Home

The Good Doctor (ABC)

This is a discussion on The Good Doctor (ABC) within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: The Good Doctor (ABC)

"Islands Part One" kicks off the winter season of The Good Doctor tonight.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:49 AM   #10
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

This episode was ****ing incredible.

Caught myself smiling for long periods in some moments of this one. Also when one character started to tear up, I teared up right with them.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
This episode was ****ing incredible.

Caught myself smiling for long periods in some moments of this one. Also when one character started to tear up, I teared up right with them.
I thought the Lea experiment was a little exhausting and am I the only one who sees no romantic chemistry between them? I kind of hope they have her leaving but the other alternative is to somehow make her Shaun's aide, but I'm still unsure how that will work out.

Now that Jared is not accepted back at the hospital, will Claire continue her mission to end the career of the inappropriate acting doctor?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I thought the Lea experiment was a little exhausting and am I the only one who sees no romantic chemistry between them? I kind of hope they have her leaving but the other alternative is to somehow make her Shaun's aide, but I'm still unsure how that will work out.
Personally, I couldn't care less about the romanticism itself. If it came to that, I would probably think a little less of the show. It's just too fast, like what ten episodes in? I absolutely feel the chemistry in that they serve each other well, but I wouldn't want to see boyfriend/girlfriend at any moment any time soon.

Rather, I'm loving the fact that she is debunking all of Shaun's societal pessimism. Is she going about it the wrong way? Oh yes, it's absolutely misguided. It's like that House season 6 premier "Broken" when he takes Freedom Master to the carnival, has him go on that free-fall simulator and gives him a minor sense of belief that he could fly, and then he promptly attempts to do it himself by jumping off the second floor of a parking garage. Lea has his best interests at heart, but she isn't going to win over Glassman with any of those stunts.

Nevertheless, it might be everything that therapy isn't in that regard, and it's the first time in his life that Shaun is extremely close to somebody that is not his brother. So much so that you can probably say he is feeling a bit of love in the pit of his stomach, and he doesn't know how to describe that feeling for himself yet. I'm not actually sure if she likes him (not that she's using him or anything either), but it was heartbreaking to focus on Shaun after she dropped a Penn-bomb on him. For now, if all goes awry, he is going to remember her not by a smell, but by a song... something that he never would have dared to do before.

I think this brings us to an important question regarding this show: are we expected to see development in Shaun’s personality, as if he is ‘beating’ autism in a way? And I think the response to this is pretty straightforward if you consider the fact that he lived alone for many years, likely over a decade in fact. Sure he went to college and had some human interaction, but nothing along the level of what his brother had taught him, or how often he probably shunned away from people and didn’t trust them (based on the flashbacks we have seen so far). He understands his outsider status to some extent, and before Lea his only legitimate conversations these days seems to be with Glassman (even still with some ill effects).

I think that now he is in an everyday workplace where communication with colleagues, patients, families and superiors is crucial, plus Glassman will always be at his aid and hopefully he will engage more with Lea over time, I feel we have a great opportunity to learn how to work around such deficits. He won’t beat autism per se, but he will probably not always be the sheltered version that he is now. It is important to see a slow progression with it, though. Lea has begun to break that mold, and I hope he doesn't have a resenting experience from what happened in this past episode.

So to really carry my point home, I would be okay with she leaves. I wouldn't for Shaun's sake, but I would for the emotional impact of the show. It would be much better if in the next 43 minutes of programming there was a definitive part of her leaving than they become BF/GF, that's for sure. I was never expecting that from these two, at least this early in the show's run. There are already too many ships in this show to want that. Now, Glassman needs someone to ship with, that's for sure.

Quote:
Now that Jared is not accepted back at the hospital, will Claire continue her mission to end the career of the inappropriate acting doctor?
I didn't know it was a "Part One," but I absolutely believe that story line hasn't ended. I'm guessing neither has the one about the conjoined twins. I don't think this is the end we've seen with Jared working there, though.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 01-09-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I didn't know it was a "Part One," but I absolutely believe that story line hasn't ended. I'm guessing neither has the one about the conjoined twins. I don't think this is the end we've seen with Jared working there, though.
Are they trying to work the twins into a recurring type role, given their Ivy League credentials and cuteness? Of course, this would be contingent on a successful operation. No special effects here as the two are identical twins in real life.

I'd like to see some character development from the lecherous doctor but the "Me Too" movement is a death sentence for this type of behavior probably leaving him irredeemable. He did admit to Andrews to less than stellar conduct to placate Claire, so that should have some consequences.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:04 AM   #14
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Are they trying to work the twins into a recurring type role, given their Ivy League credentials and cuteness? Of course, this would be contingent on a successful operation. No special effects here as the two are identical twins in real life.
I didn't assume so, I just assumed that they need another episode with them since we don't yet know the outcome of this operation.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #15
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

Glad Freddie Highmore is in another great role. He did phenomenal in Bates Motel and I definitely need to check if it’s playing locally here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

See, yesterday's episode is an example of what I would call 'shaky.'

You have the [now separated] twins story line that goes back-and-forth I don't know how many times: first with like one waking and the other not, then the one in a coma is rendered dead and if they don't unplug her then the other would die, then she doesn't die when unplugged but the other is still dying so the way to save her is to conjoin them again, then the other miraculously wakes up and now the longer-awoken one is getting twice the amount of blood readings into her system and is killing her, then they have to rush to separate them again so that the shorter-awoken one can survive... it was just one thing after another, something that you would see in a House episode (speaking of which, nice little nod with "house" being one of the three words that girl had to remember).

Then Jessica drops a bombshell on Melendez, breaking up with him without him having any say in the matter that she would be taking him away from his aspirations of being a father (I'm certain this isn't over though, that would be too soon). Jared comes back only to be chastised by Andrews and gets looked at funny in the surgery room like this would be an uncomfortably toxic environment to return to after he and his attorney throw down on some old cases (I don't understand why he would want to go back to basically being a student at a hospital either, at least for the time being). The dialogue between Shaun and his colleagues were a bit disjointed throughout the episode, almost as if it really should have taken place in like one scene rather than five different ones. Also, as much as I was for that first kiss, I would have loved if Lea just gave Shaun a nice hug there at the end, for them being great friends with a little more connection than not.

The real positive in this episode was Claire. She definitely is the Cameron (House) of this show, but in my opinion she serves her role better. She never comes off as bratty, needy, or overly emotional. She can be as passionate as to provide sympathy for patients and yet be as aggressive as being able to stand up for herself and speak her mind as needed. She has also connected with Shaun in (what you might agree with JayBee) a more natural relationship among caring acquaintances than that between Shaun and Lea, and when she says she would miss him you truly believe that.

Glassman seems a little whipped recently, but I have enjoyed his presence as well for nearly the same reasons as Claire. I hope Kalu restores faith with the rest of the group, as well as Shaun for ditching out a couple of days. Melendez has also been great, but bogged down with the "child" story line. We'll see where they all go from here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »