Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
The Best Sports Game of 2019: MLB The Show 19
The Best Franchise Mode of 2019: NBA 2K20's MyLeague
Worst Trend in Sports Games in 2019: Single-Player Modes Getting Shafted
Vote For NBA 2K Game of the Decade -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #7953
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Gallow Walkers - Has Wesley Snipes in it, thought it would be at least decent, but no, it was stupid.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #7954
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Somehow my Netflix started recommending Scandinavian movies.

Ended up watching Headhunters & King of Devil's Island

Headhunters is about an art thief who poses as a recruiter for high-level positions. His motivation is his good looking wife who becomes involved with Jaime Lannister from the Game of Thrones. It's one of those puzzle movies that is a little slow at times but comes together at the end. There's a subtitle and English dub-over version. If you watch it go for the subtitle route, the English version is horrible with the readers showing little-to-no emotional range.

King of Devil's Island is about a teenager who gets sent to a boys Correctional camp. While there he challenges authority and eventually leads a rebellion which is ultimately squashed by the Warden (Stellan Skarsgard from the Dragon Tattoo). The boy was a former sailor so there's a running symbolic theme about a whale getting harpooned and refusing to quit. I thought it was pretty good and had a more realistic ending than Headhunters.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #7955
MVP

Quint75's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Somehow my Netflix started recommending Scandinavian movies.

Ended up watching Headhunters & King of Devil's Island

Headhunters is about an art thief who poses as a recruiter for high-level positions. His motivation is his good looking wife who becomes involved with Jaime Lannister from the Game of Thrones. It's one of those puzzle movies that is a little slow at times but comes together at the end. There's a subtitle and English dub-over version. If you watch it go for the subtitle route, the English version is horrible with the readers showing little-to-no emotional range.

King of Devil's Island is about a teenager who gets sent to a boys Correctional camp. While there he challenges authority and eventually leads a rebellion which is ultimately squashed by the Warden (Stellan Skarsgard from the Dragon Tattoo). The boy was a former sailor so there's a running symbolic theme about a whale getting harpooned and refusing to quit. I thought it was pretty good and had a more realistic ending than Headhunters.
I thought Headhunters was a blast.
NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers
EPL: Liverpool Reds
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #7956
Banned

OVR: 55

Aliens (1986)

No need for ten paragraphs here, we've all seen it. I like it even better than the first one.

4.75 out of 5 stars.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #7957
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

White House Down

So I Redbox'ed both of these films and watched them back to back. I knew what I was getting into with this being a Roland Emmerich film, so eye-rolling moments were expected. This is an example of how downsizing this to PG-13 doesn't give you the same kind of intensity on film as the R-rating does, seeing that both films involved taking over the White House and killing people to get to the president. I thought the CGI here was just okay, but it was the green-screen effect in most scenes that was just terrible. Jamie Foxx was an unconvincing president in every shape and form, no matter who's directing or the style of the movie. What's funny is I can't get James Woods out of my head in Family Guy, so every time he was on screen and opened his mouth, I kept thinking of his cartoon self.

The "Oh brother" moments weren't as bad in this movie as they were in 2012, but it doesn't rank higher than The Day After Tomorrow for me. There are plenty of similarities here to Olympus Has Fallen as well, and the OHF wins most of the head-to-head battles in my opinion. Considering they came out around the same time I can't help but compare them, so if you had a movie to rent and don't mind a bit more bloodshed, I would pass up WHD for the other movie.
I haven't seen this yet as i'm still on my X-Men project but it's the next modern movie viewing for me. Jamie Foxx is the president?!?

OH BROTHER......

I'll be going into it with an open mind but will be comparing to OHF as well since I saw that movie first.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #7958
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Only God Forgives.....

Words can't truly express how awful this abomination was.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #7959
Hall Of Fame

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Aliens (1986)

No need for ten paragraphs here, we've all seen it. I like it even better than the first one.

4.75 out of 5 stars.
Gotta disagree somewhat there. The original Alien was filmed so well. The lighting and sets made it that unique blend of futuristic and gritty/dirty present-day realism. The casting ensemble was superb and the unique element of the life-like robot was an surprise excellent addition. The "old" abandoned ship nest for the eggs also added that mysterious element that left you filling in the blanks for yourself at the time. With "Aliens" you had more of the campy element especially led by the way Paxton and Goldstein delivered their lines. Paul Reiser was a horrible casting move as well. He was too well known at the time as a comic stand-up/actor (sort of as bad as a casting move as Michael Keaton in Batman, imo). There were not really any more surprises in Aliens with so much revealed in the original......so it was up against the sequel let down. Maybe a 3.5/5 with "Alien" deserving a 4.5/5.

Last edited by daflyboys; 12-18-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #7960
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

The best thing about both of those films is they are both top-notch and offer two completely different experiences. When you can go round and round over which two are the best not only in the series but in film overall it certainly says something about both. Godfather 1 and 2 can do the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »