Home

James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects

This is a discussion on James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Dropping people because of statements/actions that embarrass the company is the way things have always been done.

About Batista just dipping out on Marvel and getting a ton of work elsewhere... I'm not saying he won't get work, I think he definitely would, but when Disney buys out Fox they're gonna be in control of a lot of the pie. The Mouse is not the enemy you want.

And Blzer I need the source on him mentioning these tweets before, can't find it. I saw it mentioned in a NYT article that he's previously apologized for a blog post that offended people, but nothing about the tweets. That same article mentioned what "caused" the digging into his Twitter and I gotta say, hilarious.
But like Blzer said. How the hell did they not catch what Gunn said? They had to of just gloss over that stuff. Or the screening is just very shallow. But for Disney? Then again Disney doesn't have the greatest reputation lol

That's what I'm saying. Alot of these tweets keep coming back to haunt people because somebody digs them up for vengeful purposes. Of course it angered a TS lol. So he went digging to ruin this person's career.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #42
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61
James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinDaMike
I don't condone what Gunn has said in the past but I think Disney is a bunch of hypocrites. They give a guy like Robert Downy Jr half a billion dollars with a much crazier past where he was driving around high as kite and went to jail for it, ruining the shows he was on. He actually endangered peoples lives yet he's the poster boy and Gunn gets cut.

As I saw on Twitter, I think it was, Disney just announced a new Pirates of the Caribbean movie - can they have Johnny Depp come back as Captain Jack in a movie now after he accusations against him, after firing Gunn for these tweets? (Sorry for spoiling all of the POTC movies).

As for the Gunn stuff - Disney knew about the tweets, the cast knew about the tweets, but both had accepted his apologies and explanations. Now, with the way social media is? Fired. I’d prefer them to cancel GOTG 3 than try with a new director and a cast that is only there to keep the peace and fulfill contracts.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #43
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
And Blzer I need the source on him mentioning these tweets before, can't find it. I saw it mentioned in a NYT article that he's previously apologized for a blog post that offended people, but nothing about the tweets. That same article mentioned what "caused" the digging into his Twitter and I gotta say, hilarious.
Those media outlets may have been misconstruing this for that, then. They said he had addressed the tweets and said he had moved on from that kind of nature of his posting. I'll see if I can find anything more on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown
As for the Gunn stuff - Disney knew about the tweets, the cast knew about the tweets, but both had accepted his apologies and explanations. Now, with the way social media is? Fired.
I have no problem with that, as I said in my first post in this thread.

But then I read Alan Horn's official statement on the matter, and here is what he said:

"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him."

Discovered?? Bull****. You knew about them. There is no way you are either this disingenuous or incompetent as a chairman to either have not known about them, or known about them and pretended like you didn't. When things like this can come back and hurt your company, you prevent it by doing the research beforehand. You have guys for this kind of thing, you're Disney for heaven's sake.

Release a much more honest statement, and I won't feel as I do now. When I made my first posts here, I didn't read what he had said. Now that I have, I'm pretty peeved about this all.

Quote:
I’d prefer them to cancel GOTG 3 than try with a new director and a cast that is only there to keep the peace and fulfill contracts.
Exactly. One bit of leverage that Bautista has is: "You need me more than I need you." Sure he'll be missing out on some money for sure, but this disruption can cause exactly what you're saying: a full cancellation.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 08-07-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:55 AM   #44
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Yeah they just need to say we're firing him now that everyone knows so we don't get boycotted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2018, 12:59 AM   #45
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
The stuff he said was really weird. But what's the difference between what he said. And stuff like Family Guy? Family Guy has so many twisted and ****ed up lines that cross the line. I mean one of the bigger characters is a pedophile. What's the difference? Shouldn't the directors of that show be fired ? By that logic.

I still don't like this stuff about digging up tweets. If Gunn has ever been alleged of pedophilia then that's one thing. But dropping people because of old tweets is kind of absurd.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

If you’re going to make dark humor it’s gotta be funny. That’s why Family Guy can get away with some things. Besides Family Guy isn’t a family tv show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2018, 01:01 AM   #46
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
If you’re going to make dark humor it’s gotta be funny. That’s why Family Guy can get away with some things. Besides Family Guy isn’t a family tv show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's why I also said Matt Stone could tweet those things and no one would bat an eyelid. It's all relative to who you are, what you're conveying, what your audience is, etc.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #47
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Whether Disney knew about the tweets on the onset is fairly irrelevant. They could have been glossed over as "bad Tweets" or they could have known exactly what they were. Either way - there's only one avenue to take when this gets brought back up to the surface and spotlighted.

Gunn is not Robert Downey Jr. A more apt comparison would be to say Gunn is at the "downfall" stage that RDJ experienced himself before building himself back up to where he is now.

Getting annoyed at Disney because "they probably knew all along" is a waste to me because it's irrelevant once these things were made public.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #48
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

I really have no idea if they knew or not. If they knew, why wouldn't they tell him to delete the tweets a long time ago to avoid this kind of mess? I guess the assumption is that a company as big as Disney is doing their due diligence but what does that even mean? What if their Twitter search was a quick couple of hot button keywords they wanted to make sure he had never said? Do people think someone is going over these guys twitters with a fine tooth comb? The Milwaukee Brewers/Major League Baseball are a pretty big business, they seemed to have been blindsided. Why the assumption that they knew in the first place?
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »