Home

RIP Alex Trebek

This is a discussion on RIP Alex Trebek within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #1

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
RIP Alex Trebek

Yes, 2020 sucks.

Regis and Trebek in a matter of just over 3 months!

Everyone knew it was only a matter of time given his health issues and his age (he was 80), but obviously sucks to hear.

Probably one of the most well known Canadians in history.

I believe they were still filming (or just airing?) new episodes, so it'll be weird to see these new ones knowing it's the final ones he ever filmed. Talk about big shoes to fill. You're replacing someone who has been hosting the show for decades and only stopped hosting it because he died.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: RIP Alex Trebek

Man this is awful news. I thought he had turned the corner against his disease.

RIP

Watch me play video games
Old 11-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I'm literally in tears right now.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 11-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Damn

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 11-08-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I'll take ‘‘Most Intelligent Entertainers’’ for a 1000 Alex.

''who is Trebek?''

rest in peace and live on forevermore in syndication reruns

been watching Jeopardy! w/Trebek off and on and on and off since I was a teenangel. I'm 50 now and hope I haven't seen the last of Trebek on Jeopardy until I join him

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 01-08-2021 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I am backlogged on Jeopardy (still in 2019 episodes), but have watched every episode with my parents since about 2011, and before that when I would come from college for breaks. After my dad passed in 2014, my mom and I continued the tradition. I've been quarantining with her, so we've been catching up on our backlog. Just watched three episodes last night, in fact.

Actually, we were watching the current season for a while after he was diagnosed, but went back to the backlog when quarantine started and there weren't new episodes. So we still have 125 episodes recorded with him that we haven't seen, plus all the ones they will air up through his final taping. I'll try my best to keep him alive as long as those recordings occur, but I know that my mom will keep saying "I can't believe he's gone" to just remind me that he's no longer with us.

There was a time several years ago that I was happy in my head and heart to know I'd have another decade or two of Alex Trebek on Jeopardy, who is of course the glue of the program. There was also a long stint where I said to myself: "It's nice that despite all other things that seem to grow and change over time, Alex is one constant who doesn't really seem to get any older."

I don't know if Ken Jennings plans to replace him, but it's going to be so surreal the first episode that I don't see the man. It'll truly never be the same. I am glad that Ken, James Holzhauer, and Brad Rutter were able to get in the Greatest of All Time tournament, though! That was such an impressive competition that I'm sure Alex was completely eating up every minute of.

Speaking of which, the one thing I never really learned about him is how much knowledge the man has himself. There are times when he references a wrong answer as if he is fully aware, despite the fact he probably has cues to assist him, but I'm sure he is very well-versed especially after hosting the show for so long that he could outplay us all on his own program. I do know that he was bilingual.

In a year of the most sour of events and news beginning with Kobe and Gianna's passing (which is in a way more impactful because of their youth and the unexpectedness), this one just rips away at me more so as a sign of 2020 ****ting on my happiness.

May he rest in peace, and forever be lodged in my memory.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 11-08-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:02 AM   #7
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

Another legend gone. As far as I can remember I was watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy every night with my grampa. That was our tradition and every time I watch it after he was gone, I knew he was there next to me competing with me "asking the questions."

Since i was 4, wow that was a long time someone has been a part of anything.

He was the greatest show host to ever live.

Who is Alex Trebek?

RIP Alex
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Old 11-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinDaMike

He was the greatest show host to ever live.

Who is Alex Trebek?

RIP Alex
My thoughts exactly!

I have faithfully watched Jeopardy (dvr'd it) every weekday and the rerun's they show on Saturday for as long as I can remember.

I haven't read anything about a successor, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Ken Jennings. He is already on the Jeopardy team as a consulting producer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »