Home

Comic Book Fans....

This is a discussion on Comic Book Fans.... within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #113
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: Comic Book Fans....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Hopefully there's still interest in this topic:

Anywho I finally finished reading the "Face the Face" storyline in the bat-books and I was surprised by the twist to the story. I was also touched by the final scene between Batman and Robin.
I finished this out last night, it was a good story. I kinda figured what happened at the end between Bats and Robin would happen just because of all the bad stuff happening to Robin over the last year or so. It was a good moment though. They are really trying to humanize Batman recently, I wonder if it will carry over to the next creative teams.

I also finished the Superman 8-issue story Up, Up, and Away last night. That was one good story. I enjoyed it again. It was like an alternate Superman Returns storyline. I thought the art wasn't too consistent throughout the 8-issues, but the writing was outstanding.

Those of you that like to pick up the TPBs, I definitely reccomend the Batman: Face the Face and the Superman: Up, Up, and Away books when they hit TPB. FYI, I noticed this week that the Batman: City of Crime TPB came out. I didn't really enjoy this story when it came out in the monthly issues last year. I think it started pretty good, but I lost interest in it half way and it also got interrupted by the War Crimes crossover. It is a big story though, 12 issues.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 07-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #114
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

ok since no one answered me in the Deadpool thread... I was wondering is getting into the Marvel Civil War worth it for someone who has never read comics before? Like would I be over my head and not understanding what's going on?

I want to get into it, but with no background in comics I'm worried I'd be lost on most of the characters backstories.

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #115
Th* m*n...

Slymm's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
ok since no one answered me in the Deadpool thread... I was wondering is getting into the Marvel Civil War worth it for someone who has never read comics before? Like would I be over my head and not understanding what's going on?

I want to get into it, but with no background in comics I'm worried I'd be lost on most of the characters backstories.

I personally, think that you would be alright. You know who Capt. America, Iron Man, and the Avengers are right?
NBA: Los Angeles Lakers
MLB: San Francisco Giants
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #116
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

I've heard of them... but I don't know their backstories....

I mean I know Capt. America is Steve Rodgers

Iron Man is Tony Stark

And I'm a little fuzzy on the Avengers but I know they have Hawkeye...

I guess Wikipedia could fill in the rest of the gaps needed for me to understand the Civil War.

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:01 PM   #117
Th* m*n...

Slymm's Arena

OVR: 22

Honestly, thats probably all you need to know.

Cap and Tony were both members of the Avengers. They were kinda Co-Leaders. The Avengers consist of Cap, Iron Man, Spiderwoman, Luke Cage, The Sentry, Spiderman and Wolverine.

Tony Stark and Spiderman have a mentor/mentee relationship.

That's pretty much all you really need to be able to follow it. You can probably pick up Spidey's Civil War issues, Civil War Frontline 1 and 2, and New Avengers 21 if you want. I don't think that they are necessary. They are the Civil War tie in issues you can tell which ones are from the big Civil War banner across the cover.

Hawkeye is dead but clues have been spread about that suggest otherwise.
NBA: Los Angeles Lakers
MLB: San Francisco Giants
Old 07-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #118
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
I've heard of them... but I don't know their backstories....

I mean I know Capt. America is Steve Rodgers

Iron Man is Tony Stark

And I'm a little fuzzy on the Avengers but I know they have Hawkeye...

I guess Wikipedia could fill in the rest of the gaps needed for me to understand the Civil War.
You can also just find web sites on just about any character, and they provide alot of Bio's and or back stories.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #119
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Probably not the right thread, but at least its comic-book related. Anyway, I watched the entire first season of Smallville this past week because my brother bought them on DVD. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up all of them within the next month or two because I watched an episode on TV the other night and it showed Johnathan getting elected to the senate. Anyway, I'm curious as to how true Smallville is to the history of Superman, especially Lana Lang's character.

And back on topic 100%. I read the first volume of Batman: No Man's Land and liked it enough to pick up the second volume and flip through it, but the art work completely turned me off. I was indifferent to the art in the first volume, but grew to like it, but the cartoony feeling of the second volume just made me put down the series and pick up a novel. Anyway, is the story arch worth finishing and trudging along through the crappy, cartoony art?

Old 07-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #120
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
Probably not the right thread, but at least its comic-book related. Anyway, I watched the entire first season of Smallville this past week because my brother bought them on DVD. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up all of them within the next month or two because I watched an episode on TV the other night and it showed Johnathan getting elected to the senate. Anyway, I'm curious as to how true Smallville is to the history of Superman, especially Lana Lang's character.
Not too true anymore. When it started out it seemed to go along pretty well, but once they brought in Lois, it really changed things up and just the continuing kryptonite freaks never plays into the comics. But the first couple years with Lana and Pete really seemed like it could be the Clark Kent from the movies and the comics. Since the show, they've gone back and worked in some elements of the show into the comics. They made Clark's parents in the comics much younger and even have Lex and Clark as friends in Smallville again, which used to only really be part of the old Superboy history, if I remember right, I never really cared for old Superboy stories. As for Lana's Smallville character and her comics character, there's not much to even talk about. She's not very important to Superman's overall story in the comics these days. They have had a couple stories about her since Smallville came out, but she has mainly just come across as a girl still in love with Clark even though she is married to Pete Ross. But you rarely even see her in the comics, maybe once every two years a story might have her in it. She's only around really in flashback stories, but she really isn't anything like the character in Smallville except that she and Clark like each other. The Birthright Superman mini-series were the comics that brought Lex into Smallville as a kid and even mentions his corrupt dad, but you never see him. There's been a couple more comics that dealt with Lex and Clark in Smallville as friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
And back on topic 100%. I read the first volume of Batman: No Man's Land and liked it enough to pick up the second volume and flip through it, but the art work completely turned me off. I was indifferent to the art in the first volume, but grew to like it, but the cartoony feeling of the second volume just made me put down the series and pick up a novel. Anyway, is the story arch worth finishing and trudging along through the crappy, cartoony art?
I would imagine the art in that TPB would be a little odd. I'm guessing the TPB volumes have all the different stories. No Man's Land went through all the Bat-family books for a year(Batman, Detective, Nightwing, Birds of Prey, Catwoman, Robin, etc), all with different creative teams. There were probably 2 storylines per title as well throughout No Man's Land. It was definitely an epic event in Batman's history. But the stories in it were hit and miss IMO. Looking back, there are probably 3 or 4 continuing stories that came out of No Man's Land. It's worth reading, not sure if it is worth buying all the trades for it though. If you can find all the trades at a bookstore, maybe just read them there.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators

Last edited by aukevin; 07-14-2006 at 06:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »