Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2023, 01:54 PM   #14593
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Movies from the last two weeks:

Magic Mike's Last Dance
- Wife movie for sure, lol. The first one was terrible, second one was okay, and this one was just bad. The storyline sucked, the audio felt like an indy movie. Even my wife who was super looking forward to this was disappointed.

2.5/10

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
- Nice callback to the book. Apparently there were some key omissions from the film my Mother-In-Law did not like, but I did not know those were relevant. For me, it was fine. Nothing great, but not bad by any means. Story was cute, character progression was rushed a bit.

5.5/10

Always Be My Maybe
- Okay. This chick-flick I absolutely loved. I really enjoyed the work on the main cast. Keanu Reeves was also hilarious in this.

7.5/10

Dungeons and Dragons
- Horrible. Comedy didn't connect. Character progression didn't connect. Just a flat out bad movie.

1/10

Air
- Perfection. I really enjoyed this movie depiction of the story. Loved they hardly used MJ in the film, as this was Nike getting big. I really liked it from a movie standpoint.

9/10

Love Again
- It was funny and cute. Nothing really else to say.

6.5/10

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2023, 10:22 PM   #14594
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinDaMike
Across the Spiderverse.

I thought it was great. I honestly have been disappointed in Marvel content for the past couple years and this has been the best property for the last couple years, too bad it’s not part of the MCU.

I saw it jn 4dx and it will probably be the last time I see a 4dx movie. I think I’m just getting too old to get jerked around like I’m a rag doll . Especially this movie where there’s A LOT of action.

The art was just fantastic again, I really love this property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The spider verse movies are the two best SM movies ever in my opinion. I absolutely loved them and can't wait for Beyond

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 06-09-2023, 12:50 PM   #14595
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Saw it this past Sunday and Monday. I gotta say, this film is an absolute work of art. It seems that any single frame of this movie could be hung up on a wall and marveled at. The animation is gorgeous and they go into it with every universe. The opening moments of the film automatically captivate you, and it rarely lets up. I must admit that I was not too emotionally impacted by this film, but I will chalk some of that up to this story feeling a bit incomplete until the sequel comes next March. It's the one big hindrance of the film for me.

At 140 minutes, I do see where I could trim some scenes and take nearly 20 minutes out of the film, but the runtime is not at all a problem either. With many Easter eggs and cameos that I'm sure I have no idea of, they always serve the story and never get in the way, which is the way I like it. The antagonists absolutely work but some characters took a moment to grow on me. Gwen and Peter B. Parker have solidified themselves as my favorite characters in this franchise, but I love seeing Miles do his Spidey action on screen.

This movie is also an audial delight. Both the score and soundtrack vibe so well with the on-screen visuals, and the voice acting is on point. Somewhere, somehow this movie deserves Oscar recognition (outside of animation and visuals), and I don't know where it is but I could see something along Best Picture, Director, Cinematography, or Editing. I doubt they'd acknowledge the middle two for an animated film, but they sure timed their sequel right around Oscar season perfectly and will probably receive the same accolades next time out. I do hope they dial back a little bit for the trilogy capper when it comes to scope and character count, but this was a super fun sequel and is absolutely worth checking out in theaters.

I gotta do an official Spider-Man ranking, but Sam Raimi's SM2 is on the top and the two Spider-Verse movies are right below it.

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

First of all, I found all of my initial impressions for each film before it: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

It appears that I did not leave impressions for Bumblebee. I have only seen it once, and although I found it "cute" it didn't leave the same impact as the Michael Bay movies did, messy as they are.

Rise of the Beasts is good. Not very good or great, but solid. It was a wonderful time out for a summer blockbuster. It shows what somebody can capably do with the franchise without Bay. I don't miss the Bayisms when it comes to characters, comedy, and coherence, but there was some spectacle that they often had that this doesn't seem to as much, or maybe just that we have seen other films since 2007 do a lot more with CGI and action and this franchise hasn't evolved visually the way I thought it would.

I'm also more a fan of the people being involved than anything else. I wouldn't care to watch a Transformers movie that only takes place on, say, Cybertron. I'm more interested in people seeing these aliens for the first time, the robots transforming to and from vehicle mode, placing them on the streets and with buildings, etc. This film has some of that, but a lot less than Bay's films. I think that is likely the difference. This will work better for others, but not myself.

Even still, this movie really works and could serve as an entry point for people who haven't seen any of the other TF films. Since this takes place in the 90s I can't tell if they are willing to say that this operates in canon with Bay's films (and a lot of continuity would be broken if so), but this does work with Bumblebee before it and there are clearly plans to make future films in this universe after this one.

It has moments that I think they go a bit too far in one direction, but I think after watching the film in its entirety I'm okay with it. Jokes also land a lot more than Bay's cringe attempts, but I don't need these robots taking on too many human characteristics. It's something that TF1 avoided that still makes it the best one to me. This one is cool though, and I do hope they can find a way to improve visually for any sequels.

My rankings:

Transformers
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
Bumblebee
Transformers: The Last Knight
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers: Age of Extinction

The last three on the list are far below the top three, and Bumblebee sits in the middle (good movie, okay Transformers movie).

EDIT: I just rewatched TF1 and TF3 to solidify those rankings. Bay does something different in those films, man. TF3 takes a while to pick up (from the freeway chase scene onward it just doesn't let up), and as I mentioned regarding the CGI it may have looked different then but they haven't evolved it much. Bay's action hits much different than Rise of the Beasts does, and I prefer that much more as well. Even still, this new one was cool, but it's missing something that I hope sequels will bring to the table.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 06-12-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2023, 06:20 PM   #14596
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7

Fast X

8/10

Love the Fast and Furious franchise. This had the drama, intrigue, story, and action.

Turned into a Part 1, which I thought was an interesting choice... but a welcomed one.

Mamoa is a WWE level heel in this. It's great, lol.

Spoiler

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2023, 10:56 AM   #14597
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Saw it this past Sunday and Monday. I gotta say, this film is an absolute work of art. It seems that any single frame of this movie could be hung up on a wall and marveled at. The animation is gorgeous and they go into it with every universe. The opening moments of the film automatically captivate you, and it rarely lets up. I must admit that I was not too emotionally impacted by this film, but I will chalk some of that up to this story feeling a bit incomplete until the sequel comes next March. It's the one big hindrance of the film for me.

At 140 minutes, I do see where I could trim some scenes and take nearly 20 minutes out of the film, but the runtime is not at all a problem either. With many Easter eggs and cameos that I'm sure I have no idea of, they always serve the story and never get in the way, which is the way I like it. The antagonists absolutely work but some characters too a moment to grow on me. Gwen and Peter B. Parker have solidified themselves as my favorite characters in this franchise, but I love seeing Miles do his Spidey action on screen.

This movie is also an audial delight. Both the score and soundtrack vibe so well with the on-screen visuals, and the voice acting is on point. Somewhere, somehow this movie deserves Oscar recognition (outside of animation and visuals), and I don't know where it is but I could see something along Best Picture, Director, Cinematography, or Editing. I doubt they'd acknowledge the middle two for an animated film, but they sure timed their sequel right around Oscar season perfectly and will probably receive the same accolades next time out. I do hope they dial back a little bit for the trilogy capper when it comes to scope and character count, but this was a super fun sequel and is absolutely worth checking out in theaters.
I saw "Across the Spider-Verse" on yesterday and I couldn't agree more with your take. Just glad I won't have to wait 3-5 years to get "Beyond the Spider-Verse".
Old 06-12-2023, 01:30 PM   #14598
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

65 - 9 out of 10.

The Covenant - 9 out of 10.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:32 PM   #14599

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

The Super Mario movie wasn't bad.

I didn't notice/care if the voices aren't the video game voices.

It was alright for what it was. Maybe I was expecting more video game like stories than anything else. You probably could've done a full on Mario Kart or Mario Party like section in the movie besides that one short rainbow road stuff.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:33 PM   #14600
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

I hadn't watched any of the Marvel stuff for a while (kinda fell off and took a break around Moon Knight) so I caught up on all of that. Thor Love and Thunder is probably the worst MCU film imo. The second half I thought was actually pretty good, and if the whole movie had been like that it would have been pretty good. But the first half of the movie was just awful to me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »