Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #7897
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Saw The Lifeguard with Kristen Bell(Well I didnt really see it with her, she doesnt like me anymore), but oh my that was bad bad bad bad.

I needed to shower after that.
Bad as in good or bad as in bad?

Sent from the emerald city
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #7898
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Thor 2. After walking out of the theatre and then letting this settle in my brain for a day, overall, I have to say that other than IM2 this is probably my least favorite Marvel/Avengers movie (and I didn't like C.A. all that much from the standpoint of the storyline being very rushed). I just found it to be disjointed and that some of the customary inserted humorous parts I thought were ill-timed during moments when the intensity should have stayed high. Natalie Portman doesn't help me at all either. And the actress who plays her intern side-kick I found to be more annoying than ever.

One major flaw:

Spoiler
Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #7899
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

The Oranges

I watched it because of Hugh Laurie, and it's great to see how I can see him outside of House and not even see a shred of that character in him (whereas I could not do the same in Street Kings). However, there is another actress in this movie (Leighton Meester) who was on two episodes of House and is also in this movie... and if you know the actress or the episodes that I'm talking about, then the irony in this movie will be hilarious to you. It was also an easy reason for me to keep watching.

On the downside, the entire plot of this film felt like a side plot where there should have been a bigger focus in play (or motif, at least). The film is minimally narrated by Laurie's daughter, whose role is also not very big at all either. Maybe if she had her own "life" and story to work through while this "side plot" took action, things might have felt more stable. Also, I felt like this film was missing an entire third act. Yeah, there is some resolve by the end of the film, but at the end you kind of say: "That's it?" I mean heck, it only lasts about 85 - 90 minutes, so more substance could have worked anyway.

Anyway, those are my two main gripes: the story simply wasn't beefy enough. It should have fit into a larger script and film. Otherwise, the parts I did see were pretty okay. There was light humor sprinkled everywhere, and this movie kind of fit on a Juno level. In fact, think of this movie as Juno, only she's just a side character who pops in and out and you spend the most of the time with Mark and Vanessa. Heck, her step mom is in this film, so this thought of these two being connected isn't so far-fetched.

I would like to say that this is at least re-watchable, but I seriously wish this whole thing was integrated into a larger story. I know I keep emphasizing that so much, but I think that was kind of important that they didn't only create a side plot out of what could have been pretty entertaining as a whole if they matched the consistent tone and gave the daughter a larger main story and narrative. I never "rate" my films on here, but it goes from what could have been a solid B+ to a C because of it.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #7900
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Saw The Lifeguard with Kristen Bell(Well I didnt really see it with her, she doesnt like me anymore), but oh my that was bad bad bad bad.

I needed to shower after that.
Wasn't that movie supposed to be a postmodern take on The Bodyguard?

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #7901
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

Out of the Furnace - 8/10. Good movie. Pacing and tone were just about perfect. Bale doing some of his best work.

Hated Woody Harrelson's accent. Just no.

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #7902
Mo
SSN

Mo's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWfan206
Bad as in good or bad as in bad?

Sent from the emerald city

Bad as in bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Wasn't that movie supposed to be a postmodern take on The Bodyguard?
No. And if that was their intent then they should find another career
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #7903
MVP

OVR: 15

Flipping around tonight and TNT had Saving Private Ryan. I don't typically like watching movies on regular cable because of the commercials and how I think it kills some of the momentum in the movie. But for parts of 3 hours I kept flipping back. When the last battle scene was about to start, I knew that the next 30 to 45 minutes of my life was going to be about watching that movie. That is one of my favorite movies of all time.

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #7904
MVP

Zer0xray's Arena

OVR: 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8WA...e_gdata_player

This looks amazing.

sent from galaxy note 3

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »