Home

PES 17: Things to improve on

This is a discussion on PES 17: Things to improve on within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2016, 12:21 AM   #1
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1
PES 17: Things to improve on

I'll start by clearing the air on the title - I love this game. I think it's fun, I have not stopped playing it, and it is a vast improvement over last year's title - in fact, this is the first year in ages I don't even play FIFA. That being said, video games ... sports games in particular, need to be criticized, so I'm starting this thread in case anyone who has any say in the development process of PES can read this. Feel free to add your point to this thread, comment if you believe I'm wrong in a way, or simply read through.

People in the soccer forum this year have mostly split into two groups: those who love PES and play it, and those who have moved on to FIFA. I am obviously one of those who still enjoy playing this game, and as such, I have a few lingering issues I'd love to see cleared up. They are as follows ...

Goalies

Goalies were much improved over 16, but there are obviously still some issues:
1) Goalies seem like they were tweaked, not fixed.
What I mean is, they are largely unchanged from last year in movement. There seem to be a couple new animations which is great, but so many issues remain, like floating animations, poor performance in a crowd(punching instead of catching is one) and diving for really easy saves. The animations were not tweaked at all, and I believe you can tell because the goalies start their dives sooo early sometimes. I've seen them begin their dive before the ball has even left the foot of the attacker.

Player Paths

1) Marking and Playmaking
This is a huge one, as players look pretty good running around, but it's not uncommon to see a player run a path that makes no sense what so ever. Players sometimes run right past the ball with no awareness at all, or they change direction to perform a task that is less important. It seems like the AI has difficulties deciding which task is most important to that player.

2) Sidelines
I think we've all been annoyed by the control of the players running after a ball heading towards the sidelines. Terrible angle of approach prevent the player from retrieving the ball when they should so obviously have possession of it. Granted, we have SUPER CANCEL. It works often, but it is a tad buggy around the sidelines, and doesnt always seem to function the way it should.

Player Control

General Movement
Another one that might just bother me more than other people. I'm mostly fine with the feeling of player control, but there are many instances where it's tough to do what you want, and the sometimes delayed controls get in the way. Ive seen shots and passes that are far too delayed, but its not consistent. It's also not only during key moments, like how FIFA delays you kicking the ball seemingly only when you are guaranteed a goal. It just seems a bit bugged.

Skill Moves
This one is leaps and bounds behind FIFA. Many of the skill moves are actually better looking, in my opinion. They are just tough as heck to pull off. Some feints and stepovers are so slow, they are literally slower than me IRL. Others just require an absolute perfect sequence to pull off, and while I'm totally ok with the idea of certain skill moves being hard, there is no dynamic aspect to them - they look the exact same every time. It'd be great if the worse the player, the harder the move to pull off, and the less perfect you move the sticks, the more accident-prone your move is.

Refereeing

General Fouls
We all know the fouls aren't right ... but they're getting better. The contact system is pretty darn good as well. Foul replays usually look fairly believable, and I enjoy seeing the different ways players crash into eachother. That being said, there is a need for more/better foul calls. In my opinion, they can and have done it, but their current gameplay balance does not play nicely with the foul calls, which is why they havent put it in. There needs to be slightly less foul-physical gameplay, and slightly more sensitive refereeing.

Red Cards
We've all seen many tackles that should have been given a red, given a yellow instead. Many that have not been awarded a card at all, where in the EPL the tackle would have been a major talking point for the week.

This is heavily linked with the above point, so I'm ok with the refs not handing out enough red cards for now, but it really can kill the immersion.

Penalty Shots
Also linked to the above point. There definitely need to be more penalty shots. There are usually several penalty shots every week in the EPL, and I can go a whole season without seeing one, again, killing immersion.

Master League and BAL

General
Both modes need an overhaul. I'd be ok with some added reality sprinkled throughout ML, but BAL is hurting right now. In ML I'd love to see replays of the week(which has been done in other games, much, much older than this one), as well as transfers made a little more realistic, i.e. - certain players making weird moves and most teams picking up two players at a time.

I like the stories in ML, but there is not enough variance. Enabling users to play Master League online, would give PES a massive boost over FIFA.

Too many decent players are unassigned to teams, and too easy for the AI and Human to sign. This needs to be addressed.

Edit Mode

General
Edit mode made a great comeback this year on PS4, which is very welcomed. It would be great if somehow Edit Mode and Live Updates were more aware of eachother.

Another spectacular idea is to have "dummy leagues" hidden in the game, so that instead of clumsily overwriting a league in the game, we can create fresh leagues instead. This way, the MLS could be more properly represented, and other leagues like Bundes Liga would be a breeze, nevermind the ability to add other leagues, like the Russian and Greek leagues. There are some major teams in those leagues that arent well represented, and some great players in those leagues that arent even in the game.

If you read this, I apologize for the wall of text, and applaud you for making it through. Please leave some comments of things you believe need work in the PES as well, so we can hopefully influence future games so they are better and better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: PES 17: Things to improve on

Good stuff here.

For me the things I would like to see fixed are pass assist and player positioning. I'd like to see an additional level added between pass assist 1 and no assist. I don't like playing without pass assist and with assist my passing is pretty much perfect which isn't very realistic.

I wish they would give you more freedom in player positioning when you make custom formations. I mean so that your formation in game would look the same you have set in game plan but instead moving players around doesn't matter that much. You can't set your forwards to defend even if you set them as low as possible and your midfields don't press properly if you set them as high as possible.

Even with these faults it's still a great game.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
Rookie

More immersion, no more black screen then your players are moved, subs running the touch line, stat overlays, repays of goals not just after you've scored one, more visually reactive crowd, ect...

BAL & ML, needs a little refreshing...BAL could have press conferences. Both could stand and actual youth system where you could actually play youth games and bring in new talent to the youth team

Last edited by emack32; 11-16-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

Keepers are waaaaaaaaaaay better, I haven't encountered a "r-tarded" moment with any keeper yet- encountered about 50 of them in FIFA 17 so far though.

The penalty kick could use a bit of a boost, I've had 2 so far in ML, practically none in other modes. Refs are making calls unlike in 2016 they may as well not even exist in last year's game and I'm seeing a handful of red cards, played my ML Bayern Munich team against Augsburg and 3 of the Augsburg players got red carded in one match (AI seemed to get very aggressive near their box).
Old 11-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
Rookie

shifty's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm a big fan of editing so I would love to see a few of these things implemented or returned from previous games:

-stadium editor
-ability to add chants
-ability to customise referee face/strictness level and add uniform
-ability to create coaches models and see them on the sideline
-no limit on image uploads
-bring back the option to change hair style on preset faces

I really enjoy the game play but like you said there's a few things that would make it almost perfect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2016, 03:08 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-fast
Skill Moves
This one is leaps and bounds behind FIFA. Many of the skill moves are actually better looking, in my opinion. They are just tough as heck to pull off. Some feints and stepovers are so slow, they are literally slower than me IRL. Others just require an absolute perfect sequence to pull off, and while I'm totally ok with the idea of certain skill moves being hard, there is no dynamic aspect to them - they look the exact same every time. It'd be great if the worse the player, the harder the move to pull off, and the less perfect you move the sticks, the more accident-prone your move is.
I just made the switch to PES this year and I'm quite happy with how much more difficult it is to pull off skill moves. I got very frustrated with FIFA (last year especially) playing against better competition because it felt like skill moves were used so often it felt like I was playing Street Fighter and just getting hit with fireball after fireball all game. It felt nothing like soccer but like NBA Street.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
I'm a big fan of editing so I would love to see a few of these things implemented or returned from previous games:

-stadium editor
-ability to add chants
-ability to customise referee face/strictness level and add uniform
-ability to create coaches models and see them on the sideline
-no limit on image uploads
-bring back the option to change hair style on preset faces

I really enjoy the game play but like you said there's a few things that would make it almost perfect.
Couldnt agree more. Stadium editor would be absolutely amazing. Like a real one - fully featured.

All your points are great, and I'd be so happy if they brought back chant importing.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmaz
I just made the switch to PES this year and I'm quite happy with how much more difficult it is to pull off skill moves. I got very frustrated with FIFA (last year especially) playing against better competition because it felt like skill moves were used so often it felt like I was playing Street Fighter and just getting hit with fireball after fireball all game. It felt nothing like soccer but like NBA Street.
While I can see your point, it can be a bit hard to pull off some easier skill moves in Pro Evo sometimes. Also, theyre not as dynamic as they are in FIFA. In FIFA you have better control over your exits, which makes them dynamic and different, as well as speed has an effect on skill mvoes, making them different. In Pro Evo, its the same skill move every time, carbon copy. I totally accept it for the time being, but it needs to change if Pro Evo is to move forward.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »