Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #4081
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Thanks to a recommendation from this thread I watched Leon the Professional last night. Absolutely loved it!

Jean Reno was a badass, 15 year old (i think she was 15 irl but not 100% sure) Natalie Portman gave a great performance (probably the best Portman performance I have seen to be honest) and Gary Oldman always makes a great phycho bad guy. There were parts of it (like the relationship between Matilda and Leon) that was a bit confronting or kinda off putting but the movie did a great job of keeping the tension in the action sequences and the story while being pretty simple was pretty compelling.

A solid 8.5/10 from me.

Last edited by Jonesy; 09-21-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #4082
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

I think Natalie was 12 in that movie. It had been my favorite role of hers until Black Swan.

Gary Oldman really is a bad-*** in that movie. He is a complete lunatic in a legit job with power and he sells it.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #4083
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27

Damn that is impressive if she was only 12, truly a great performance. Yeah Oldman was awesome, just captured that crazy volatility like he could go off at any moment so well that it made even scene with him in it really tense. Good stuff...
Old 09-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #4084
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
You would!

Nah, seriously, whatever it is, I guess I'm just in the 10% that didn't agree with it. It's a weird place to be. Usually not on the wrong end of the audience's overwhelming thoughts behind a film.

I do agree with what most people liked about it though: style, music, mood, direction. All that stuff was great.

So I watched Vantage Point last night and that made me feel better. (Not that it was great or anything).
I've got you Mr. President.....wah wahhhhh...people groaned after the 4th flashback in the theater i was in for Vantage Point. Awful movie.

On to Drive. I enjoyed it. Going in, I hadn't seen any previews for it, and I had only read briefly what it was about. It was pretty good. I wanted to see more of Drivers night life though as he seemed to have a lengthy history of doing that kind of work and he seemed to enjoy it. Surprisingly violent as well. Was a bit anxious when Driver was shaking down the first bad guy.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #4085
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Saw The Lion King in 3D yesterday with the gf...Very disappointed in the 3D but the movie was great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #4086
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Saw The Lion King in 3D yesterday with the gf...Very disappointed in the 3D but the movie was great.
Saw it today and I agree...the 3D was incredibly pointless but damn if I didn't get chills multiple times during the movie. Probably in my Top 5 all time.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #4087
Supporter

SlimKibbles's Arena

OVR: 22

Last night I watched "October Sky" with Jake Gyllenhaal. Good flick. Came out in 1999. Here's the imdb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132477/
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NHL: Calgary Flames

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The wisest men follow their own direction." - Euripides
Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #4088
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Harsh Times

Let me preface this by saying that Christian Bale is the only reason I wanted to watch the film, and is the only reason I remained interested in the film.

David Ayer is the king of writing and directing films that are all exactly the same with different actors, though this isn't a bad thing. Training Day and Street Kings are both films that I own on Blu-ray, which involve an undercover/off-duty cop driving around the ghetto portions of East L.A., busting up drug dealers.

This film has a little more diversity than just this, as the "harsh times" are dealing a lot with seeking employment, among other things (involving marital issues and what not). This was a kind of film that had a bit of emotional tact, but they didn't really give us enough reason to care for the characters in the opening act. Throughout the film, it was a bit like the Kenan and Kel show... just hope that the duo characters coast easily and don't **** anything up, and everything should be okay. I'm not saying that stupidity kicks in, but plot development kicks in, and things go haywire for them.

This film had much less gun violence than the other two films, and that was okay with me. C.B. acted this film well, kind of like a Vato who can't quite find out who he most wants to identify himself with: his career, or his family.

Yeah, I kind of went backwards writing this. I don't really have much else to say.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »