Home

ESPN Cleaning House

This is a discussion on ESPN Cleaning House within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #17
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: ESPN Cleaning House

Gonna be hard to see how they replace some of these people's insights, like Roger Cossack on legal issues. I always liked when the local ESPN radio station would get him on, but lately they've got some local woman lawyer who does a good job on legal issues.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #18
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Carnage
As look,some idiot right winger is mad because some in ESPN take a position he isn't cool with. How dare they have an opinion about an 12 year old kid being shot by the cops or women being mistreated.
Yeah....totally

Sent from my SM-G935V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #19
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Them going all TMZ is a bigger issue than them going SJW in my opinion. Too many of their personalities are annoying to the point where you have to change the channel. I guess that pulls in some fans (#hottakez) but other fans, especially younger ones, don't want anything to do with that nonsense. We're also at the point where you can find better takes, better information, better everything online (blogs, Reddit, etc). I don't care what some beat writer has to say on Around The Horn, I can find more interesting stuff on the sport elsewhere. That and their original content outside of 30 For 30 has been terrible for a long time. I haven't watched anything on ESPN's networks besides live games in over a decade. In the 90s I was glued to ESPN on a nightly basis.

Even as a big sports fan I've been bit by the Netflix bug. I've watched fewer and fewer games since the rise of Netflix, Hulu etc. I cut the cord for three years but have since returned. I still watch nearly every game of my favorite teams but the days are gone of me spending free nights watching tons of games of other teams. A decade ago I was watching Big Monday and Super Tuesday double-headers on ESPN every single week regardless of who was playing. I was always watching the TNT NBA Thursday game. Now, if my favorite teams aren't playing I'm going to put on something on Netflix or another streaming service. The playoffs obviously change that but during the regular season is another story.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

Last edited by ehh; 04-26-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #20
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Can someone explain what SJW is?

Thanks

BTW Bye bye Stat Boy.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #21

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Can someone explain what SJW is?

Thanks

BTW Bye bye Stat Boy.
Please just google it, not a discussion we want to get into here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #22
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Social Justice Warrior, a derogatory term for people who turn everything into a social issue and often do so in a less than intelligent or coherent way.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 04-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #23
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Please just google it, not a discussion we want to get into here.
Ah yeah, after reading the explanation from Ehh I can see that would be toxic conversation fodder. I was just curious what the abbreviation was referring to that's all.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #24
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Them going all TMZ is a bigger issue than them going SJW in my opinion. Too many of their personalities are annoying to the point where you have to change the channel. I guess that pulls in some fans (#hottakez) but other fans, especially younger ones, don't want anything to do with that nonsense. We're also at the point where you can find better takes, better information, better everything online (blogs, Reddit, etc). I don't care what some beat writer has to say on Around The Horn, I can find more interesting stuff on the sport elsewhere. That and their original content outside of 30 For 30 has been terrible for a long time. I haven't watched anything on ESPN's networks besides live games in over a decade. In the 90s I was glued to ESPN on a nightly basis.

Even as a big sports fan I've been bit by the Netflix bug. I've watched fewer and fewer games since the rise of Netflix, Hulu etc. I cut the cord for three years but have since returned. I still watch nearly every game of my favorite teams but the days are gone of me spending free nights watching tons of games of other teams. A decade ago I was watching Big Monday and Super Tuesday double-headers on ESPN every single week regardless of who was playing. I was always watching the TNT NBA Thursday game. Now, if my favorite teams aren't playing I'm going to put on something on Netflix or another streaming service. The playoffs obviously change that but during the regular season is another story.
I think we're around the same age ehh and I echo that bolded statement 100%. My generation grew up on ESPN and lived for Sportscenter because tbh, there weren't other outlets to get comprehensive coverage from all sports apart from the Sports section and maybe your local news sports segment. Nowadays it's rarely on unless it's a live game.

I talked to a small business owner a few hours ago and he made a good point that kind of applies. He said his business was over-expanded/exposed to the point where he couldn't control quality. He scaled back his operation and found his niche that's allowed him to put out better products.

ESPN's product today has become all flair with hardly any substance behind it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »