Home

HD Video Capture Card

This is a discussion on HD Video Capture Card within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
EA Game Changer

gschwendt's Arena

OVR: 12
HD Video Capture Card

Anyone setup their PC to capture HD video yet?

Right now I capture NCAA online league games from my PS2 but of course those are in SD, not HD. Well, I have the PS3 and when I get the game over the summer, I'd like to be able to continue capturing games.

I dont mind if I capture in SD or HD, just so long as I can capture on the PC and play in HD on my TV. I've looked at several solutions and right now the best one is an HDMI capture card from BlackMagic but its $250 and I'd like to stay closer to the $100 ballpark. Anyway, if anyone has any help Id appreciate it.

btw... it doesnt matter to me if I used HDMI or component cables.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
MVP

warnerwlf98's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: HD Video Capture Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschwendt
Anyone setup their PC to capture HD video yet?

Right now I capture NCAA online league games from my PS2 but of course those are in SD, not HD. Well, I have the PS3 and when I get the game over the summer, I'd like to be able to continue capturing games.

I dont mind if I capture in SD or HD, just so long as I can capture on the PC and play in HD on my TV. I've looked at several solutions and right now the best one is an HDMI capture card from BlackMagic but its $250 and I'd like to stay closer to the $100 ballpark. Anyway, if anyone has any help Id appreciate it.

btw... it doesnt matter to me if I used HDMI or component cables.
I was interested in an HD capture method too and didn't know this card existed. I'd like a capture card with component inputs, but BlackMagic puts out an expensive card that uses BNC connectors instead of RCA jacks. It's also close to $1500 (which is a lot more expnsive than the HDMI input only card). What else have you looked into?

-OS Radio Show

(I don't remember who said this but PM me who did say it, and I'll quote him properly)
Old 01-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
EA Game Changer

gschwendt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerwlf98
I was interested in an HD capture method too and didn't know this card existed. I'd like a capture card with component inputs, but BlackMagic puts out an expensive card that uses BNC connectors instead of RCA jacks. It's also close to $1500 (which is a lot more expnsive than the HDMI input only card). What else have you looked into?
well, someone else put me onto this device. Its not quite the standard device but looking into it, it could do the trick. Best I can tell, it wont capture in actual HD (it down converts to D1-720x480) but that doesnt bother me as it will keep video file size down. Im asking on the user forums for that device to see if I can get some answers to it... if I find anything worthwhile then Ill reply back here.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
EA Game Changer

gschwendt's Arena

I got my answer...

looks like I might have to go ahead and invest in this product as well as some PS3 component cables
Old 01-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
I got my answer...

looks like I might have to go ahead and invest in this product as well as some PS3 component cables
I hear PS2 component cables work with the PS3. You can get some on Ebay for very cheap. Like 3-4$ plus shipping.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
EA Game Changer

gschwendt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
I hear PS2 component cables work with the PS3. You can get some on Ebay for very cheap. Like 3-4$ plus shipping.
Yeah... I know they do but I'd rather get the actual sony branded cables because I've heard some say that off brand cables aren't as crisp. If someone can tell me for sure that it doesnt matter, that will really help me out. But either way, I probably won't be getting this device for a month or two and newegg has sony branded ps2 component cables for $20 so that's not too bad.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Yeah... I know they do but I'd rather get the actual sony branded cables because I've heard some say that off brand cables aren't as crisp. If someone can tell me for sure that it doesnt matter, that will really help me out. But either way, I probably won't be getting this device for a month or two and newegg has sony branded ps2 component cables for $20 so that's not too bad.
It for sure doesn't matter. Cables are cables, (possibly with optical being a bit different depending on how carefully it is terminated.) if they make a solid connection to both inputs you're fine.

Side note - Composites will work in place of components providing you match up the ends (ie, red composite placed in red gun for component, while other end of red composite placed where red gun receiver goes in, yellow to blue, white to green) (I know this doesn't help with the PS2/PS3 thing, but just a general bit of info.)
Coaxle audio cable can be substitued for any RCA cable also.

Monster is quite possibly the smartest company on the planet - Their cost $2.35 with packaging, your cost $99.99
Old 02-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Did you get the card? Impressions please!
Follow me on Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »