Home

Old 05-14-2006, 03:08 AM   #17
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: Comic Book Fans....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Hey Aukevin just how many miniseries were connected to IC? It seemed to me that if one were to collect the issues (not TPB) you'd have close to 100 comics alone! (that might be an exaggeration but still)

Oh and I never thought i'd see such a dumb concept as Orca return in DC.
There were TONS of them it seemed. There was the single leadin, Countdown to IC, then there were 4 4-issue minis which crossed over between the Superman and Wonder Woman books. Then there was the 7-issue Infinite Crisis. There were also 4 more specials during that 7-issue run. Also each title pretty much had some kind of connection to the IC thing going through its 7 issues, but they weren't all too important. Nothing to make me buy anything outside my normal pull list. I think I read somewhere once that it came out to over $200 (I would probably think higher, but I've never really calculated it) if you bought everything connected with the story. I probably bought 80% of them But all in all, it's been real fun to me. Like I said earlier, the one year later comics have been really good for all the titles and they are getting set to relaunch Wonder Woman, Flash, JLA, and the JSA because events out of IC and whatever happens in 52. I already read JLA and JSA, but everything has been so good, I'll be picking up WW and Flash for a few months to see what all comes of those characters. Right now, it is still a question who the Flash will be (I don't read the spoilers if they are out there).

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators

Last edited by aukevin; 05-14-2006 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:15 AM   #18
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar

Ok guys I think I'm going to start getting into comics... but I want something exciting, that's not so mainstream... I mean Marvel or DC is fine... but I don't want to read about Spiderman, Superman or X-Men... what else is out there? Is there anything like about cops, or zombies, or vampires or some other crazy concept... random stuff like that? I assume GI Joe's are still around but I'm really into that... So what do you guys think I should look into?
I think fossen would be the guy for that, from reading his blog he seems like a lot of the non-mainstream, non-"superhero" type. I prefer the superhero comic, but cop stories are interesting to me too. I really liked the Gotham Central line. It recently ended but they are putting them out in trades. It's basically a story about the Gotham police force doing their job without need Batman's help. It was written by Greg Rucka and really good.

The only real non-mainstream I read are Wildstorm stuff, and that is still pretty much recongized, just not many people read it. The ones I mentioned earlier are all part of the Wildstorm Universe (which is owned by DC anyways), but they all originated out of the Image comics universe in the mid-90's.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 05-14-2006, 03:37 AM   #19
Regular Cat RecordsŪ

3rdAnswer's Arena

OVR: 24

The Ironman comic books out now are wonderful. It's the extremis Ironman. This girl Maya built him this suit that runs at the speed of thought, its wild. I read about it in his own comic book and the New Avengers comics.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
well I loved the movie... maybe I'll check out the Graphic Novels

Other than that... are there any good superhero comics that less mainstream? I guess Iron Man sounds like a good thing to check into...

Does Deadpool have a comic? Or is he just a villian in the X-Men universe?

I'm not really sure whats considered mainstream. The Ultimates 2 has had a great run which is basically a take on the Avengers in Marvel's Ultimate Universe (so its Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, Giant-Man and a few others). The New X-Men comic has been getting rave reviews lately as well and I doubt you'd be familiar with any of the characters in there. A friend of mine raves about the Savage Dragon series and Blood of the Demon. I've never read them though, but he is a huge comic book guy.

A non-mainstream trade that is really good would be The Watchmen. They're currently planning a movie based around it so expect it to eventually be catapaulted into the mainstream much like Sin City was. It is a very good read though and the entire story is contained in one trade so its not a long-term commitment.

Deadpool currently has an on-going series with Cable. I haven't read it though so I don't know if its any good.

As far as I know, the Civil War arc is about the superhuman/mutant registration act that divides the superhero community. It follows a storyline in which the Avengers were disassembled and the X-Men going through their Decimation arc (the aftermath of last summer's House of M plotline in which the majority of the mutant population was left powerless, including Magneto and Xavier). The leaders of each side being promoted looks to be Captain America (with some allies being Wolverine and Human Torch) and Iron Man (who appears to have Spider-Man, Colossus and others on his side). It is just starting so I don't know much more than what the teaser ad's have given away (I avoid reading plot spoilers on the web, which Marvel seems to love releasing for some reason). There are some trailers for the event here that don't give anything away: http://www.marvel.com/news/-1.380

Last edited by Misfit; 05-14-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #21
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

There is a series that I would like to get into it is called Preacher. The "good guy" is, as the title suggests, or was a Preacher..

Quote:
Here's a book guaranteed to offend a bunch of people, not only because of its profuse profanity and graphic violence, but because it's the epitome of iconoclasm. Like a brutal accident, you can't watch but you can't turn away. The story follows an ex-preacher man, Jesse, who has become disgusted with God's abandoning of His responsibilities. So Jesse starts off into the wilds of Texas with his hitman girlfriend and new best friend (a vampire) to find God so that he can give Him a piece of his mind. Despite its superficial perversity, this book contains what may be the most moral character in mainstream comics. A cult hit in the making. Fans of Quentin Tarantino take note.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #22
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
There is a series that I would like to get into it is called Preacher. The "good guy" is, as the title suggests, or was a Preacher..

Now that sounds interesting!

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #23
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I believe God is supposed to be "the bad guy" in it. Pretty damn controversial if you ask me!

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #24
All Star

OVR: 25

Controversy sells.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »