Home

Cut Back Runs and Counter Plays

This is a discussion on Cut Back Runs and Counter Plays within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2004, 01:30 AM   #1
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Cut Back Runs and Counter Plays

Can anyone give any suggestions on running cutbacks/counters?

I like running a good variety of plays, but these seem doomed for failure every time I try them. The RB takes so long to change direction, that the defense is all over me before I can ever get going. If I control the RB from the snap, he inevitably does some stutter step animation and is a dead duck. I have also let the CPU control in initial cut, but by the time I take control, the play has broken down.

I go back to Atari and have played alot of video football games. There have been some great advancements, but it seems that even in 2004, ALL football games suffer from having too many plays that are too successful, too often, and other plays that never work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Cut Back Runs and Counter Plays

I can't help you with the cutback plays, as I can't get those to work for me either.

However, with the counter play, the main things that I do are as follows:

1) Don't use the counter as your staple running play like one would in Madden. The defense will buy into it if you use it too many times; it's more useful as a misdirection play to mix things up a bit.

2) When the ball is given to the running back, hold the joystick in a diagonal direction; don't run straight left/right or he'll do some weird sidestep that most of the time only slows you down.

3) When running the counter, follow the pulling blocker and (if there) the fullback. Also, the counters are designed to run somewhat like an off-tackle play vs an iso or a sweep; try to run it just outside of the last blocker on the side you are running to (either a tackle or a tight end).

While I only use the counter about twice a game, I can normally get pretty good yardage (5-15+ yards) using it.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:11 AM   #3
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Yeah and you can't wait around on the cutback plays either. Once you see a hole on a cutback play-HIT IT and be ready to use a special move because somebody maybe waiting there. The Zone Cutback is gold with Portis.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:03 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 17

Screen Passes are a problem in this game too that need to be fixed.....they are almost impossible to complete without having 3 defense players all over you about 5-7 yards in the backfield all the time
Old 11-27-2004, 06:20 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
Screen Passes are a problem in this game too that need to be fixed.....they are almost impossible to complete without having 3 defense players all over you about 5-7 yards in the backfield all the time
This sounds stupid but the only way i can do the screen pass is to drop back farther/scramble with the QB and throw it off my back foot...it's a softer pass yet not as slow as a lob and often the RB has to adjust to it a little so he doesn't catch it as flat-footed and stand there as he's wrapped up....I can even pull off the Giants' FB Screen for a yard or two to Jim Finn even at worst sometimes.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I was able to get some yards on a screen play by rolling my QB out in the opposite direction of the RB. Not exactly the way it is designed, but it did draw some defenders away which is what the play is supposed to do.....I guess.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:07 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

when I call a cutback play, i usually let the CPU take control of the HB for the first few steps. If you just hike the ball and don't push anything, the cpu takes control. Once he gets going in a certain direction, then I take over.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
MVP

LanteriX's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondock
This sounds stupid but the only way i can do the screen pass is to drop back farther/scramble with the QB and throw it off my back foot...it's a softer pass yet not as slow as a lob and often the RB has to adjust to it a little so he doesn't catch it as flat-footed and stand there as he's wrapped up....I can even pull off the Giants' FB Screen for a yard or two to Jim Finn even at worst sometimes.....
That doesnt sound stupid....that's how you're supposed to run a screen play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »