Home

Remakes of All In The Family and The Jeffersons

This is a discussion on Remakes of All In The Family and The Jeffersons within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2019, 01:30 AM   #1
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Remakes of All In The Family and The Jeffersons

Once again Hollywood and the entertainment industry seem to simply be trying to cash in on what was once famous and could be considered infamous.

Star-Studded 'All in the Family,' 'The Jeffersons' Live Event Set at ABC

I can't wait for this to just fail miserably. Leave the classics alone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2019, 02:30 AM   #2
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Remakes of All In The Family and The Jeffersons

lol as if any of that **** would fly today.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
lol as if any of that **** would fly today.
That **** almost didn't fly back then too. This is Hollywood where they don't like to rock the boat AT ALL. In the case of Archie Bunker I daresay just like back then, there are quite a few Archie Bunkers sitting around in America. It's why he became such a cult character. The character was both a hero to some and a note perfect depiction of the "ugly American" to others.

The Jeffersons started off as a bit political but a lot of that dissipated and it became more of a social commentary show in terms of race relations and such so an adaptation of that sitcom is not such a crazy idea.

As for this event, I give it a pass because Norman Lear is involved in it. If this was something done without Lear then i'd be of the same opinion as daflyboys. This is just a one off event and one that I will be tuning into.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

Ever consider that Lear might be selling out?

Saddest thing about the Jeffersons was that Mike Evans didn't stay on as Lionel. I think he continued writing until his early death. Heard he had a lot of personal problems. His interchanges with Archie in the original series were classics.

(you can't recreate this...and it's foolish to try)
Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #5
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Ever consider that Lear might be selling out?
Maybe to a degree but it's people that Lear that actually tried to be thought provoking while being humorous as well. The world could use more Norman Lears and Susan Harris' IMO. Both of them were able to bring some critical issues to the table while still putting out funny television.

As for Lear, it's not like he hasn't tried to bring an AITF type of thing on TV after the fact. In the '90s he tried with 704 Hauser in 1994 which was set in the Bunker house with a black family. They basically tried to recapture the Archie Bunker model but flipping it with John Amos playing the patriarch of a black working class democratic family with a conservative son and his white, jewish girlfriend. I remember show being even MORE political than AITF but it didn't pan out.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #6
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Maybe to a degree but it's people that Lear that actually tried to be thought provoking while being humorous as well. The world could use more Norman Lears and Susan Harris' IMO. Both of them were able to bring some critical issues to the table while still putting out funny television.

As for Lear, it's not like he hasn't tried to bring an AITF type of thing on TV after the fact. In the '90s he tried with 704 Hauser in 1994 which was set in the Bunker house with a black family. They basically tried to recapture the Archie Bunker model but flipping it with John Amos playing the patriarch of a black working class democratic family with a conservative son and his white, jewish girlfriend. I remember show being even MORE political than AITF but it didn't pan out.
I get that. You created something great. You don't want it to end. So you look for the proper spinoff. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

But to completely clone something that essentially set a trend and paved a way sounds like a sell out to me.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:41 AM   #7
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys

But to completely clone something that essentially set a trend and paved a way sounds like a sell out to me.
I hear you on that. I won't be in town when the special airs but I will let you know what I think of it when I come back if you're interested.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

I'm gonna try to champion through the 1st half of it. I know I'm going in tainted, but this is the groundwork they're setting. The bar is just too high.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »