Home

Comic Book Fans....

This is a discussion on Comic Book Fans.... within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #417
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Comic Book Fans....

As Christmas presents I just got VOL #1 & #2 of Batman.Hush in softcover and hardcovers of Joker (Brian Azzarello, art by Lee Bermejo) and Superman Last Son. Any comments?
Old 12-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #418
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
A little old, but what do you guys think of the new Spider-man twist with everything being erased?
Here's the thing. The whole point of OMD/BND was to tell Spider-Man stories that they theoretically couldn't tell with Spidey being married to MJ. Problem I have is that every story since could have been told without the horrible retcon (not to mention the process by which it happened was illogical for a spider-Man book), as well as the fact most if not all the stories and villians introduced are all sub par.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:17 AM   #419
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
As Christmas presents I just got VOL #1 & #2 of Batman.Hush in softcover and hardcovers of Joker (Brian Azzarello, art by Lee Bermejo) and Superman Last Son. Any comments?

The Joker GN is up there with some of the greatest comics ever. At least the greatest Joker story ever told, digging into his psyche the way it does.

Batman: Hush i'm not a big fan of because i didn't like the Hush character that was introduced, though the story is entertaining. The Heart of Hush storyline they just ended a month or two ago in Detective Comics was a good read as well.

Can't comment on Superman, not a fan of Superman at all. Never was never will be.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #420
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

I got the hardcover, "deluxe" version of The Killing Joke and the hardcover "Joker" graphic novel. Haven't read the latter yet, but I plan on doing that today.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #421
All Star

OVR: 25

The "Joker" graphic novel is excellent. A bit brief and perhaps a little too close to the Dark Knight in terms of looks but otherwise very enjoyable. It resides only behind Moore's "Killing Joke" as the best Joker story.

I very much enjoyed the Hush story. Assuming no one has spoiled anything for you, its a pretty fun mystery and I love Jim Lee's artwork.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #422
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

I need to start reading up on these Joker novels. I'll check them out today after work or sometime during maybe.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #423
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

Just wanna make a few suggestions on stuff people may not be reading.

1. The Walking Dead - Yes its a zombie story, but its not the focus of the story its more of a backdrop than anything. Most of the more moving/best issues don't have the zombies in it at all. Actually some of the "living" are actually worse than the zombies themselves.

2. The Dark Tower mini's - Anyone who's read Stephen Kings dark tower series knows the premise behind it. The art is top notch, and the writers of the comics (names escape me at the moment.) stay true to the books. Note that they are Rolands story when he was younger before the story that occurs in the books (though it is based some on Wizard and Glass)

3.Garth Ennis' recent run on Punisher MAX. Its punisher. Violence. Death. Garth Ennis' warped vision. Basically what the punisher SHOULD be. No superheros. Just grit and grime.

There's some other stuff out there, but thats all for now.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #424
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ

2. The Dark Tower mini's - Anyone who's read Stephen Kings dark tower series knows the premise behind it. The art is top notch, and the writers of the comics (names escape me at the moment.) stay true to the books. Note that they are Rolands story when he was younger before the story that occurs in the books (though it is based some on Wizard and Glass)
I'm looking forward to checking this out once I finish the books. Halfway through Book 6.

Now the bolded part. I seriously read that as "Say true" a few times before finally realizing what you actually wrote. Too much Dark Tower Series and those darn people from the Calla.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »