Home

The Audiophile Thread

This is a discussion on The Audiophile Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #49
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The Audiophile Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBrick
Need great headphones. My others are destroyed. Any ALOT of bass(first and foremost with great quality and are very durable.

No buds. Would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Edit: And are the Pro Beats by Dr. Dre worth the money or is that a big no? My main point is could I buy headphones for half that price and get the same results that the Beats produce or even more possibly?
If you want bass, I really like the Beats Studios or Pros. I would try them out at best buy first and try them, then go to this site to get them at discounted prices: http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp

That's to Monster's outlet store, you can get beats for half the price ($150 for studios, $200 for Pros) and they are refurbished. They are 100% real as well. Trust me, I own both the pros and studios and they look brand new and come with everything except the original box.

I know a lot of people are against them but most of the time its that they are not because they are terrible headphones but not so good compared to what they are priced at, $300 studios and $400 for pros. But for half price they are comparable to really good headphones.

A lot of people will suggest headphones to you which are great but often will need an amp of some sort to give you that bass that you want. Example is a fios amp.

The question is, what will you use them for? Computer use? Studio? Or do you just want to listen to music on your iphone/android? Are they mostly going to be used at home or are you going to be used more outside?

If you are just someone who wants good headphones but will use an iphone/mp3 player I would go with studios because they have a battery that will power an amp and are more comfortable than the pros. The battery on most phones don't have the juice to power headphones to make them sound good so this is a plus especially if you are wanting that bass that thumps like a system in a car. Sound does leak, so if you care, people can hear what you listening to.

They are made of plastic so there are complaints of quality but mine have been great for the past year and the only thing that needs to be replaced were the detachable wires (you get two with studios, a regular red and a black sonic talk for cell phones.) Though this is inconvient ($20 refurbished wire) its good that I can just replace the wire and not the whole set if the connector goes bad.

If you want the best sound, the pros are the best sound overall. Hits hard bass and has good highs and mids. They sound fine on my phone and do not require batteries. They are not as comfortable as the stuidos and are bit more bulky so they are not as portable friendly as studios. Quality wise, they are built with mostly aluminum and leather and I have no doubt that these can last me years. Sound leak is very small and you can barley hear to what I'm listening to.

I've connected this to my amp on my computer and they sound amazing. My favorite cans for music that has heavy bass in it. Music just sounds amazing. It does get uncomfortable about a couple hours of use and will have to take them off since these sit on your ear rather than around it like the studios do. They are also heavier than studios.

I know there are really good headphones out. I have tried a lot, dennons, sennheisers which are great but lack the bass hit that I like in hip hop music. The beats fit the mode for me. Also keep in mind that a lot of these headphones are built for studio and a lot of the times will have a 3.5 jack connector. So if you were going to use them for ipods/iphones then you'll need an adapter which gets clunky and don't sound great unless you have an amp to power the cans in most cases.

But my advice is that every ear is different and the only way to find out what you like is to test them at a best buy to the music you listen to. If you are like me who enjoys hip hop/electronic, I do suggest the beats but not at brand new prices. Definitely check that website above. Rock or music that concentrates on natural sounds like voice and instruments then I suggest denon's and sennheisers. They have a more wholesome sound and acoustic guitar especially sounds very nice.

I personally own Sennheiser 595 hds and use them a lot but I connect them to my computer through an FIOS 7 amp. I use them for listening to movies/tv and if i'm listening to music that focuses more on the highs/mids like acoustic guitar for example.

I'm not an expert in this field but hope my experience with them helps with your decision. One other note, DO NOT waste your money on Solo beats. They are all bass and sound like crap compared to Studios which will be $50 more on the site are far superior.
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #50

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinDaMike
If you want bass, I really like the Beats Studios or Pros. I would try them out at best buy first and try them, then go to this site to get them at discounted prices: http://www.monstercable.com/outletstore/linelist.asp

That's to Monster's outlet store, you can get beats for half the price ($150 for studios, $200 for Pros) and they are refurbished. They are 100% real as well. Trust me, I own both the pros and studios and they look brand new and come with everything except the original box.

I know a lot of people are against them but most of the time its that they are not because they are terrible headphones but not so good compared to what they are priced at, $300 studios and $400 for pros. But for half price they are comparable to really good headphones.

A lot of people will suggest headphones to you which are great but often will need an amp of some sort to give you that bass that you want. Example is a fios amp.

The question is, what will you use them for? Computer use? Studio? Or do you just want to listen to music on your iphone/android? Are they mostly going to be used at home or are you going to be used more outside?

If you are just someone who wants good headphones but will use an iphone/mp3 player I would go with studios because they have a battery that will power an amp and are more comfortable than the pros. The battery on most phones don't have the juice to power headphones to make them sound good so this is a plus especially if you are wanting that bass that thumps like a system in a car. Sound does leak, so if you care, people can hear what you listening to.

They are made of plastic so there are complaints of quality but mine have been great for the past year and the only thing that needs to be replaced were the detachable wires (you get two with studios, a regular red and a black sonic talk for cell phones.) Though this is inconvient ($20 refurbished wire) its good that I can just replace the wire and not the whole set if the connector goes bad.

If you want the best sound, the pros are the best sound overall. Hits hard bass and has good highs and mids. They sound fine on my phone and do not require batteries. They are not as comfortable as the stuidos and are bit more bulky so they are not as portable friendly as studios. Quality wise, they are built with mostly aluminum and leather and I have no doubt that these can last me years. Sound leak is very small and you can barley hear to what I'm listening to.

I've connected this to my amp on my computer and they sound amazing. My favorite cans for music that has heavy bass in it. Music just sounds amazing. It does get uncomfortable about a couple hours of use and will have to take them off since these sit on your ear rather than around it like the studios do. They are also heavier than studios.

I know there are really good headphones out. I have tried a lot, dennons, sennheisers which are great but lack the bass hit that I like in hip hop music. The beats fit the mode for me. Also keep in mind that a lot of these headphones are built for studio and a lot of the times will have a 3.5 jack connector. So if you were going to use them for ipods/iphones then you'll need an adapter which gets clunky and don't sound great unless you have an amp to power the cans in most cases.

But my advice is that every ear is different and the only way to find out what you like is to test them at a best buy to the music you listen to. If you are like me who enjoys hip hop/electronic, I do suggest the beats but not at brand new prices. Definitely check that website above. Rock or music that concentrates on natural sounds like voice and instruments then I suggest denon's and sennheisers. They have a more wholesome sound and acoustic guitar especially sounds very nice.

I personally own Sennheiser 595 hds and use them a lot but I connect them to my computer through an FIOS 7 amp. I use them for listening to movies/tv and if i'm listening to music that focuses more on the highs/mids like acoustic guitar for example.

I'm not an expert in this field but hope my experience with them helps with your decision. One other note, DO NOT waste your money on Solo beats. They are all bass and sound like crap compared to Studios which will be $50 more on the site are far superior.
I have a android phone which i would use it for. Mainly hip hop and r&b for me. It sounds like the pros are for me but, I will probably wait til I can go to a best buy if I can test them out. It sounds like the pros are my best bet then and I will definitely check the website out.

Did you get to hear how some newhigh Pro's sounded in best buy over some refurbished Pro's? Also can you put a amp in a phone or what is a good device that would pump alot into some big headphones like Beats or some that people mentioned?

Would the HTC Rezound with the Dre Beats from theu commercials be a good device to switch over to?

Sounds like it wouldn't be worth buying them new if the refurbished Pros sound isn't much of a difference from some new ones. Thanks for your thoughts on it and others though it was very helpful.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #51

SouthernBrick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinDaMike

I have a android phone which i would use it for. Mainly hip hop and r&b for me. It sounds like the pros are for me but, I will probably wait til I can go to a best buy if I can test them out. It sounds like the pros are my best bet then and I will definitely check the website out.

Did you get to hear how the Pro's sounded in best buy before you bought the refurbished Pro's? Also can you put a amp in a phone or what is a good device that would pump alot into some big headphones like Beats or some that people mentioned?

Would the HTC Rezound with the Dre Beats from theu commercials be a good device to switch over to?

Sounds like it wouldn't be worth buying them new if the refurbished Pros sound isn't much of a difference from some new ones. Thanks for your thoughts on it and others though it was very helpful.

Last edited by SouthernBrick; 01-10-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #52
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

An amp you would use thats mobile would be this: http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E6-Headph...=operasport-20

Its not something you add into a phone so its something you would bring around you and connect with a cord. This will enhance any headphones including ones you get with your phone. They'll give you extra boost from that but its to me its a hassle to bring along with your phone all the time. If you don't mind it then its a great thing to have. I have the same one and bring it around with my tablet or laptop bag

The pros, though they do not have batteries have huge drivers in the sets so can power really heavy bass without an amp and sound great on my Android phone (sony xperia play). I do also use an app called Poweramp. I payed for it but it has a really good equalizer that makes it sound better than other music apps that I've used.

And to answer your question I have tried brand new pros. I listened multiple times from friends who got them new last year and I just had a friend get them new just two months ago and there is zero difference. He was actually pissed that I payed half price and virtually no difference. I can say same with the Studios as well except the ear pads were softer than newer ones.

Keep in mind that refurbished does not mean they were used, they had a defect of some sort, maybe it was just the packaging and they put them back together and fix whatever defect and goes through multiple test before they sell them again. And mine are the white version with not a single mark or scratch on it.

I can tell you also that I have had 8 people I know go through the same site and they have had zero issues with their sets except for the cord can go bad if abused on studios. I had 2 other people got the pros this past month off the site and had zero issues other than one friend wanting to sell them because he didn't find the Pros comfortable and will stick with studios.

Btw zero complaints on quality for the pros from my experience other than comfort. Studios head band is made of plastic and there were complaints of it cracking. I believe they resolved that issue with newer versions.

My friend has the Rezound and to be honest I did not notice a difference in sound quality between my friends phone and mine.

IG FB

Last edited by RockinDaMike; 01-10-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #53

SouthernBrick's Arena

I will have to get these online when I get my taxes back. Do you know if they come with warranty or because they're half price they don't include that?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #54
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBrick
I will have to get these online when I get my taxes back. Do you know if they come with warranty or because they're half price they don't include that?
Yeah, they come with a 90 day warranty on all parts. It's one year I believe if buy them new.

IG FB
Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #55
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
Have you tried Grado SR 60s? I'm reading good reviews and they're $79 on amazon.
I actually have some SR80i's - they're really fun phones and nice contrast to my AKG K702's
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #56
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

I had the SR60s about 6 years ago, they hurt my head way bad. Had to get rid of them. Great cans though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »