Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
The Best Sports Game of 2019: MLB The Show 19
The Best Franchise Mode of 2019: NBA 2K20's MyLeague
Worst Trend in Sports Games in 2019: Single-Player Modes Getting Shafted
Who wins Super Bowl LIV? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #8049
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30
What movies have you seen recently?

Wolf on Wall Street

It was okay. Just a little to raunchy for my tastes. I know it should be expected from a Scorcese film, but he took it to a whole 'notha level in this one. I laughed a ton though.
PSN: xxplosive1984
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/os_scoobysnax/profile

Last edited by ScoobySnax; 12-28-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #8050
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Don Jon - Nowhere near as good as I was hoping or expecting it to be. Not terrible either though. I think I was expecting it to be a lot funnier than it ended up being. Also, there really isn't any emotional attachment for any of the characters. It doesn't help that the movie is only about 90 minutes as well.

The Wolverine - I kinda faded out at some point after the amazing bullet train scene but still caught the end. I really enjoyed everything I did manage to see. I've never seen X-Men Origins: Wolverine so I can't compare but this was a really good standalone Wolverine movie and even though they're starting to wring Wolverine dry with how much they overexposed him in the X-Men trilogy plus two standalone movies, I'd like to see another one if they can recapture what they had here.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #8051
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
lol, going through entire Harry Potter series(again), trying to watch 1 movie a day.

This is first time I'm watching entire series from start to finish where I know how the entire series ended(last time I went through the series,I was doing so cause I wanted to watch all before I watched the final one for the first time)

Hermione is easily the best of all the main kids. And Snape is easily the best of all the professors. Both character wise, and acting wise.

After seeing all of the Harry Potter movies. It's hard to watch anything Alan Rickman is in like Love Actually. All I could think was this dude is Prof Snape.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #8052
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Going to see the hobbit: desolation of smaug in a few hours. looking forward to it.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #8053
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Saving Mr. Banks

I saw this one with most of the family. I'll admit that I probably haven't actually seen Mary Poppins in almost twenty years, although many scenes are still engraved in my head and I learned how to spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious by memory when I was six years old. So to anybody who just might be in the boat of having not seen it before or in some time, it really wouldn't be a bad idea to pop it in, even if it's not a favorite of yours. After all, going into the film I actually didn't really know what this movie was about, because frankly I didn't know who Mr. Banks was.

The film begins rather delicately and unmemorable, jumping right into two parallel chronologies of a flashback and flashforward of the original Mary Poppins bookwriter's "past" as a child moving with her family to another part of Australia in 1906, and "present" before accepting an invitation to meet with Walt Disney in Los Angeles in 1961. This was more of a blessing than a nuisance for the film in that it helps make the overall pacing fluid and works as a character builder.

I do have kind of a problem with the flashbacks, though: every time the movie flashes back, it is struck to serve as a specific symbol for something that the writer (as portrayed by Emma Thompson) likes, dislikes, or was deeply affected by in a specific instance when she was six or seven years old. This makes these moments contrivances for easy storytelling, where motifs are black-and-white right on the screen. It does not save much for the imagination as a book would and becomes an exposition on the writer of old and young, as if every instance that happens in the "present" is perfectly recalled as a moment within just a few months of herself as a young child (as portrayed by Annie Rose Buckley). In that, I will say that if most things were mentioned of rather than simply cut to, although it wouldn't have made a more entertaining film, it would not have been too "in your face." I think there was only one really worthy flashback that defined everything about an hour into the film; the other flashbacks could have served their purpose as the first half hour of the film in general if they wanted to, then they could have flashed forward. But I am only ranting about that at this point, for better or worse.

Despite the PG-13 rating, we're definitely being left with a Disney imprint on this pretty lighthearted, uppity film. On the surface it might not appear that way because of the main character's detestable personality, but the jokes come and go in every scene at the right moments and everybody in the Los Angeles area tries going about all business with smiles on their faces. The cinematography aims toward non-aggressive colors, brightish midtones, and steady focuses on telling negative emotions more through words than facial expressions. John Lee Hancock and crew seemed to aim really hard at always hinting for light at the end of the tunnel, serving plenary optimism despite all that seems to "go wrong" during the film's run.

Although the acting was a very strong point of this number, I predict in fear everyone will only leave praising Tom Hanks for his portrayal as Walt Disney. Okay, I'll give it to him that he looked like the guy, but behind that I saw it as exactly what it was: Tom Hanks as Walt Disney. Every other actor or actress who showed up was somebody else entirely, although I haven't a clue who they portrayed in real life and most were probably carbon-cutouts of filmic stereotypes for the sake of telling the story properly. Okay, so they won't overlook Emma Thompson either (who will probably deservingly receive a Best Actress nod for this), but the supporting cast was just too hard to overlook. Farrell, Giamatti, Buckley, and Whitford sell their parts so convincingly as well, and really hit the bulk of the film when Hanks isn't on scene. In fact, Farrell and Buckley are super important because Hanks and Thompson obviously don't appear in the 1906 flashbacks. But I think there is a problem if Tom Hanks is nominated for Best Actor for two reasons: 1) I honestly think it's just ham-handed; 2) I wouldn't exactly say his part was a leading role. Best Supporting Actor? I'll have to look at the list of others. He really saves himself a possible position here in one of the last scenes, so I'll reserve judgment on that until next month.

Anyway, I was well-immersed from beginning to end despite the novelty wearing off early of the cutaways resembling exactly what they foretell or backtrack to involving certain physical on-screen symbols, and probably has one too many "Call me Mrs. Travers, not Pam / Call me Walt, not Mr. Disney" jokes. I'm not a true dedicated fan to Walt Disney's older works, either when he was alive or for twenty-five years after that, but I surely appreciate what his work has meant for everything else surrounding it plus how much it has affected our lives. I mean although I never watch the cartoon, what would this world be without Mickey Mouse? Hell, without Disneyland? And yes... without Mary Poppins? You throw so much buoyancy out the window without these things, so to make a film in today's time simply as a re-reminder of what some glory days were like at one time before is good enough reason for it to be made period. In all, it was a good ol' time to spend during the holidays with my family at the movies and watch this film, and without needing to be too critical, in a nutshell I really did enjoy it. I wouldn't see it by myself anywhere, but if you have somebody to tag along with, just sit back and enjoy it... all the way through the credits, might I add.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #8054
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
After seeing all of the Harry Potter movies. It's hard to watch anything Alan Rickman is in like Love Actually. All I could think was this dude is Prof Snape.
What about as Hans Gruber in Die Hard?
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #8055

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
I think Tom Felton played Malfoy very well. In the later films he grew very conflicted about what was being asked of him...especially killing people. He simply isn't that bad of a person. An arrogant git, perhaps, but not a killer.
Ya. He seemed like a character who could've been real good if it wasn't so much for his family. They did seem to turn him somewhat good in the final movie at the end though. But his best stuff was in the earlier movies. Especially him getting beat up by a girl lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
Irony for me is that my 2 fave characters from the movie(Hermione/Snape),look much diff now than they ever did in the movies. Though in Snapes case, that was a wig he was wearing, so of course in real life he'd be diff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #8056
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Harry Potter was awesome and will always be awesome.

Saw Frozen today with my little sister, was pretty good. Probably the best movie Disney has been apart of since Finding Nemo I guess. (Not counting Marvel)

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »