Home

Steven Spielberg Won't Direct "Indiana Jones 5", James Mangold in Talks to Replace.

This is a discussion on Steven Spielberg Won't Direct "Indiana Jones 5", James Mangold in Talks to Replace. within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0
Steven Spielberg Won't Direct "Indiana Jones 5", James Mangold in Talks to Replace.

Quote:
After a long development process, Steven Spielberg is handing the directing reins on “Indiana Jones 5” to another filmmaker for the first time in the franchise’s 39-year history, Variety has learned.

Sources say, while a deal hasn’t closed, “Ford v Ferrari” director James Mangold is in talks to take the job. Mangold has been put in this situation before when he took over the “Wolverine” franchise; 2017’s “Logan” was a blockbuster, grossing $619 million globally, and earning Mangold an Oscar nomination for adapted screenplay.

Spielberg will remain as a hands-on producer on “Indy 5.” According to a source close to the filmmaker, the decision to leave the director’s chair was entirely Spielberg’s, in a desire to pass along Indy’s whip to a new generation to bring their perspective to the story.

Harrison Ford, meanwhile, is still on the project. The actor recently made headlines speaking about the future of the franchise while promoting his latest film, “The Call of the Wild.” He told “CBS Sunday Morning” this month that he was “going to start doing ‘Indiana Jones’ in about two months,” and then days later told HeyUGuys that the project is still facing “scheduling issues and a few script things” and that “we’re determined to get it right before we get it made.

When Disney first announced the new “Indiana Jones” film in 2016, with Spielberg directing and Ford starring, the studio originally slated the film to open on July 19, 2019. Then it was pushed a year to July 10, 2020, and then delayed again to July 9, 2021, when Jonathan Kasdan (son of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” scribe Lawrence Kasdan) was brought on to take a pass on the script after original screenwriter David Koepp left the project.

With a new director coming on board, the possibility that “Indy 5” will be pushed once more from its 2021 release date seems likely. Spokespeople for Spielberg and Disney declined to comment.

This was already going to be a busy year for Spielberg, who is in post-production on his new version of the classic musical “West Side Story,” which Disney will release through 20th Century Studios on Dec. 18. But the most successful director in Hollywood handing the franchise that helped define his career to another filmmaker is nonetheless a surprising development. As opposed to the other movie franchises inaugurated by Spielberg — “Jaws” and “Jurassic Park” — the filmmaker has remained in tight creative control of the “Indiana Jones” films, directing every one since “Raiders of the Lost Ark” debuted in 1981 (and earned eight Oscar nominations, including for best picture).

Still, George Lucas, who co-created Indiana Jones with Spielberg, has retired and is not expected to be officially involved with “Indy 5.” The most recent “Indy” film, 2008’s “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” was a global hit, earning $790.6 million worldwide, but it also served as an example of nostalgic excitement for the return of a beloved franchise after many years away, leading to disappointment among some fans in the final product.

One thing is clear, however: Mangold has quite a big fedora to fill.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/s...rd-1203515698/
Well, at least in Ford v Ferrari I mostly couldn't tell the difference between the CGI and the practical special effects which would be an welcomed improvement on that CGI fest called Indiana Jones 4.

What say you, James Mangold: yay or nay?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Re: Steven Spielberg Won't Direct "Indiana Jones 5", James Mangold in Talks to Replac

Any working title or any hints at the story?

Excited.

I liked Crystal Skull....but it was no where near the joy of Raiders or Last Crusade. Temple of Doom is good, but not amazing like Raiders and Last Crusade.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 02-28-2020, 10:25 PM   #3
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Steven Spielberg Won't Direct "Indiana Jones 5", James Mangold in Talks to Replac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword

I liked Crystal Skull....but it was no where near the joy of Raiders or Last Crusade. Temple of Doom is good, but not amazing like Raiders and Last Crusade.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I think you were in the minority on this. Aliens? Really? I remember walking out of the theater being very disappointed and thinking it should have gone out on top with Ford and Connery taking it home.

I think this will fail mightily.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #4
Rookie

LODHockey's Arena

Ford Vs Ferrari was amazing. So I am excited to see this. I hope it will be the last because a 80 year old Indy is not that cool. LoL

Sent from my SM-G973U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-28-2020, 11:15 PM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Ford v Ferrari
Logan
3:10 to Yuma
Identity

Now if we just try and pretend that Knight and Day never happened, I'd say this is a no-brainer kind of win!

Not a big Indiana Jones fan, but that's splendid news nonetheless.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »