Home

Do you ever take a knee?

This is a discussion on Do you ever take a knee? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2004, 04:10 PM   #57
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Do you ever take a knee?

I take the knee when the opponnent can't stop the clock and there is enough time left to burn it with a knee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 12-02-2004, 10:49 AM   #58
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I take the knee when the opponnent can't stop the clock and there is enough time left to burn it with a knee.
Only if it is towards the end of the 4th quarter, not the 2nd quarter, and I am ahead on the scoreboard.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #59
All Star

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Vader
Only if it is towards the end of the 4th quarter, not the 2nd quarter, and I am ahead on the scoreboard.
Well a lot of NFL teams take a knee late in the 1st half with the ball deep in their territory, so I guess you know more than they do.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:45 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Well a lot of NFL teams take a knee late in the 1st half with the ball deep in their territory, so I guess you know more than they do.

Shhh, he knows what hes doing. He went to the Mike Martz school of coaching.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:34 AM   #61
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXLT
Cute ZXLT. I don't have to BE an NFL coach to recognize good and bad coaching decisions. Kneeling the ball during the first half when you have timeouts at your disposal is most often a bad decision. There is still too much football left to assume your opponent won't come back on you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2004, 08:47 AM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenimus
Shhh, he knows what hes doing. He went to the Mike Martz school of coaching.
That was a compliment…that is until you compared me to Mike Martz. Now THAT guy is a coaching ******!

Look fellas, we all have our own philosophies on how the great game of football should be played. That is what makes NFL2k so great is the fact that WE are in control of our team, and we can make ALL the coaching decisions we feel give us the best shot at a win. I have seen WAY too many real football games where the team that kneeled the ball during the first half is struggling to call plays as fast as they can towards the end of the game, because they ran out of time to score a field goal to win the game. A field goal that they could have gotten if they would have used their timeouts and drove the ball during the end of the first half instead of throwing the clock away.

Does everyone remember the Rams vs. Patriots Super Bowl? Towards the end of the game, the Patriots were driving the ball with just seconds left in the game. The idiotic John Madden was saying, "I don't agree with what the Patriots are doing here. They should just kneel the ball and take their chances in overtime." This was perhaps one of the dumbest statements ever made during a football game. The Patriots used the clock, used their timeouts, drove the ball, got in range and won the game with a field goal. They won the greatest game of their lives by using the clock, NOT kneeling the ball, and playing to win. Think of this philosophy when you are playing during the first half. This is what makes the Patriots the current NFL Champion—they use the clock wisely to help them win games.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #63
All Star

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Vader
Cute ZXLT. I don't have to BE an NFL coach to recognize good and bad coaching decisions. Kneeling the ball during the first half when you have timeouts at your disposal is most often a bad decision. There is still too much football left to assume your opponent won't come back on you.
I didn't say that, but you're making it sound like it's a HUGE MISTAKE to do that, when NFL teams do it all the time. If it's such an obvious mistake, why do you think they still do it? You're definitely entitled to your own personal opinion and coaching philosophy, but you don't need to call anyone that disagrees with you an idiot.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:39 AM   #64
Banned

ZXLT,

You need to direct your comment to janus. He is the one that felt it necessary to begin the name-calling crap. Not me. I retaliated by calling him a dumb-a$$ only after he called me an idiot. No need for you and I to start that crap either. You seem pretty level-headed. So far…

Here is the deal. Yes, most coaches still kneel the ball during the first half. But just because a lot of people do it, it does not make it right. Do me a favor. Keep track of the games you watch this weekend. Take note of how many teams kneel the ball during the first half of play, regardless of the score when they kneel it down. Then see how many of those teams WON their game at the end, and how many LOST their game at the end. I think the numbers will shock you. What is so hard to understand about treating the first half of football as an integral part of the final score?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »