Home

Game of Thrones: Season 8 (Final season)

This is a discussion on Game of Thrones: Season 8 (Final season) within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #377
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Game of Thrones: Season 8 (Final season)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
That wasn't the point at all. The point is Jon Snow would not do that to begin with.

For all of this talk about character arcs and what character would or would not do, you think it makes sense for Jon to kill Dany and then try to get away with it? Cmon now. Y'all critics would have had a field day with that

That was the point, my point. I made it in my first post, I think I know what it was.

If this was at all rooted in logic, if Jon kills her, he knows he's a dead man. If you commit regicide, you die. It's as simple as that, unless the next ruler pardons you (Jamie, Jon), but Jon doesn't have the luxury of thinking that far down the road. He knows the Unsullied and the Dothraki. For ****s sake, two scenes earlier Grey Worm is executing surrendered Lannister forces in the streets AND had a moment of static with Jon. You really think Grey Worm wouldn't kill Jon immediately? For Jon to kill Dany, then think the Unsullied will merely capture him and keep him alive until a yet-to-be-determined court of law decides his fate is so unbelievably stupid and illogical. How is that more believable than him trying to flee before Dany's forces capture him? You are throwing away everything we've established about the Unsullied and Dothraki.

The only reason this debate even exists is that the Unsullied and Dothraki--as is the biggest problem of the last two seasons--acted completely out of character. They should have killed Jon on-sight. Jon should be dead, but once again, we're letting the plot drive the cart instead of the characters.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 05-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #378

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
1. Kind of besides the point. But why would we assume that no one else would find out even if we are assuming Varys never got the word out?

When Tyrion spoke to Varys, the first thing he asks is who else knows. Then he says, well it's not a secret then. Hundreds will know soon. Hell we saw how quickly Jon let the cat out the bag, then Sansa, then Tyrion. And those were after they promised not to tell. So why would we believe that would be kept secret now?

Based on what we've seen, it would make more sense to assume that the people would find out.

2. Mad King did a lot of ****ed up things before he decided to wildfire the city. Part of the reason why he was given the name. I'm not saying Jamie did it for those reasons. But only Jamie knew what the King was about to do before he killed them. So even with people knowing how ****ty the Mad King was, Jamie was still vilified throughout the kingdom. It's not a reach that Jon could get similar treatment.

Just pointing out again, Tyrion in this episode said half the people hate him for being with the Queen and the other half hate him for betraying her. Why would Jon be treated any differently?

3) Agreed that in retrospect the decisions he made were the right decisions. The problem is in the moments leading up to them, he alienated his subordinates and the people he was supposed to be leading. The Nights Watch wanted no part of the wildlings and he brings them across the wall. The North have sought out their independence from season one and then, once he becomes king in the north, he bends the knee to a foreigner.

He doesn't know how to manage people or play "the game". He just does what he feels is right. And in the show we see how it has negatively affected the people he is supposed to be leading, whether it winds up being the right thing in the future or not. As King, he couldn't continue doing that. He would have to be smarter, which he hasn't shown that he's able to do to this point.

Bran on the other hand is "the three eyed Raven". He knows all of history. How each decision has played out throughout each reign. He can see or predict the future (I think... maybe...who knows? Lol). He's best equipped to make decisions more than anyone with the "powers" he has. And more than anything else, he wouldn't make any decisions out of personal gain or let emotions cloud his judgement like the other characters would.
1. Well my reasoning is if they really wanted people to know, then when they were all sitting around deciding who would rule would have been the perfect time for someone in the "know" to say something and nobody did. It was as if Jon was a complete after thought other then Sansa asking where he was, to which she put up zero fight about when told. The people aren't the brightest, I mean Jon rode a dragon and nobody outside of Tyrion or Dany seemed to even take notice to how unusual that was. Tormund saw it and didn't seem to put it together, **** anyone at Winterfell saw it during the fight with the dead and nobody apparently put it together then either. I refuse to give the common folk or even the so called "Lords" any benefit of the doubt as they don't seem too bright.

2. That whole spiel by Tyrion was over dramatic. The worst he did was take off his badge and toss it down the stairs, nobody knew about him letting Jaime free and probably never would have since very few really knew it seems. Logically he distanced himself from the Queen after she decided to go all ballistic on the civilians for no reason, he didn't kill her, so I doubt anyone would have hated him for that. I get it, it was said, but imo it was complete over dramatization.

3. I get what you're saying to a degree regarding Bran but if he can see the future then that means he knew Dany would torch the city and Jon would kill her leaving the throne open for the taking. If he did then he definitely let things play out the way they did for his own personal gain. I just don't see how Bran who accomplished very little and the powers of being the three eyed raven were never really put on full display is somehow a better option then Jon and having strong advisors around him. I feel like I'm arguing points that make no difference and are based on things that didn't happen anyways so I'll leave it alone.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #379
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
That was the point, my point. I made it in my first post, I think I know what it was.

If this was at all rooted in logic, if Jon kills her, he knows he's a dead man. If you commit regicide, you die. It's as simple as that, unless the next ruler pardons you (Jamie, Jon), but Jon doesn't have the luxury of thinking that far down the road. He knows the Unsullied and the Dothraki. For ****s sake, two scenes earlier Grey Worm is executing surrendered Lannister forces in the streets AND had a moment of static with Jon. You really think Grey Worm wouldn't kill Jon immediately? For Jon to kill Dany, then think the Unsullied will merely capture him and keep him alive until a yet-to-be-determined court of law decides his fate is so unbelievably stupid and illogical. How is that more believable than him trying to flee before Dany's forces capture him? You are throwing away everything we've established about the Unsullied and Dothraki.

The only reason this debate even exists is that the Unsullied and Dothraki--as is the biggest problem of the last two seasons--acted completely out of character. They should have killed Jon on-sight. Jon should be dead, but once again, we're letting the plot drive the cart instead of the characters.
You got it man. You're not even following the logic of our "debate" anymore because you're so quick to be defensive of your opinion at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Operation Sports mobile app

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 05-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #380
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
1. Well my reasoning is if they really wanted people to know, then when they were all sitting around deciding who would rule would have been the perfect time for someone in the "know" to say something and nobody did. It was as if Jon was a complete after thought other then Sansa asking where he was, to which she put up zero fight about when told. The people aren't the brightest, I mean Jon rode a dragon and nobody outside of Tyrion or Dany seemed to even take notice to how unusual that was. Tormund saw it and didn't seem to put it together, **** anyone at Winterfell saw it during the fight with the dead and nobody apparently put it together then either. I refuse to give the common folk or even the so called "Lords" any benefit of the doubt as they don't seem too bright.

2. That whole spiel by Tyrion was over dramatic. The worst he did was take off his badge and toss it down the stairs, nobody knew about him letting Jaime free and probably never would have since very few really knew it seems. Logically he distanced himself from the Queen after she decided to go all ballistic on the civilians for no reason, he didn't kill her, so I doubt anyone would have hated him for that. I get it, it was said, but imo it was complete over dramatization.

3. I get what you're saying to a degree regarding Bran but if he can see the future then that means he knew Dany would torch the city and Jon would kill her leaving the throne open for the taking. If he did then he definitely let things play out the way they did for his own personal gain. I just don't see how Bran who accomplished very little and the powers of being the three eyed raven were never really put on full display is somehow a better option then Jon and having strong advisors around him. I feel like I'm arguing points that make no difference and are based on things that didn't happen anyways so I'll leave it alone.
Yea. Im just working with what we've been presented within the scope of the show. Lol

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 05-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #381
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
How could the Dothraki and Unsullied not know? They were at the Battle of Winterfell and know the White Walkers were defeated.

Yeah I don't buy that part either. I mean is the Night's Watch basically the only jail where they send bad people?

Quote:
And in regards to them not bringing up Jon being heir or voting him as king...I kinda get that too. At least, I feel you can make sense of it.

Based on their experience with the last two Targaryens, I don't think that the people would be in any rush to get another back on the throne. Lol

On top of that, Tyrion says that half the people hate him because he supported Dany and the other half hate him because he betrayed her. Pretty sure that line of thought would now apply to Jon as well.

Plus we know how much **** Jamie received for being a kingslayer. This despite it being the Mad King...would have to think the same would apply to Jon for killing the Queen.

So it wouldn't be that great of a way to start for ol Johnny as king.

Not to mention the fact that he really hasn't had success as a leader. He pissed people off and lost support at the wall. He pissed people off and lost support in the North. He doesn't really know how to navigate politically. Jon always follows his heart, even to his detriment. And those were small scale jobs compared to being Lord of the seven kingdoms.

So he is a great person yes. But would be a crap ruler based on what we've seen of him.
IDK, everyone in these kingdoms really loved Jon and would ride for him. Multiple people thought he would make a good king. Agreed on the being a bad king part though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Seasons 1-6 brilliant.

Seasons 7-8 meh.

It is what it is.

I will watch seasons 1-6 again and bath in it’s glory.

And then say to myself....I already know how this will end. And it was not that great.

It was not horrible. But quite anti-climatic.

Two things really stuck out to me.

The way Cerci dies totally stunk. I wanted her to suffer a fantastic death at either Aya’s or Dany’s hand.

I hated how Dany was killed. I loved her and loved her badass destruction of Kings Landing.

Yeah I like me a little evil streak. She was pissed off. Don’t **** with the Mother of Dragons.

Anyway. Wonderful series. Great times.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I'm the opposite in the sense that Season 8 kind of ruined me rewatching the whole series knowing that it would end this way. I made it to Season 3 of my rewatch before I was couldn't mentally get past how trash this last season has been.

Maybe after a few weeks this will change but I need something to watch at night once the NBA Finals go off lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #382
Pro

OVR: 2

Why does Bran care where the dragon is?

While I'm a little indifferent on the ending overall, I felt odd and weird watching the episode just by the acting and dialogue. It was just corny and rushed and as I watched I couldn't help but think the actors thought the way it was going down was **** and tried their best to act it up and make it meaningful.

It's not the worse - but still after 8 seasons of an otherwise often show I am left feeling like it was pretty bland and like so what...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #383
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanner
Why does Bran care where the dragon is?

While I'm a little indifferent on the ending overall, I felt odd and weird watching the episode just by the acting and dialogue. It was just corny and rushed and as I watched I couldn't help but think the actors thought the way it was going down was **** and tried their best to act it up and make it meaningful.

It's not the worse - but still after 8 seasons of an otherwise often show I am left feeling like it was pretty bland and like so what...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Purely speculation here but maybe Bran is just a little nervous that there’s a possibly vindictive dragon on the loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #384
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Y

I'm the opposite in the sense that Season 8 kind of ruined me rewatching the whole series knowing that it would end this way. I made it to Season 3 of my rewatch before I was couldn't mentally get past how trash this last season has been.

Maybe after a few weeks this will change but I need something to watch at night once the NBA Finals go off lol.
Haha yea I think i want to rewatch a bit of the early seasons just to get the bad taste out of my mouth but I can't do the whole thing again knowing whats to come at the end.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »