Home

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)

This is a discussion on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix) within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #17
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)

Here I am expecting people wearing devil horns in here, but all I find are the aluminum hat wearers.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Ah, I remember the Satanist moral panic of the early/mid 80s. The anti-D&D movement. Mazes & Monsters (starring Tom Hanks!). The teenage babysitters who told me Lord of the Rings (!!) was witchcraft and Devil worship (this certainly would've come as a shock to Tolkien!) and giving me Jack Chick comics to read. Good times, good times.
I'm certainly not talking about the zealots and I'm not one of them. I'm skeptical at many turns. I hope you're right and all that it is is good fun. Interesting choice of fun though. I understand the zealots though. My son was subject to all that with the Harry Potter stuff. I happy to report to this day he is not a warlock.

All of this aside, personally, I couldn't watch a show or support a product that would depict an orgy of people who are minors (let alone an orgy). Maybe you can dismiss it, so have at it. But I can't. There's plenty other stuff out there to consume. I think the main actress could do better in terms of using her talents in a serious dramatic series as she showed she could do at a young age.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #19
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
I'm certainly not talking about the zealots and I'm not one of them. I'm skeptical at many turns. I hope you're right and all that it is is good fun. Interesting choice of fun though. I understand the zealots though. My son was subject to all that with the Harry Potter stuff. I happy to report to this day he is not a warlock.

All of this aside, personally, I couldn't watch a show or support a product that would depict an orgy of people who are minors (let alone an orgy). Maybe you can dismiss it, so have at it. But I can't. There's plenty other stuff out there to consume. I think the main actress could do better in terms of using her talents in a serious dramatic series as she showed she could do at a young age.
That's fair. If my earlier posts implied you were a zealot, I apologize. That was not my intent. You have serious qualms about the show and its target audience, and I respect that. The site that you linked to (and others like it), however, I'll always call out, much as I would if someone attempting to have a serious conversation about LeBron being overrated used Skip Bayless tweets as evidence. Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 11-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #20
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
That's fair. If my earlier posts implied you were a zealot, I apologize. That was not my intent. You have serious qualms about the show and its target audience, and I respect that. The site that you linked to (and others like it), however, I'll always call out, much as I would if someone attempting to have a serious conversation about LeBron being overrated used Skip Bayless tweets as evidence. Cheers.
I appreciate that. I don't take everything VC says or does with 100% conviction and I have trouble with the responders there being preachy. But I think he does pose some interesting theorems and brings me to challenge certain elements especially of the entertainment industry. I mean for one, you have to admit that the number of one-eyed photos throughout is more than just chance. Also that Kenzo fragrance ad is just insane. By the way, that's Andie MacDowell's daughter doing it....another Hollyweird connection.

I seriously hope that whoever is managing this young girl's career (let's not forget that she is still a girl and not a legal adult) that they will fully protect her and her interests.

Last advice:
1. Ignore Skip Bayless
2. Ignore Tweets

Last edited by daflyboys; 11-04-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
I seriously hope that whoever is managing this young girl's career (let's not forget that she is still a girl and not a legal adult) that they will fully protect her and her interests.
Kiernan Shipka will be 19 in six days.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #22
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Kiernan Shipka will be 19 in six days.
Okay, I stand corrected, so then let's make this more practical. She's not a full fledged woman. She is still highly suggestible and potentially vulnerable. The show in general is still suggesting controversial subject matter.

You'd be okay with your 18/19 y.o. daughter in this? Matters more when it hits home.

Plus the target audience you have to know is much younger. Shipka is being presented as someone only coming into her 16th birthday.

Last edited by daflyboys; 11-04-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #23
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Okay, I stand corrected, so then let's make this more practical. She's not a full fledged woman. She is still highly suggestible and potentially vulnerable. The show in general is still suggesting controversial subject matter.

You'd be okay with your 18/19 y.o. daughter in this? Matters more when it hits home.
At what point is someone not highly suggestible and potentially vulnerable? Has science come up with a concrete age?
Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
I would have many more problems with letting my 10/11 y.o. daughter participate in the Mad Men scene where she's watching a young David McCallum in what I assume is a The Man from U.N.C.L.E. episode. I couldn't believe it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »