Home

LCD or OLED? - The TV Thread

This is a discussion on LCD or OLED? - The TV Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #41
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Plasma or LCD?

thank god someone made this thread i was thinking the same thing, i might go lcd just because i don't want to be maintaining the tv and counting up to 100 hours, but then again at that price and the picture quality i might bite. I noticed someone mentioned the 600hz from plasma in relation to the 120 hz from lcd and their different technologies, Plasma has basically no motion blur due to the response time being nearly instantaneous something to the tune of 0.0001ms meanwhile lcd response times are usually in the number of 2-6ms
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #42
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashanova
thank god someone made this thread i was thinking the same thing, i might go lcd just because i don't want to be maintaining the tv and counting up to 100 hours, but then again at that price and the picture quality i might bite. I noticed someone mentioned the 600hz from plasma in relation to the 120 hz from lcd and their different technologies, Plasma has basically no motion blur due to the response time being nearly instantaneous something to the tune of 0.0001ms meanwhile lcd response times are usually in the number of 2-6ms
I'll help just a bit. "Maintaining" is not that involved--just common sense. Lower the contrast once and make sure your tv shows/movies take up the entire screen. That's about it.

You're right on why plasma's have no motion blur. The plasma phosphors change nearly instantly. Makes it great for watching sports, races, etc.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #43
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12
Bought a panny 58v10 last year and love it. Very little image retention issues and the picture is wonderful. I also recommend bias lighting and watching / playing in the dark if possible. A nice bias light can be bought for under $50.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #44
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

This thread gets made every 3 months I noticed.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #45
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Oh yeah I will like to add LED TVs are over rated and useless IF you don't have it hooked up to a home theatre system. The speakers on LED TV's are so small you can't even hear the tv from 10 feet away.

But it is all personal preference and how much space you have. If you have a large living room like I do, DLP all the way. If it is in the basement or other dark room, Plasma. If you want to plug it in and not worry about anything, LCD.

LCD prices have come wayyyyyyyyyyy down since last year, they not that pricey anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Oh yeah I will like to add LED TVs are over rated and useless IF you don't have it hooked up to a home theatre system. The speakers on LED TV's are so small you can't even hear the tv from 10 feet away.

But it is all personal preference and how much space you have. If you have a large living room like I do, DLP all the way. If it is in the basement or other dark room, Plasma. If you want to plug it in and not worry about anything, LCD.

LCD prices have come wayyyyyyyyyyy down since last year, they not that pricey anymore.
I have a dlp now and i can't wait to get rid of it!, there's always something going on, got to change the lamp or one of the fans are busted I don't want anything to do with that anymore. I have a samsung dls5087w
Old 11-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #47
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson

TV speakers are crap in general, LEDs are gonna be worse than usual b/c they have nowhere to put them. A soundbar/sub or surround sound sytem is always going to be better.

LED's are overpriced just b/c they are the next big thing. The price will go down b/c it will be the standard from here on out. Manufactures are moving away from the CCFL LCDs. It's basically a thinner, worry-free plasma. It's the closest black levels you get to plasma blacks.

This is assuming you get a fully backlit LED and not an edge lit LED.

But still a 73" 1080p DLP for $1500 would be hard to walk away from if you had the space. You'd have to go with a projector if you wanted a bigger picture in that price range.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #48
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

also another question for plasma's if your suppose to take up the whole screen what do you do for movies that have the black bars on the top and bottom?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »