Home

Spider Man OUT of the MCU.

This is a discussion on Spider Man OUT of the MCU. within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #33
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Spider Man OUT of the MCU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
Sony's venom success is going to their head.

They want to make a venom/spidey/carnage movie but it not being rated R is already a failure.

You cant do Carnage without an R rating.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This wasn't Sony's doing.

Sony was completely happy where they were, and would have rode that wave as long as they could have. Then Disney did Disney-greedy things, and Sony said they couldn't live with that.

Also, if Deadpool and Blade are going to be under Marvel's name, then you can bet they're probably not going to make those R-rated either. Sony isn't the only studio going soft toward the MPAA.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #34
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
This wasn't Sony's doing.

Sony was completely happy where they were, and would have rode that wave as long as they could have. Then Disney did Disney-greedy things, and Sony said they couldn't live with that.

Also, if Deadpool and Blade are going to be under Marvel's name, then you can bet they're probably not going to make those R-rated either. Sony isn't the only studio going soft toward the MPAA.
If Sony can't work out a deal I put it all on them. They lose exponentially more than Marvel does by losing the MCU, it essentially requires a reboot of almost everything outside of Venom - driven by THEIR greed. The greed goes both ways. It becomes another huge misstep in managing this IP they've licensed, one that really only finally realized it's full box office potential by partnering with Marvel. Disney isn't without blame, they're going to get everything they can out of their IP, but Sony more often than not has missed the mark and they seem to be willing to roll the dice when the MCU-related properties have been much closer to a sure thing movie after movie after movie.

Last edited by mestevo; 08-24-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #35
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
If Sony can't work out a deal I put it all on them. They lose exponentially more than Marvel does by losing the MCU, it essentially requires a reboot of almost everything outside of Venom - driven by THEIR greed. The greed goes both ways. It becomes another huge misstep in managing this IP they've licensed, one that really only finally realized it's full box office potential by partnering with Marvel. Disney isn't without blame, they're going to get everything they can out of their IP, but Sony more often than not has missed the mark and they seem to be willing to roll the dice when the MCU-related properties have been much closer to a sure thing movie after movie after movie.
Perhaps. In a way, it kind of looks like Sony is trying to call Disney's bluff. Disney loses significantly more largely, but this time doesn't have to be looked at as the bad guy (unlike the James Gunn stuff).

We'll see how this goes, but with Tom Holland not backing Sony in this at all, if they can't get him for more Spider-Man films (and have the awkward transition like the Pitch Meeting YT video showed), then Sony will lose out just as much on this, too.

Unfortunately for Sony, they may have to do one of those things that sports franchises sometimes have to do, like when they sign somebody for a costly penny just so that another team doesn't, even if they're not valued that high.

Sony may have to take a bite out of what Disney is proposing, but if I were them and I caved, I would request back-end returns when all is said and done. By that time, Disney's streaming service would have years under their belt and they would probably already be profiting off of it by then, plus what Spider-Man provides when it comes to audience interest going through Phase 4 and beyond.

That Pitch Meeting was right on point, though. The only thing in the world that rich people want more than money... is more money.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #36
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Tom Holland just came out on stage at D23 and said that he was "grateful from the bottom of his heart" and that he "loves us 3000".
Old 08-24-2019, 08:12 PM   #37
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13

Not sure how true it is but saw that over the last 6 months or so Disney put a deal on the table of paying 25% of the cost of movies and getting 25% of the box office but Sony never responded to them, then they came with the 50/50 deal.

https://screenrant.com/disney-sony-s...ercent-profit/

Quote:
Disney reportedly asked Sony for 25% of the profits on any future Spider-Man movie Marvel Studios worked on, not the 50/50 split as initially stated. Sony and Marvel Studios entered into a partnership to share Spider-Man in 2015. The original deal was simple, Sony paid for any Spider-Man solo film and received the profits. Meanwhile, Marvel Studios was given creative input on these films and allowed to use Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for the first time. Tom Holland made five appearances as the character over the last four years, but Spider-Man: Far From Home could possibly be his last in the MCU.

START NOW
His second solo movie marked the end of Sony and Marvel's deal, which was extended after the original arrangement of one MCU film and one solo film. When the split was first reported, it was easy to understand why neither side wanted to agree to the other's proposals. The early reports said Disney wanted to co-finance future Spider-Man movies and split the profits with Sony in exchange for Kevin Feige's work. But, Sony reportedly wanted to keep the deal at its current place, where Marvel Studios received 5% of first-dollar gross. That is a huge gap to overcome, but recent reports contradict this and make it appear as though Sony and Marvel could secretly be on common ground.

After Deadline mentioned in their original report that Disney wanted a 50% cut on future Spider-Man movies, other outlets have chimed in as the days have gone by. THR stated that Disney was looking for at least a 30% stake in future films, which they say Sony rejected. More recently though, Variety reported that Sony president Tom Rothman was willing to give up as much as 25% to retain Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige's input. Three days after their original report, Deadline is now back and says Disney's initial asking price was also a 25% stake. This would only be for movies that Feige was involved in, though, but Sony reportedly didn't move on the deal for months, leading Disney to ask for the 50% stake.

The moment that Sony publicly issued a statement blaming Disney for the deal falling through, it became apparent that this was a case of public negotiating by both sides. That's what makes these multiple reports over who asked for what all the more fascinating. Instead of Disney wanting a 50% stake and Sony only offering up 5%, the most recent reports indicate that there is actually common ground at 25%. The question at this point would become whether or not these studios and those negotiating the deal will actually agree to do the deal at the 25/75 financing and profit split.

If this all was a very public negotiation over Marvel's most valuable character, then to see it all play out in real-time is a rare insight into the Hollywood deal-making process fans don't normally see. And, this all indicates that a potential reconfigured agreement is moving in the right direction. That doesn't mean that Sony and Disney/Marvel will absolutely make a deal, but the outcry over Spidey's exit from the MCU has been loud. Now fans will just have to wait and see if this offer of a 25% stake for Disney is put back on the table and ultimately allows for more Spider-Man movies to be made in the MCU.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:26 PM   #38
All Star

OVR: 8

I have mixed feelings on this news. Even though both movies were better than I expected Holland's spiderman never felt right to me. Of course the alternative is yet another reboot, and I think we've had enough of those. I guess someone mentioned Miles Morales as being an option, but as someone who never read the comics Peter Parker is the only spider-man I know. So I don't know how I'd feel about that.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:35 PM   #39
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
I have mixed feelings on this news. Even though both movies were better than I expected Holland's spiderman never felt right to me. Of course the alternative is yet another reboot, and I think we've had enough of those. I guess someone mentioned Miles Morales as being an option, but as someone who never read the comics Peter Parker is the only spider-man I know. So I don't know how I'd feel about that.
Pssst, check out Into the Spider-Verse.

The PS4 video game also has the Morales character, so you get to learn about him a little there as well.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #40
All Star

OVR: 0

https://wegotthiscovered-com.cdn.amp...-disney-pay%2F

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »