Home

James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects

This is a discussion on James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 08-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #33
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Yeah, that's what makes it tougher. I get that comedians make off color jokes, but that was pushing even that line (the pedo stuff). Personally I'd have just let it wash over and not fire him anyways, but I get why they fired him too.
It doesn't seem like they fired him from the tweets, though. They were public knowledge, at least in that Gunn has been on record talking about them before and saying that was something he would refrain from. And he has, completely and totally.

Do you seriously think that Disney did not know about these tweets before hiring the guy? Are they that inept to do a basic background check and see these? They are firing him so they don't look bad in doing this. Otherwise they shouldn't have hired him in the first place. If they stood their ground on hiring him then, they shouldn't turn against that now except for damage control on their end. Yet of course, they are just going to lie about it and say that they had no idea these were an actual thing.

If they did it for damage control purposes, they should be honest about it. That's all. Don't lie through your teeth, own up and say it doesn't agree with their morals in the current day and age and they realized for the betterment of their company that it is wise they mutually agree with parting ways.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #34
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

In the end it's easier for Disney to cut ties and hire another director than to try and coordinate a planned PR strategy for a replaceable employee.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #35
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

I don't condone what Gunn has said in the past but I think Disney is a bunch of hypocrites. They give a guy like Robert Downy Jr half a billion dollars with a much crazier past where he was driving around high as kite and went to jail for it, ruining the shows he was on. He actually endangered peoples lives yet he's the poster boy and Gunn gets cut.
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB

Last edited by RockinDaMike; 08-07-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #36
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Were these brought up publicly when Gunn was announced the director?

Old 08-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #37
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
Were these brought up publicly when Gunn was announced the director?
These weren't exactly "private" to begin with, but no they weren't then. There was a time before he worked with Marvel where I believe he brought them up on his own accord (I believe in an interview?), apologized for them, said he was going to move on from that kind of tweeting, and low-and-behold he did. Since working with Marvel, I don't know of a single blemish to his name from the Twittersphere.

I do not have the source at this time. This has been mentioned by others on a couple of media outlets that I saw. I just do not like that Disney is playing the card of innocence that they were completely oblivious to these tweets, and if they were then their ineptitude needs to speak much louder than this.

On the Dave Bautista thing, I wonder if Gunn himself might phone him and say: "Hey man, look I appreciate what you're doing for me, but I want this film to happen even if I'm not a part of it, and I want you to be a part of it. It would mean the world to me that my baby can be completed, and I want to see it through with Drax including into Avengers 4. Do your best to stay on the project man, I'd really love that!"
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 08-07-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

The stuff he said was really weird. But what's the difference between what he said. And stuff like Family Guy? Family Guy has so many twisted and ****ed up lines that cross the line. I mean one of the bigger characters is a pedophile. What's the difference? Shouldn't the directors of that show be fired ? By that logic.

I still don't like this stuff about digging up tweets. If Gunn has ever been alleged of pedophilia then that's one thing. But dropping people because of old tweets is kind of absurd.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Ok, sorry, I wasn't aware of this 2015 thread. I just wasn't coming in here expecting to see any spoilers about a different movie.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #40
#WeAllWeGot

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Dropping people because of statements/actions that embarrass the company is the way things have always been done.

About Batista just dipping out on Marvel and getting a ton of work elsewhere... I'm not saying he won't get work, I think he definitely would, but when Disney buys out Fox they're gonna be in control of a lot of the pie. The Mouse is not the enemy you want.

And Blzer I need the source on him mentioning these tweets before, can't find it. I saw it mentioned in a NYT article that he's previously apologized for a blog post that offended people, but nothing about the tweets. That same article mentioned what "caused" the digging into his Twitter and I gotta say, hilarious.
I donít doubt you saw things, Bill. But your tiny little mind was too small to comprehend what you saw. What you saw was people who lost everything to savagery. The savagery of peasants. Failures come from Europe to reap some awful vengeance on gods last creation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »