Home

Star Wars: Episode IX

This is a discussion on Star Wars: Episode IX within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #25
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX

I really enjoyed The Last Jedi, but I realize some people didn't for various reasons. With that said I'm kind of leery about looking forward to this one. The "reveal" at the end just made me roll my eyes more than anything else. If there is a ton of exposition dump to "make up" for previous movies then I'll just skip out on re-watching this trilogy in the future. I have no faith in J.J. Abrams to pull loose threads/red herrings together satisfactorily.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I was reading from among the speculation and the most interesting one to me is the one that has the Emperor helping Kylo as a sort of Force Ghost and Luke doing the same with Rey, as Rey and Kylo have their final confrontation. And Anakin returns as a Force Ghost to remove Luke and the Emperor from interfering, thus bringing balance to the force as was his destiny.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #27
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

I'm probably one of the few in this case, but this trailer make me sad. By the third film in this trilogy, the new characters should be able to stand on their own without having to pull Lando out of retirement and exhume the emperor.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #28

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

Caulfield, that theory sounds terrible.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #29
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I really enjoyed The Last Jedi, but I realize some people didn't for various reasons. With that said I'm kind of leery about looking forward to this one. The "reveal" at the end just made me roll my eyes more than anything else. If there is a ton of exposition dump to "make up" for previous movies then I'll just skip out on re-watching this trilogy in the future. I have no faith in J.J. Abrams to pull loose threads/red herrings together satisfactorily.
This is a concern of mine as well. I loved the emperor laughing at the end of that trailer, but I'm just not sure how to pull his reemergence off. I dont really like the clone theory as it cheapens his character, and at one point in time it was canon that only the light side could be a force ghost. Maybe he just emerges from a sith artifact idk, but I'm definitely concerned about that, even though I'm excited to finally get a good villain in this trilogy since snoke was so quickly killed off and kylo is...kylo.

I truly hate what Rian Johnson did with TLJ, and it made me think there wasn't anyway it could be fixed in one movie. When I stop to think about what kind of red herrings were left by RJ though there really aren't that many. The only really legacy issue I can think of that JJ will have to deal with is Rey's parentage which can easily be retconned in a way that makes sense. A great many things need to be executed better within the story, and others completely left out, but I dont know that it will require a ton of exposition.

If these 2 things happen I will be happy.
Fix Rey's family to something that explains her Mary-sue qualities.
No more force projection dates between Rey and kylo.

Sent from my S10 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #30

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

My concern is essentially them making TLJ largely unnecessary in the scheme of the "trilogy" due to fanboy bitching and moaning.

Either way I feel like this trilogy has not been mapped out very well.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #31
All Star

Completely agree that it wasn't mapped out well. You really have to wonder what Disney was thinking in splitting up the director's for their multibillion dollar franchise. Also, I remember daisey Ridley had a interview once where I guess JJ wrote out an outline for the trilogy and RJ more or less trashed it when he wrote last jedi (paraphrasing).

Disagree on the fanboy bitching

Edit
So I had apparently repressed quite a few plot points from TLJ. I brushed back up on some of the concepts and...yeah I dont know how JJ makes a good episode than can both conclude the trilogy while not making episode 8 irrelevant.

Sent from my S10 using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by KSUowls; 04-16-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #32
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
Caulfield, that theory sounds terrible.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the whole balance to the force thing comes from him destroying the Jedi in III and the Sith in VI.

There were plot points open at the end of VII, but I heard RJ was left to do with them as he wanted. They would have been way better off writing all three films at once, rather than going one at a time. Regardless, IX is in a rough spot, you have too many uninteresting characters, a plot with countless issues, and having to follow up VIII which wrote the trilogy into a corner. I can't say I envy the writer for IX.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »