Home

James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects

This is a discussion on James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects

Well this just sucks

Apparently old twitter posts of his where he made jokes about pedophilia and such were dug up and the House of Mouse saw fit to fire him even though he's come out and acknowledged those very same tweets and has said he's a completely different person now.

This seems pretty similar to the whole Josh Hader thing. At least Gunn seems sincere about everything that came out. I feel like Disney may have jumped the gun (no pun intended) a bit here but for PR reasons it had to be done I guess.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 and future MCU projects

Yeah, i get how what he said was stupid (and really creepy with the NAMBLA thing), but slightly surprising to me how touchy everyone is nowadays. No chance to apologize or anything. Plus it was so long ago.

I don't really care that much, Feige and everyone will make GOTG3 awesome, but I wonder if eventually this current culture mindset will self-correct a bit and be not quite as harsh?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Yeah, i get how what he said was stupid (and really creepy with the NAMBLA thing), but slightly surprising to me how touchy everyone is nowadays. No chance to apologize or anything. Plus it was so long ago.

I don't really care that much, Feige and everyone will make GOTG3 awesome, but I wonder if eventually this current culture mindset will self-correct a bit and be not quite as harsh?
I doubt it, but it will bring a change where people don't post their whole lives online or at least the smart ones don't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I feel like Disney may have jumped the gun (no pun intended) a bit here but for PR reasons it had to be done I guess.
I felt that way until I read some of the tweets.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Pro

Gilley's Arena

OVR: 5

I don't even like the GOTG movies, but I heard about this earlier and I think the dude comes off as super creepy based on his old tweets. Some people are defending him by saying it's just jokes, but even if that's the case, he has a weird sense of humor...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley
I don't even like the GOTG movies, but I heard about this earlier and I think the dude comes off as super creepy based on his old tweets. Some people are defending him by saying it's just jokes, but even if that's the case, he has a weird sense of humor...
I don't know what this guy was thinking posting that insane, filthy crap.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
This seems pretty similar to the whole Josh Hader thing.
I'm not here to say one is worse than the other, but one thing I would say that can make this different are the ages of the two individuals at the time of their tweets.

And Disney may or may not be too touchy-feely, but they really have no choice regardless of their stance. It's damage control. Same reason the Roseanne show is going to go on without her as a spin-off, same reason Kevin Spacey's character was recast in All the Money in the World despite having finished filming, etc. They have to go to great lengths to show that they are not representative of the actions of their employees. Plus, it's Disney... so it's really important that they are as far away from anything regarding pedophilia as possible.

EDIT: Just read the tweets. Well, he said he was going for shock value? Consider me shocked. Those are pretty outrageous and disturbingly consistent. This could be easily seen in two polarizing ways, and even that consistency can be explained away in those two different ways. It's obvious that Disney did what they had to do. I just hope all of these were simply "tasteless shock comedy" and not somehow indicative of his fantasies, past or present alike. I mean if Matt Stone tweeted these things, nobody would ever bat an eye and he would continue doing what he's doing... but not even him for Disney's sake. This had to be done, for better or worse.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 07-21-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I felt that way until I read some of the tweets.
Yeah I posted this when it was hot off the presses. I've since seen the tweets and I can definitely see why Disney did what they did. There's a difference between being a provocateur and being insanely creepy and disgusting.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »