Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #7521
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendkiller5
The Butler was very good.

A lot of big names in that movie, too.
I'm going to be seeing that for my birthday. Should be interesting viewing I think.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #7522
The Lord of #Hashtags

legendkiller5's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I'm going to be seeing that for my birthday. Should be interesting viewing I think.
It reminded me of Django in a sense that there were parts that made you lol and then plenty of parts that made you want to hate everything.

I'm not usually in these types of movies (mother wanted to go), but I definitely enjoyed it.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #7523
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Lee Daniels' The Butler (2013)

I'll be doing a more in depth review of this movie on my blog in a couple weeks as I want to wait for it to be in theatres for more than a couple weeks but I must say It kinda went in a direction I didn't quite anticipate. I enjoyed the movie immensely though I thought the story didn't lend itself to the most emotive acting ever as most of the actors were a bit wooden at times. Saying that though, Forest Whittaker was AWESOME! The more I see him the more I like how he completely inhabits his role to the point that you almost forget it's him on the screen.

There's a lot of concepts and juxtaposition that is ripe for interpretation and commentary but again it's too soon in the film's release to really get into it but I have to say that Lee Daniels displayed those in a very strong way. The only overdoing of it might have been when the freedom rider bus was attacked by the KKK. I thought the slo-mo method employed in that scene made it a little over the top when playing it fully at regular speed would've worked better.

The only other complain i'd make is that out of the 5 presidents we saw played by actors only one really captured the body and spirit of the president (Alan Rickman as Reagan) and one had the spirit but didn't quite capture the physical looks. (Robin Williams as Eisenhower) The somewhat unsuccessful casting of the presidents took me a little out of the film especially John Cusack as Nixon though his last scene he completely nailed it.

The ending left a bit of a sour note only because of events in the 2nd term of Obama's presidency as the symbolism of hope that he brought to America in '08 has been replaced by cynicism and mistrust of the Government vis a vis the NSA scandal etc etc. You can't fault the film makers for it and thematically the ending DOES make a lot of sense.

I give this a strong *** A further discussion on some of the themes and concepts of the movie will be on my blog in 2-3 weeks.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #7524
TCM
MVP

TCM's Arena

OVR: 15

Just saw Trouble With The Curve for the first time, absolutely fantastic movie. I enjoy anything with Clint Eastwood in it but this one is definitely one of my favorite movies ever.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #7525
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Pain & Gain - I didn't really know the general story of the real life events this is based off of, so it was surprising to me how dark and twisted this was. I thought it was pretty good. The Rock was fantastic.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #7526
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Pain & Gain - I didn't really know the general story of the real life events this is based off of, so it was surprising to me how dark and twisted this was. I thought it was pretty good. The Rock was fantastic.
Felt the same way.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #7527
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

The Colony

I don't use scores much with movies but this one is perfect for it. The first 60 minutes is worth an 8. The last 30 is a 2. Therefore this gets 6/10. It's very nice to look at and it has a decent Fallout vibe...then it all goes downhill. If this were a game you'd think a different studio did the last 30 minutes.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #7528
Rookie

SweetPS3GamerGirl's Arena

OVR: 1
Smile Re: What movies have you seen recently?

I just saw "You're Next". I luv scary movies & this one made me jump several times in my seat

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »