Home

Bridesmaids-Critics Love It

This is a discussion on Bridesmaids-Critics Love It within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Bridesmaids-Critics Love It

I'm really interested in seeing how this does at the end of the weekend and if I can find stats on the male demographic watching this film.

Seems like males should enjoy this film, but we all know they'll likely skip it because it's an all female cast. It did $7.8 MM (2nd) on Friday behind Thor's $9.1 MM.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 05-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
The part of the trailer that made me cringe was when the fat girl said, "I want to apologize, but I'm not sure what end that came out of". That bathroom humor seems unnecessary and cringe-worthy. Subsequent trailers I've seen at the theater have taken that line out.
I have a feeling people are more offended by the fact that it's a woman saying that than anything else. We've heard hundreds of dudes in hundreds of films say things like that and no one ever bats an eye.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I have a feeling people are more offended by the fact that it's a woman saying that than anything else. We've heard hundreds of dudes in hundreds of films say things like that and no one ever bats an eye.
I have to admit you're right. That is a double standard.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

I definitely disagree (which I think the three of us are doing right about now in today's threads).

I find it disgusting and a poor attempt at humor no matter the sex. Never laugh when I see a guy do it. I found it to be the most upsetting part of the second Harold & Kumar when the first scene was a blatant bathroom humor joke.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #21
Rookie

Silentway's Arena

OVR: 3

lol, you went to see Harold & Kumar on your own accord and THEN got upset at bathroom humor? I can't wrap my head around that one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #22
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentway
lol, you went to see Harold & Kumar on your own accord and THEN got upset at bathroom humor? I can't wrap my head around that one.
I didn't get upset. Wasn't like I was offended or anything like that.

Just saying that overall the film was decently funny and made better attempts at humor later in the film. Opening with the bathroom humor was the film's lowest point in comedy (not saying much, true).

When you're capable of writing humor and you have to resort to a fart joke to get laughs, I'm akin to think like the person that wonders how you could be a good speaker but resort to typing like a child.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #23
Pro

cake612's Arena

OVR: 9

I saw it and loved pretty much every joke in there, if you think all bathroom humor is stupid no matter what then there was one scene that is completely over the top but so so funny I was crying and the audience was going crazy. If that ruins the rest of the movie for you so be it but hey, everyone has different tastes especially when it comes to comedy. My brother hates Seinfeld and curb and I love them.

I hope this movie does really well, it's good enough to be right up there with the Hangover and any other R rated comedy. It deserves it's rotten tomatoes score and hopefully word of mouth will help it in the box office since right now it's only estimated to do about 25 million this weekend which I think is way to low.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake612
if you think all bathroom humor is stupid no matter what then there was one scene that is completely over the top but so so funny I was crying and the audience was going crazy. If that ruins the rest of the movie for you so be it but hey, everyone has different tastes especially when it comes to comedy.
I shall report my feelings within hours. Going to watch it today.

I do expect to find the movie funny so I'm looking forward to it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »