Home

The Apple iPad

This is a discussion on The Apple iPad within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Rookie

Victor Fox's Arena

OVR: 6
The Apple iPad

Alright, let's try this again. The other thread was technically there for the mystery media event anyway, so let's use this thread to discuss the iPad, good and bad, and talk about people opinions on the device once it comes out in a couple months.
The UCLA Bruins

And I'm moving to Chicago so...
The Green Bay Packers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: The Apple iPad

I just wanted to get my two cents in, since I literally entered that thread for the first time ten minutes ago (wanted to see why it was closed).

I see why somebody would want it for the sole use of browsing the Internet. If that's all that I wanted, I'm sure that someday down the line I wouldn't mind having something for that very reason if I felt that it was more beneficial for me. But in my honest opinion, the biggest issue with the iPad is that you kind of have to be holding onto it the entire time to have it properly angled at you, if that makes sense.

For instance, right now I'm half-laying down on my bed with my laptop in front of me, the keyboard being the base and the screen tilting up for me. If I wanted to do two-hand typing with the iPad, I would have to lay it down flat, and possibly lean above it to get a good view of it.

And then in the end, as just a personal thing, but I've never been a fan of touch screens. Oily fingerprint residue, easier to scratch with no cover, and as for typing I prefer getting a feel of what keys I'm typing rather than looking at it, if that makes sense. That's why I will probably never get an iPhone or iTouch. Maybe I'm just not ready for this new technology stuff.

The only funny thing about this that I'll say, is how people with heavy British accents will say it like "iPod", possibly confusing people. Otherwise, I see this as interesting new technology. I honestly don't think that the world is ready for this especially at the given price point and no storage media input features, but I see why some people could get a good kick out of it. I do like how Steve Jobs is always innovating and how one piece of technology leads to the innovation of another one in the future, but in the end it's just not for me.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 01-31-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13

Its a phone OS on a computer. To me that is just unacceptable, no flash, no multitasking. Dell and HP are releasing tablets that run windows 7, which I think is a lot better than this.

Also the screen aspect ratio is horrible in my opinion. Its a 4:3 screen when turned sideways to watch movies and tv shows.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Rookie

Victor Fox's Arena

I feel like i would love to have this thing mounted on my wall at home, as a slick picture frame. Then, as I walk down my hallway, i can go, "What the weather gonna be like today?" Then tap the picture frame and open the Weather App.

I know, i know, just use your iPhone. But what if i'm a Sprint customer with a crappy nextel walkie-talkie phone?

I don't know. There's a market for this device, but i don't think it's as vast as the mobile phone or laptop computer market. One day, we're either gonna look back on the iPad as having gone down the dark alley of the Newton or the Cube, or we're gonna laugh at how pessimistic we all were after its gone down the golden walkway of the iPod.
The UCLA Bruins

The Green Bay Packers!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Fox
I feel like i would love to have this thing mounted on my wall at home, as a slick picture frame. Then, as I walk down my hallway, i can go, "What the weather gonna be like today?" Then tap the picture frame and open the Weather App.

I know, i know, just use your iPhone. But what if i'm a Sprint customer with a crappy nextel walkie-talkie phone?

I don't know. There's a market for this device, but i don't think it's as vast as the mobile phone or laptop computer market. One day, we're either gonna look back on the iPad as having gone down the dark alley of the Newton or the Cube, or we're gonna laugh at how pessimistic we all were after its gone down the golden walkway of the iPod.

I don't know. Maybe in a few years there might be a market. I just don't think it is so awesome because Apple tells me it is. Now if they made this with OSX in it and a big HD, I would be all over it.

I would wear it around my neck like a medallion and have a big clock on the screen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Rookie

Victor Fox's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71
I would wear it around my neck like a medallion and have a big clock on the screen.

Phenomenal. haha. So would I.

On a more serious note, I too would be ALL OVER THIS were it running OS X. I'm a filmmaker and would absolutely love being able to run Final Cut with touch capabilities. But for that, Apple would start pricing at around a grand, which I can understand seeing as it would be more advanced than anything they have on the market right now.
The UCLA Bruins

The Green Bay Packers!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Why do people keep saying if you're lying in bed u have to lay the ipad flat? Uhhh no u don't, you hold it like u would a magazine...one hand holds it and the other manipulates the screen. Come on fellas it doesn't have to lie flat to use, agAin you guys keep thinking of it as a traditional laptop and that is whAt makes it great is that it's not and the traditional way of thinking, like saying the device has to be layer flat, is history..
Old 01-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I want one of these just so I can get a huge belt clip and walk around with it on my waist like a huge tool..lol oh and also so I can put it up to my ear and walk around the mall talking real loud as if it's a phone just to see peoples reactions!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »