Home

NFL2k6: Xbox Next Question

This is a discussion on NFL2k6: Xbox Next Question within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
NFL2k6: Xbox Next Question

Hey NFL2kers!!

I have been thinking…if Microsoft produces its Xbox Next WITHOUT a hard drive, (as originally stated by Microsoft) does that mean our NFL2k7 won't have custom stadium music capability? It will be a damned shame if this is the case. I also wonder if Xbox Next will use Blu-Ray disks for their games, allowing NFL2k7 to be the first true High-Definition NFL Video Game.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: NFL2k6: Xbox Next Question

Well, why wouldn't they just have an harddrive that you can buy and add-on like PS2? Sure, that's not the most favorable, but still.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Vader
Hey NFL2kers!!

I have been thinking…if Microsoft produces its Xbox Next WITHOUT a hard drive, (as originally stated by Microsoft) does that mean our NFL2k7 won't have custom stadium music capability? It will be a damned shame if this is the case. I also wonder if Xbox Next will use Blu-Ray disks for their games, allowing NFL2k7 to be the first true High-Definition NFL Video Game.

Thoughts?
Blue- ray is a sony product . They will be using hd-dvd . There is a rumor on ign that they will be selling one with and with out a hard drive.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kondo
Blue- ray is a sony product . They will be using hd-dvd . There is a rumor on ign that they will be selling one with and with out a hard drive.
Well, just because BluRay is a Sony product, I don't think that necessarily means Xbox Next will not use it as the format for their system. It is whatever format that is more accepted by the general public when it comes out next year that should be used for Xbox Next.

I did some reading on the Web and you are right — I saw the comments too about the THREE different versions of Xbox Next; one BASE model, one HARD DRIVE model, and then a PC model which will allow you to surf the net, send email, work on Excel Files, etc. Personally, I will be buying the HARD DRIVE model since I am now spoiled with the hard drive, and I have no need for a PC with my awesome Mac.

On a side note, since Xbox Next is not going to be out until fall of 2005, I hope that Sega waits until NFL2k7 in 2006 to release their first NFL2k title on the new console. When they did NFL2k2 for Xbox, it was a mess. This was because they rushed it through just to get the title out on Xbox quickly. I would rather they wait a year, develop a kick-*** Xbox Farewell title in NFL2k6, and use that extra time to really impress us with NFL2k7 on Xbox Next.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:01 AM   #5
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

the xbox is speculated to come out in 3 formats.

xbox next - without a hard drive
xbox hd - with a hard drive
xbox pc - will come out a year after those versions and will be able to play both consoles and pc games.

microsoft won't screw us in the next generation. they know that they have MANY people out there that love having a hard drive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 AM   #6
Banned

Hey Knox,

I posted this before I found out that the plan is for Microsoft to have 3 separate units. Now my hope is that Sega develops 2k7 (I am sure they won't have the time to get 2k6 out for this whole new system.) for the hard drive version of the Xbox. That's what made NFL2k a bit of a bummer for the Xbox titles until this year. They were developing the game for the lower-powered system (PS2) and then porting it to Xbox. It is a much better idea to develop for the better system first (Hard Drive Xbox Next version) and THEN take things away from it to accommodate the lower-end system.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:05 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Doesn't sound like the 3 separate units concept is set in stone. Just found this article dated today...

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...7849191.htm?1c

From what it says there will be no HDD unless Sony ads one to their new console. It really sounds like MS is going with a more conventional business model. Bye-bye HDD hello memory sticks/cards (sold seperately of course).
Old 11-23-2004, 09:47 AM   #8
Rookie

bdouk's Arena

OVR: 2

Vader,

The problem with saying that the Xbox Next will use the most accepted High Def DVD format is that by the time the specs are finalized, there will be no clear winner in the battle. If MS launches in late 2005, we will just be starting to see the consumer level HD-DVD and BluRay players hitting the market. While I don't want to see a battle between these two formats, I am afraid we might be in store for another DVD-Audio / SACD battle.

Some have also feared that these High-Def formats would be merely just niche products. While I think that will be the case for the first year or two, I think the gaming consoles will help immensley in advancing an installed base (much like the PS2 did with DVD). Eventually one format has to win out. Retailers only have so much shelf space. Can you imagine Best Buy stocking two different kinds of every DVD in their inventory? It just isn't feasable for the consumer or the retailers to have two formats trying to do the same job.

That being said, I really can not wait for the next generation 2k games. VC has been on the forefront of developing sports titles (arguably better than EA) for many years now. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us in the coming years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »