Old 11-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden
I only just bought EA UFC 3 a couple of days ago, but have managed to put a fair few hours into it and complete the career mode on Pro. It's a lot better than the Beta I played, but here's some things I want to see for EA UFC 4, if they even make another one.

1. Probably won't happen, but I'd love to see the ground game overhauled again. I much preferred the swoops and stuff from UD3 and EAUFC1. It felt more interactive.

2. I hate the meta-game that goes on for the ground game. Because of the grapple advantage system, there's way too much unrealistic stalling. Like, if the A.I gets you in full mount and postures up, half the time they'll just wait there for you to move or whatever. Compared to UD3, where when they posture up it's this frantic exciting moment, it just feels lacking.

3. Some really weird looking subs. The arm bar from top mount for example. In fights, you usually see the top fighter step over and sit into the armbar, but in EA UFC3, they do some weird straight arm-bar thing that you never see in real life.

Some weird positions on the ground too. The side saddle for example. How often do you actually see that in an MMA fight? I'm thinking not much.

I'm not a fan of the sub mini game at all. I know one day we'll probably get transition based subs, and that'll be great, but I feel like both UD3 and EA MMA had better subs systems. EA MMA, if I remember rightly had different ones for chokes and joint attacks which was nice.

4. Some of the take-downs look stupid. There's no other way to say it. They're usually the power ones. There's that one where they sort of step out to the side and sweep out your legs. It looks like a pro wrestling move almost.

5. Too many animations take way too long. I hate it when I stuff a takedown and it goes into that long-winded anim of my fighter sort of pulling them up and then pushing down into a sprawl position. It's so repetitive and slow. A lot of the takedown and TDD anims are like this. In UD3 they're all quick and realistic. You can do that double leg that drives them back. In EA UFC 3, the double leg looks more like a reactive takedown and just dumps them on the spot.

What's weird though, there is that one TDD anim where it is like a really quick snap down sprawl. I don't seem to see it often, but it looks great. There's some other fast takedowns I've seen that look awesome too. I think it's when you slip strikes or something, but they get taken down quick. Again, I hardly get them to happen.

6. I work as a game designer. One of the most important things to me is outcome design. If the outcome of a game's core loop isn't satisfying, it greatly reduces the chances of a player coming back to play the loop again.

This is probably the major problem for me at the moment with EA UFC 3. I generally love the part where I'm just on the fight, looking for openings, feinting, etc. The exchanges are all great as well. I think this particular part of the gameplay completely blows UD3 and any other MMA game away.

But again, the final outcome of all this ruins it for me. K.O's don't look realistic. Half the time it looks as if the KO'd fighter got hit by a shotgun. The force they snap around in seems totally off. Did EA UFC1 have non-ragdoll KO anims? I feel like it did and they seemed way more realistic to me.

I'd love to see some better TKO scenarios. They feel really lackluster as is. I didn't realize they added the TKO's against the cage. That's a nice addition, but it seems like this is by far the main KO I see.

All the other TKO scenarios seem odd. The fighters look odd when they transition into them compared to UD3, where they seem to just lunge on them and go straight into it.

There isn't enough of these TKO positions either. I loved in UD3 how you could do it standing against the cage and eventually put them down. That's pretty common in MMA fights.

UD3 had TKO positions from side control, back mount, back side control, etc, which are really common in MMA fights. Back side control especially.

Defending in these TKO positions is bad as well. Just mashing left and right on the stick doesn't really involve any skill, and for the attacker its the same. Mashing punch takes no skill either. UD3 did this perfectly I thought.

The actual strikes thrown for a TKO look weird as well. There's no drive through at all. It looks as if the attacker is just making impact and then quickly snapping their arm back.

Again, the outcome of a match needs to be satisfying for me. The vast majority of fights in the UFC end in what is essentially a TKO, that is, the attacker knocking their opponent down and following up with some strikes. This needs to look and feel so much better than it is, as well as having some actual skill to it whether attacking or defending.

Anyway, that's my novel written, for anyone that cares. Looking forward to seeing how GPD and the devs iterate on the next installment.
Most recent patch notes to help you get caught up.
https://www.ea.com/games/ufc/ufc-3/n...play-update-10

And this is the patch notes that explain in depth how to get the undeniable Takedowns you mentioned: https://www.ea.com/games/ufc/ufc-3/n...eplay-update-6
Old 11-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

This was literally just a hey this is what ud3 did better and ufc 3 sucks thread in disguise

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzy678
This was literally just a hey this is what ud3 did better and ufc 3 sucks thread in disguise

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I didn't take it that way necessarily. I think the devs might even agree with a few of them. They were undoubtedly focused on overhauling striking and grappling was in a decent spot after it got the rehaul last game.

Still, I guarantee the devs have some things they'd have loved to accomplish with grappling this cycle that they just didn't have time and resources to get to. They've hinted at a few of them and there is some crossover between what they've hinted at and what he said here.

Also, i too wish there were more TKO's in the game and more animations for it. Most fights don't end with a guy getting his brain shut off. It's more the ref saying, alright this is enough and pulling a fighter off midstrike.

He never said the game sucked or anything. He gave some criticism and tried to put something behind each point.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizzzle
I didn't take it that way necessarily. I think the devs might even agree with a few of them. They were undoubtedly focused on overhauling striking and grappling was in a decent spot after it got the rehaul last game.

Still, I guarantee the devs have some things they'd have loved to accomplish with grappling this cycle that they just didn't have time and resources to get to. They've hinted at a few of them and there is some crossover between what they've hinted at and what he said here.

Also, i too wish there were more TKO's in the game and more animations for it. Most fights don't end with a guy getting his brain shut off. It's more the ref saying, alright this is enough and pulling a fighter off midstrike.

He never said the game sucked or anything. He gave some criticism and tried to put something behind each point.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I wasn't trying to hate on the game. That does nothing for me. I just really like MMA games, and analyzing games this way helps me with my own design work.

I compared EA UFC 3 to UD3 only because I do think UD3 is an overall better gameplay experience (EA is getting closer and closer every game) and that there is a lot to be taken away from UD3.

I do totally understand that the devs can't get in everything they want, and I know they're on a publishing cycle with EA UFC. I've only ever worked at one studio that had a deadline, and that was for a Nintendo published DS thing and it was pretty lax. Everything else has had no deadline, so I can imagine that it's pretty rough for GPD and the devs to make exactly what they want in just one game.

I think striking is in a very, very nice spot right now. It's not that I think the other systems are awful or anything, it's just everything else feels more or less lacking compared to UD3.

With striking feeling good, hopefully the next game they can really focus on all the other systems and create something really great.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeroXVII
Most recent patch notes to help you get caught up.
https://www.ea.com/games/ufc/ufc-3/n...play-update-10

And this is the patch notes that explain in depth how to get the undeniable Takedowns you mentioned: https://www.ea.com/games/ufc/ufc-3/n...eplay-update-6

Thanks for the links. Those undeniable takedowns are great! So much better than any of the others in the game.

That muscle modifier on the ground is nice as well.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
Rookie

The ground and pound and FNF moments should be done handmade instead of Mocap IMO. Looks way more impactful that way

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »