Home

LCD or OLED? - The TV Thread

This is a discussion on LCD or OLED? - The TV Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #33
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Plasma or LCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie
Are "rising blacks" worse in the Panasonic G20/25 than if you were to get a Sammy Plasma? I'm still doing some research here on these TV's. A guy I work with might buy the DLP and stand from me for $400. He is going to think it through over the weekend.
Here is a Sammy review...

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...in;contentBody

Cnet is pretty good for just getting general information. They get too anal sometimes for picture quality, because they can knock a TV that I was just in a store and "floored by" how good it looked, yet there was a nuance or two they pick out because it is not pinnacle. They go a little too far for the videophiles. And some of their reviews for the more affordable sets that the average person would think looks marvelous, would make said person discouraged into buying.

But for the technical part to know the major faults of a set, like the blacks getting lighter over time on the Pannys, it is good to read.

The only issue it had with the Sammy was 1080p/24 the blacks were not as dark. But other than that they said it had one of the highest picture qualities tested this year in both 2D and 3D modes. But some of the user reviews claim terrible burn in, which I noticed on my friends Samsung, it seemed pretty susceptible.

Just take caution with what you have displayed on it and you should be fine.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #34
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Yeah, I am heavily leaning towards a Plasma. I really want a Sony LED, but the prices on some of those 3D Samsung Plasmas are very enticing. And LG is coming around with some nice ones as well.
Yep Looks like I may be going with the 50" or 55" Samsung 3D plasma... I still have about 3 weeks to decide though.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 11-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #35
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Here is a Sammy review...

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...in;contentBody

Cnet is pretty good for just getting general information. They get too anal sometimes for picture quality, because they can knock a TV that I was just in a store and "floored by" how good it looked, yet there was a nuance or two they pick out because it is not pinnacle. They go a little too far for the videophiles. And some of their reviews for the more affordable sets that the average person would think looks marvelous, would make said person discouraged into buying.

But for the technical part to know the major faults of a set, like the blacks getting lighter over time on the Pannys, it is good to read.

The only issue it had with the Sammy was 1080p/24 the blacks were not as dark. But other than that they said it had one of the highest picture qualities tested this year in both 2D and 3D modes. But some of the user reviews claim terrible burn in, which I noticed on my friends Samsung, it seemed pretty susceptible.

Just take caution with what you have displayed on it and you should be fine.
Thanks. Looks like Sears is selling the G20 for $989.....damn are the prices of these TV's on some crazy sales. I was on AVS and was reading an article that there is an abundance of LCD's in the market right now and the best time to buy is by the end of the year if you are looking since the prices will be very low.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #36
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Thanks. Looks like Sears is selling the G20 for $989.....damn are the prices of these TV's on some crazy sales. I was on AVS and was reading an article that there is an abundance of LCD's in the market right now and the best time to buy is by the end of the year if you are looking since the prices will be very low.
Amazon right now is selling a 42" G25 with a free soundbar/subwoofer for $799.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...=operasport-20
Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #37
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Amazon right now is selling a 42" G25 with a free soundbar/subwoofer for $799.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...=operasport-20
WOW! I can only imagine the closer it gets to Christmas on how cheap some of these will get. I'm still trying to decide Plasma or LCD, with leaning more towards LCD. I have to go this weekend and look at some more. It helps reading up more on the 3 technologies to better understand pro's and con's. What I love about the DLP I would be losing some in the LCD and gaining in the Plasma, but the Plasma needs to be really treated like a baby. Some interesting things on the LED-LCD about the Edge lit LCD's where there are some drawbacks. LOL! Too much of this reading will make you go crazy.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #38
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
WOW! I can only imagine the closer it gets to Christmas on how cheap some of these will get. I'm still trying to decide Plasma or LCD, with leaning more towards LCD. I have to go this weekend and look at some more. It helps reading up more on the 3 technologies to better understand pro's and con's. What I love about the DLP I would be losing some in the LCD and gaining in the Plasma, but the Plasma needs to be really treated like a baby. Some interesting things on the LED-LCD about the Edge lit LCD's where there are some drawbacks. LOL! Too much of this reading will make you go crazy.
Agreed. I read too much too, which is why after 2 years, I still have not pulled the trigger, almost did n an XBR9. Games look fantastic on my Dell 2405 anyhow in the mean time.

But the best thing to do, is just go in the store, and look at what you think you like the best visually. And not worry to much about the technical mumbo jumbo too much. Some of the LED Sony's these videophile catered sites trash, I fell in love with. And did not see any of the "microscope analyzing it seems" they put in reviews.

Pull the trigger, bring it home, you then have nothing to compare it to in your own house, so it will please you when looking at it.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 11-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 5

I am now leaning towards LCD or LED LCD. The technology for LCD has got a lot better since Plasma first hit the scene. Contrast ratio's or similar and picture quality is now almost identical. Where I tend to lean towards LCD instead of Plasma is the weight factor. Can I move this monster by myself or will I need help? Do I want to take a risk and mount something this heavy onto my wall? With almost 30-75 pounds in weight difference from LCD and Plasma for comparable size models I now lean towards LCD. They are lighter have a longer life and provide a superb picture. Cost isn't quite a factor anymore either.

I own Plasma, DLP, and LCD.

DLP lighter than plasma cost less but you have to buy a bulb. Had to replace my Samsung bulb at about the 3.5 year mark normally $180 a pop found online for $90.

Plasma is LG had some burn in but had a white wash tool to help get it back to normal after it was just a faint image I then set it to a picture setting that change the pixel positioning every few seconds. Couldn't tell why watching it and didn't have any burn in issues after that.

Newest TV is the LG LCD 120mhz http://www.frys.com/search?search_ty...bmit.y=0&cat=0 its the budget line but was $200 cheaper than the comparable Plasma. I got it for $524+tax locally and it was brand new not a display model. Very light not as light as DLP but lighter than Plasma. Excellent picture and very vibrant even on stock settings. Its only a 47" but I used for gaming in the spare bedroom.

I didn't go with Plasma because once it dies out its done no bulb to replace or repair to get it working again.

Last edited by tktnuri; 11-12-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #40
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Without the box (or handles) 42"-50" of anything is going to be hard to carry for 1 person. I certainly wouldn't use that as a qualifier on buying a tv. Wall mounts work equally well on either flat panel.

Life of plasmas and LCDs is nearly identical. We'd be on to the next big thing before either "died" out.

Last edited by GAMEC0CK2002; 11-12-2010 at 07:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »