Home

Old 05-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Comic Book Fans....

I'm reading Batman and Superman these days. I can't wait for Paul Dini's sceduled run on Batman sometime this summer. If you don't know he's the guy that was in charge of the great Batman cartoon series in the '90s.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #10
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Buy single issues of comics that you think you will like. By waiting for them to hopefully be collected in a trade brings down the sales for the single issues and can lead to a title being cancelled. You don't really have to worry about that with the big titles like Superman, Spidey, etc, but smaller titles need the single issue support. If they aren't bought as single issues, they might not make it to a trade.

Anyway, off the soapbox ....

If you are interested in the Marvel comics, they are just now starting their Civil War crossover. You probably need to get started on it now before it gets going too much. I'm not sure of the details of it because I don't read Marvel much but from what I've heard is that the Marvel universe of superheroes are split over an issue of superhuman registration. I think Captain America and Iron Man are leading up opposite sides. Someone else more familiar with it might explain it more.

The world I'm more connected to is the DC comics world. They just wrapped up a major storyline called Infinite Crisis where the an alternate Luthor and alternate Superboy tried to reform the Earth into a better version. They just wrapped up that story which has now jumped all titles one year into the future and you are left wondering what has happened. For instance Superman has no powers, Batman has been gone for a year and has just returned and other stuff. The one year later titles have been great IMO. Kicking off last week was an issue called 52. This comic comes out weekly for the next year to fill in what happens between the final issue of Infinite Crisis and the One Year Later jump.

The Wildstorm Universe of comics is relaunching some of thier big titles this fall like Wildcats, Gen 13, Authority, Wetworks, etc. I'm really excited about these.

Anyway, that's some of the stuff going on in "superhero" type comics right now. There's plenty other stuff as well, but that's the DC and Marvel headlines.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 05-13-2006, 11:54 PM   #11
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Hey Aukevin just how many miniseries were connected to IC? It seemed to me that if one were to collect the issues (not TPB) you'd have close to 100 comics alone! (that might be an exaggeration but still)

Oh and I never thought i'd see such a dumb concept as Orca return in DC.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2006, 01:00 AM   #12
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Hey Aukevin just how many miniseries were connected to IC? It seemed to me that if one were to collect the issues (not TPB) you'd have close to 100 comics alone! (that might be an exaggeration but still)

Oh and I never thought i'd see such a dumb concept as Orca return in DC.
I don't really follow comics at all... but I've been trying to get into it anyways... well I was reading about this whole IC thing way before it took place on IGN... and from what I understood, the IC affected every single series of DC comics there was... so if the comic is set in the DC univerise I believe it was shot forward a year... when you think about it, that is a ton of comics coming out weekly for the next year.

Ok guys I think I'm going to start getting into comics... but I want something exciting, that's not so mainstream... I mean Marvel or DC is fine... but I don't want to read about Spiderman, Superman or X-Men... what else is out there? Is there anything like about cops, or zombies, or vampires or some other crazy concept... random stuff like that? I assume GI Joe's are still around but I'm really into that... So what do you guys think I should look into?

BTW for all you graphic novel fans HALO is about to release a HALO GN on July 12....It's here on IGN http://comics.ign.com/articles/708/708355p1.html

Here's a pic from the Graphic Novel

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:11 AM   #13
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

I was just talkin to a friend of mine about getting back into comics. I used to be a fan of the big marvel titles as a kid: X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic 4, etc. Daredevil was my favorite, I especially liked the 4 or 5 part mini-series that chronicled his origin.

I was wondering if anyone was into Iron Man? Is that generally revered as a good comic? He's one that I never got into, but listening to some old Ghostface CD's had me thinking about it, and he seems like an interesting character. Like Marvels version of batman. Does he have anything new coming out or any TPB's? (man I learned alot just from the few comic fans in this thread)

EDIT:

Wow, I just learned alot about Ironman on wikipedia. Ultimate Ironman seems like an especially interesting character. It's funny that Ghostface is what made me think of him, but whats funnier is that hes mentioned on wikipedia under the heading "popular culture".

Quote:
The rapper Ghostface Killah, a member of Wu-Tang Clan, titled his 1996 debut solo album Ironman, and has since continued to use lyrics related to the Iron Man comics and samples from the animated TV shows on his records. He has also adopted the nickname Tony Starks (cq) as one of his numerous alter-egos, and the title of his 2004 release The Pretty Toney Album is believed to come from a stylization of this.

Last edited by Streets; 05-14-2006 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:24 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 11

I never read comics but I watched all the Marvel/DC cartoons when I was a kid. I just recently bought Astonishing X-Men because i'm a big Joss Whedon fan. It's a Hardcover with 12 issues and I loving it so far.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:08 AM   #15
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Superstar, Sin City is a great series to get into if you're not looking for the typical good guy vs bad guy stuff.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2006, 02:45 AM   #16
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

well I loved the movie... maybe I'll check out the Graphic Novels

Other than that... are there any good superhero comics that less mainstream? I guess Iron Man sounds like a good thing to check into...

Does Deadpool have a comic? Or is he just a villian in the X-Men universe?

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »