Home

The Audiophile Thread

This is a discussion on The Audiophile Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #65
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67
Re: The Audiophile Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
What does "leaking" mean in audio terms?
leaking means that sound comes outside of the headphones so that other people can hear. For example if you get an open set, you will be able to hear outside noise and you will also be broadcasting music as if you're a portable radio station thus the headphones leak lots of sound. If you get a closed set you will not be able to hear that much outside noise and your music will largely be contained to your ears only with minimal leakage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #66
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275
leaking means that sound comes outside of the headphones so that other people can hear. For example if you get an open set, you will be able to hear outside noise and you will also be broadcasting music as if you're a portable radio station thus the headphones leak lots of sound. If you get a closed set you will not be able to hear that much outside noise and your music will largely be contained to your ears only with minimal leakage.
Ah, I own the MDR-7506, and I can just close them on their own (without my ears in them) and can't hear a thing. I don't know how much better they could technically get, but I wouldn't consider them to have very much leakage.

I thought you meant it was some sort of audio quality term, like "bleeding" or something when you're talking about video.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #67
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

A good test is to put your hands over the cups and listen to music full blast for leakage.
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Old 05-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #68
All Star

OVR: 19

I'm on the market for some outdoor speakers. Preferably something nice, but that I wouldn't mind leaving behind when moving if they are hard wired. Suggestions??
Old 05-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #69
All Star

p2xgamers's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
I'm ashamed to admit this, I know the audiophiles are gonna crush me lol, but I finally caved and bought me some skull crushers. I honestly really like them. My whole plan was to get some extreme bass, and even though I understand a lot of the bass is replicated through ear cup vibration, it works for me. I may be different than other guys on here lol, but so far I actually really like them.
heh well I'll admit that my Skullcandy Titans are the best earbuds I've ever used. Tried to get some klipsche ones but they were DOA's, will have to try to get them again some day.

My Blog
Old 05-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #70
L Corleone

Weeks's Arena

OVR: 39

Do you guys got any recommendations for over ear headphones, that don't leak, preferably less than or around $200
Old 06-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #71
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Need some quick help. I'm looking to get some nice surrounds bundled with a powered sub. Right now I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882780018

and

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Cha...=operasport-20

They're all roughly in the same price range at the moment, the sale on the Martin Logans is over tonight at 12PST though(they list at 999 but were marked down to 599 and now they're 300 off of that price for today only), so I need some advice quick. I'm not audiophile but I am thinking about the best bang for my buck in this price range. That said, should be I be pulling the trigger on those ML's, or is the difference in quality so negligible that I should just pocket the 50-75 bucks and choose one of the other two?

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #72
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
Do you guys got any recommendations for over ear headphones, that don't leak, preferably less than or around $200
Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Going price seems to be about $150 but you can find them in the $125 range if you look around.. I love mine.. You have to have them to almost deafening volume levels for outside world to hear them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »