Home

Catching spin and side kicks

This is a discussion on Catching spin and side kicks within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Catching spin and side kicks

It doesn't change the fact it's possible to catch side and spinning kicks. This is similar to the parries and shifting strikes being removed rather than tweaked to be more realistic.

It wouldve been better imo to leave it in but make it much harder to catch those kicks like in reality. Now we have less options to deal with people spamming these kicks.

Sure you can side step them and drain stamina but limiting our options promotes the over use of a technique.

The same thing happened with boxing combos after parries were removed.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:51 AM   #10
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
It doesn't change the fact it's possible to catch side and spinning kicks. This is similar to the parries and shifting strikes being removed rather than tweaked to be more realistic.

It wouldve been better imo to leave it in but make it much harder to catch those kicks like in reality. Now we have less options to deal with people spamming these kicks.

Sure you can side step them and drain stamina but limiting our options promotes the over use of a technique.

The same thing happened with boxing combos after parries were removed.
Your gif is a poor example of catching a side kick though. In the gif you posted, the kick is caught at the knee, meaning it was thrown so close that the kick was unable to clear the opponent after the spin and landed more like a round kick than a straight kick, thus making the catch easier.

In the game, a close range spinning side kick will also get converted to a heel kick or hook kick, and should be catchable in that situation, just like the gif you posted.

Your argument would have more weight with a gif where the kick was caught at the foot with full extension, about to land after having cleared the body and with a straight trajectory.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:17 AM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Your gif is a poor example of catching a side kick though. In the gif you posted, the kick is caught at the knee, meaning it was thrown so close that the kick was unable to clear the opponent after the spin and landed more like a round kick than a straight kick, thus making the catch easier.

In the game, a close range spinning side kick will also get converted to a heel kick or hook kick, and should be catchable in that situation, just like the gif you posted.

Your argument would have more weight with a gif where the kick was caught at the foot with full extension, about to land after having cleared the body and with a straight trajectory.
My point doesn't rest on a gif example. It is merely demonstrating that it is possible.

My point is that it would have been better, imo, if catching side and spinning kicks were left in but made much harder to perform.

Limiting the catch just made people throw side and spinning kicks way more than you'd see irl now. The same thing happened with boxing combos after parries were removed.

I think they should return but be much harder to do, the same with parries and shifting strikes but with adjustment.

They needed to be fixed not removed. It affects the meta as we see now. The meta should be as close to reality as possible.

Without parries punches rules the meta currently. The change helped open it up to include more kicks but that could've been done without removing actual techniques.

I feel the same about checked leg kicks with how easy it is just by holding low block, you see way more checks in the game than in reality. It would be great if leg kicks got the same treatment body kicks got recently with move levels.

I think the one of most pressing issues is the lack of clinch options in these contexts. There should be a entry to back clinch after major lunging or evading certain spin attacks like the takedown. And of course a back clinch against the cage.

Spamming of any strike can be curbed easier if the clinch were had the same logic like takedowns now. Opppoent moving towards you- double leg and over/under. Opponent moving away- single leg and single collar. This would be similar the clinch parries of UD3.

A major issue with the clinch is that there is no open guard clinch. This is one of the biggest omissions of the game as it makes the clinch harder to grab in open stance.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #12

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
My point doesn't rest on a gif example. It is merely demonstrating that it is possible.
But you haven't actually demonstrated that it's possible yet. The fact that you didn't immediately counter with a proper video of it happening in a UFC fight gives more weight to Martial Mind's argument than your rebuttal did to yours.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:22 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
But you haven't actually demonstrated that it's possible yet. The fact that you didn't immediately counter with a proper video of it happening in a UFC fight gives more weight to Martial Mind's argument than your rebuttal did to yours.
I have. The game had it wrong by catching it by the foot which is extremely rare. It should've been like the gif I posted.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:35 AM   #14

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
I have. The game had it wrong by catching it by the foot which is extremely rare. It should've been like the gif I posted.
So you want low block to manage distance for you against one particular strike?

Or are you arguing for it to behave the way it already does in game right now?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #15
MVP

Quote:
So you want low block to manage distance for you against one particular strike?

Or are you arguing for it to behave the way it already does in game right now?
I think it's wrong to have the input for catching and checking kicks be assigned to such an easy input as low block. That is the first problem. It was better with the old parry input.

I am arguing for more catchable strikes that get you into the clinch like UD3 with clinch flick parries.

I am arguing for close range spin kicks which can be caught like the gif I posted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2018, 01:47 AM   #16
MVP

john will literally just post the same message over and over again regardless of what you say to him. Best to just save your time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »