Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #7601
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I plan to sit down and watch all three films in one sitting next month. Is it me or did the 3rd film go a bit under the radar/bombed at the box office?

Yes it did but I really enjoyed it despite others knockin on it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #7602
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Watched World War Z last night.

As a zombie movie fan, I freaking loved it.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #7603
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Saw a free screening of Don Jon last night. The picture quality/sound quality left a bit to be desired (but I'm pretty sure it was just because it was a free screening and it was probably downloaded or something.

The actual movie was great though. JGL continues to really impress me as an actor. He's become one of my favorites. Any movie that has him in it will get interest from me.

Julianne Moore was also fantastic, and even Scarlett Johanson wasn't too bad for what her character was.

Tony Danza was also great in my opinion; he and JGL were a very believable father and son.

Very interesting, though sometimes predictable, plot. I thought it was cool that JGL used some subtleties in terms of the characterization and stuff. He had some interesting points to make in the movie, and rather than being blatantly obvious about them, he sort of subtly snuck them in, like the emphasis on "thing" when he tells a girl that she's the most beautiful thing he's ever seen in his life. Everyone thinks it's super sweet, but he's subtly hinting at the fact that a lot of guys see women as a thing/property/bragging chip rather than just a person.

What makes this movie shine in my opinion is the way that it's able to pass on the message that JGL wants, while not being over the top sexual, and while still making you laugh out loud at times (mainly at the family dinners).

Also, a lot of people will probably not like the ending very much, but I personally thought it made sense, and was happy with it. More detail about the ending here:
Spoiler
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont

Last edited by Yeah...THAT Guy; 09-18-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #7604
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Money and the Woman (1940) This is how a programmer should be done unlike the Fay Wray film I reviewed a while ago where it was a total mess. This packs a lot of story into 60 minutes and has some comedic touches to what was essentially a crime story. The acting was pretty good across the board even if I had no clue who the two leads were. The movie was helped by having a lot of familiar character actors involved.

A solid ** stars (my default rating for movies of this type)

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #7605
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

World War Z. Loved it....wish I had caught this while it was still in the theaters.
Wall to wall zombie action. This is CGI work done right.

A very believable ending....relatively speaking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #7606
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

I Spit on Your Grave 2
Terrible. Not "oh no,this stuff that's happening is disturbing and unwatchable" type of terrible. NHL 14/Walking Dead Survival Instinct/F&F Showdown type of terrible. I really can't think of anything good to say about it.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #7607
Hall Of Fame

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Argo. Very gripping. It would be good to know how close the actual events were with some of the events depicted timing wise.

Inglorious Basterds. Just wall to wall. Christoph Waltz is simply brilliant. It really disappoints me, though, that he recently starred in a Roman Polanski film.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #7608
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Well today is a crummy rainy day so I cozied up and spent an hour with Leather Burners (1943). This was one of the 66 Hopalong Cassidy Western programmers produced in the '30s and '40s. This probably wasn't the best in the series for me to jump into as some plot twists were a bit wanting and needlessly complicated a simple story. Nonetheless, it was a pleasurable way to pass an hour.

This was one of a Hoppy entries that had a young Robert Mitchum in bit parts. He really wasn't seen much but it was nice to see him at an embryonic stage of his career. In fact, my next flick will be just his 2nd starring role ever.

Anywho ** Stars. It's not a bad way to pass time on a crummy Saturday afternoon.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »