Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 12-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #7977
Whip my vine back'n'forth

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
I actually did a video blog for this. It would mean a lot if you all took a peek at it and critique it.

That would be swell.

Blog Review please be kind
Really in-depth stuff, man. I hadn't really thought of the industry that way until now. And you seem really natural in front of camera.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #7978
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
Die Hard - I consider this a Christmas movie much to my girlfriend's dismay. Anyway, I always forget how much of a comedy a lot of the dialogue actually is.

"Hope that's not a hostage."
You mean it's wrong to say Die Hard is your favorite Christmas movie?

Old 12-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #7979
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

American Hustle

David O'Russell is taking American audiences by storm with his recent films, and he is really forming a good style that's instantly recognizable. Taking actors from both The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook (minus Wahlberg, Leo, and Tucker), the cast ended up being super strong and took front stage in an okay plot. Though in the end, it kind of just felt like actors in 70s clothing. For me, that was completely fine because I was in it for that anyway, but if this movie was played again in fifteen years for our now ten-year-olds who might not know who any of these actors are, I'm not as sure they'll "get it" as much as we do, especially after seeing his previous two films.

Outside of that, it was a strong narrative and had some witty humor. I wouldn't say it had as much emotion as The Fighter or Silver Linings Playbook, and in the end I'd say it just wasn't as good of a movie as the other two, but with the throwback elements I think a lot of OS'ers will like this film. It had a great soundtrack and killer cinematography. I just wish he re-shot The Fighter again after having done two projects, because I think he would have added a bit more soul to it, especially in the boxing scenes.

I'd recommend this one.

EDIT: Don't let the upbeat trailers hype you up too much into thinking that's the pace of this film. It's slow-moving, and that's okay if you don't expect a lot of flash from it. This isn't Luhrmann's Gatsby.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 12-20-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #7980
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
American Hustle

David O'Russell is taking American audiences by storm with his recent films, and he is really forming a good style that's instantly recognizable. Taking actors from both The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook (minus Wahlberg, Leo, and Tucker), the cast ended up being super strong and took front stage in an okay plot. Though in the end, it kind of just felt like actors in 70s clothing. For me, that was completely fine because I was in it for that anyway, but if this movie was played again in fifteen years for our now ten-year-olds who might not know who any of these actors are, I'm not as sure they'll "get it" as much as we do, especially after seeing his previous two films.

Outside of that, it was a strong narrative and had some witty humor. I wouldn't say it had as much emotion as The Fighter or Silver Linings Playbook, and in the end I'd say it just wasn't as good of a movie as the other two, but with the throwback elements I think a lot of OS'ers will like this film. It had a great soundtrack and killer cinematography. I just wish he re-shot The Fighter again after having done two projects, because I think he would have added a bit more soul to it, especially in the boxing scenes.

I'd recommend this one.
Saw this tonight as well. I liked it. Agree with you in that it's not as good as The Fighter or Silver Linings Playbook. I gave it an 8/10.

Amy Adams was on fire!!!!

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Old 12-20-2013, 02:38 AM   #7981
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
Saw this tonight as well. I liked it. Agree with you in that it's not as good as The Fighter or Silver Linings Playbook. I gave it an 8/10.

Amy Adams was on fire!!!!
I scored it an 8/10 on IMDb myself.

If Amy was ever in any shell back when, she is definitely coming out of it in her films with O'Russell. Jennifer Lawrence was able to "grow older" for this film too, which was kind of cool.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #7982
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I scored it an 8/10 on IMDb myself.

If Amy was ever in any shell back when, she is definitely coming out of it in her films with O'Russell. Jennifer Lawrence was able to "grow older" for this film too, which was kind of cool.
Spoiler

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Old 12-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #7983
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
Spoiler
Spoiler
Old 12-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #7984
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Watched Blackfish on Netflix last night. It's the documentary on Tilikum, the orca at Sea World, and how/why he has killed multiple humans in his life.

It was very well done, but it was kind of tough to watch at times, seeing those beautiful and incredibly intelligent animals living their lives in concrete pools.

Some "spoilers" below (I don't know if you can "spoil" a documentary, but just in case people don't want to know about any specific scenes in the doc)

Spoiler

I recommend watching it.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »