Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #57
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: What movies have you seen recently? Part 1

Just finished Harsh Times. Actually hadn't even heard of it til a week ago. It was pretty damn good too. At first I thought Christian Bale was a little miscast, but by the end I felt like he kind of pulled it off.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 06-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #58
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LiverpoolRed~
Just finished watching BASEketball. I love that movie, so stupid but hilarious.
It was hilarious wasn't it. One of those movies that I never gave a thought, happened to catch it on one of the premium channels and enjoyed it.

I watched "My Best Friend's Girlfriend." What a crappy movie. Took me two nights to finish it off. Watched Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist last night, also bordering on crappy.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #59
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13

The Horsemen

Very interesting movie. Sadly i want to see a little more than halfway, the movie becomes a little predictable. The cast was alright, nothing too spectacular but Zang Ziyi did an excellent job with her role of being very creepy.

The movie could of been much better though, but it was alright

7/10

Last edited by marshallfever; 06-14-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #60
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

How to Lose Friends & Alienate People - Simon Pegg

Not the best Pegg flick, but definitely had some great moments!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #61
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13

Just finishing watching Night at the Museum Smithsonian. I wasn't thrilled about watching it, enjoyed the first but didn't think it deserved a sequel. Well after watching it tonight, i must say it was an enjoyable movie.

The cast was bigger and of course more special effects. Hank Azaria was great as Kahmunrah.

8/10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #62
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallfever
Just finishing watching Night at the Museum Smithsonian. I wasn't thrilled about watching it, enjoyed the first but didn't think it deserved a sequel. Well after watching it tonight, i must say it was an enjoyable movie.

The cast was bigger and of course more special effects. Hank Azaria was great as Kahmunrah.

8/10
I felt the same way. My wife really wanted to see it but I wasn't that excited about. We finally went a few weeks ago and I actually had a really good time. We just watched The Hangover on Saturday. That movie is freakin' hilarious.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #63
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Just finished watching the original Japanese version of Godzilla (1954) and I gotta say i'm most impressed with it. I'm not going to give my full impressions just yet as i'm going to watch the American cut in a few minutes and compare them.

Needless to say this movie was VERY interesting and well done for the most part.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #64
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

OK just saw the American cut. Y'know, if I hadn't seen the original just 20-25 minutes earlier I would've thought this was a pretty good movie but man does it ever pale in comparison to the original Japanese cut of the film. It serves its purpose as a good popcorn drive-in flick for the USA of the 1950s but the original was far more serious and brooding.

The main flaws in the American cut as opposed to the original Japanese cut is that the main characters are shunted to the side while Raymond Burr is essentially telling the story from his point of view. The thought provoking aspect of Godzilla being a product of nuclear bombs etc etc and essentially being man's punishment for unleashing such weapons of mass destruction is virtually written out. It's understandable because the implication is that Godzilla is the product of the US dropping the Bomb on Japan and thus ushering the nuclear age.

The most egregious edit/modification to the American cut compared to the Japanese is how the hero of the film is handled, because he's involved in a love triangle with the female lead and it has to do with arranged marriage etc etc which was a concept very foreign to Americans at the time they kinda just shunted the guy off to the side and made him a "friend" of Raymond Burr. The thing is, his secret weapon is what eventually kills Godzilla but he doesn't want to unleash it because it can be used for evil purposes. The scene where he's persuaded to use it in the Japanese cut is powerful because he realizes the gravity of the situation and thus sacrifices his life's work but in the American cut he's basically challenged and forced to do it which made him look like a wimp.

Nonetheless both films were pretty good. I'd give the Original 1954 Japanese film an A and the American cut a C+.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »