Home

Commentary weakness (a.k.a. Is Boomer going senile?)

This is a discussion on Commentary weakness (a.k.a. Is Boomer going senile?) within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Icon9 Commentary weakness (a.k.a. Is Boomer going senile?)

I love this game guys, but like every video game, the audio portion can get downright annoying. On the amusing side, in back-to-back weeks, Chris Berman has urged "viewers" to watch the impact that Kyle Boller (Baltimore) and Jevon Kearse (Philly) will have on the upcoming games. For some reason, Boomer was not aware that neither player would appear in anything but street clothes for these games, and Kearse had been out for weeks. So why doesn't Berman listen when Trey gives the injury reports?

On the other hand, the in-game commentators are getting to be just like those in MVP: stuck on last season. I am 13 weeks into this season, and they still feel it necessary to showcase what players did in 2003. Who cares? If they compared last year to this season, that would be different--and in fact, might even show me if I am not using a certain player correctly. But c'mon...the game is called 2K5, so that puts the commentators two years behind. Catch up, guys!
College Hoops 2k8: Duke, Winston-Salem State
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Commentary weakness (a.k.a. Is Boomer going senile?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase503
I love this game guys, but like every video game, the audio portion can get downright annoying. On the amusing side, in back-to-back weeks, Chris Berman has urged "viewers" to watch the impact that Kyle Boller (Baltimore) and Jevon Kearse (Philly) will have on the upcoming games. For some reason, Boomer was not aware that neither player would appear in anything but street clothes for these games, and Kearse had been out for weeks. So why doesn't Berman listen when Trey gives the injury reports?

On the other hand, the in-game commentators are getting to be just like those in MVP: stuck on last season. I am 13 weeks into this season, and they still feel it necessary to showcase what players did in 2003. Who cares? If they compared last year to this season, that would be different--and in fact, might even show me if I am not using a certain player correctly. But c'mon...the game is called 2K5, so that puts the commentators two years behind. Catch up, guys!

I think it's really funny that, on Week 1, he always welcomes you to Kick-off Weekend, 2004. Um, Boomer? It's not 2004 anymore.

I also get a kick out of the drive chart, which tells whether a team scored, turned it over, punt, whatever. It could say the following:

TD
TD
TD
TD
INT
TD

And the colour guy (I can never remember his name) would say "How they turned the ball over sticks out..."

Dave
Old 12-08-2004, 04:33 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hist
I think it's really funny that, on Week 1, he always welcomes you to Kick-off Weekend, 2004. Um, Boomer? It's not 2004 anymore.

I also get a kick out of the drive chart, which tells whether a team scored, turned it over, punt, whatever. It could say the following:

TD
TD
TD
TD
INT
TD

And the colour guy (I can never remember his name) would say "How they turned the ball over sticks out..."

Dave
Yeah, I do enjoy Dan Stevens and Peter O'Keefe, but that drive recap does stand out as odd. I remember a game recently where O'Keefe commented on the fact that my team had punted twice in the last five possessions. "You can't win game if you don't move the ball." I was up by four touchdowns and cruising.

Just last night he commented on Eddie George: "Way to get the ball into the endzone. That's why this team is gonna ring up a W tonight." Yes, Steady Eddie had scored two TDs, both in the first half. But this was in the last two minutes of the game, and my Cowboys were trailing the Seahawks 21-17. Yes, we did come back, scoring two touchdowns in the last 1:14 to win 31-21, but there is NO way O'Keefe knew that--did he?!?

(By the way, I love his voice. It SO reminds me of the narrator's voice in "A Christmas Story.")
College Hoops 2k8: Duke, Winston-Salem State
Old 12-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

I could do without the 'War and Peace' comment. I hear that damned line in EVERY SINGLE GAME!

Without a doubt, it is time for the voice actors who play Dan and Peter to record all new commentary. I still catch comments from 3 and 4 years ago. I would also like them to have a special recording session for Playoff Games and the Super Bowl that are **LOCKED** until you make the Playoffs. I hate hearing Regular Season commentary in a game as important as the NFC Championship game where one team's season is about to end in heartbreak.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:24 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

they need to get Mike Patrick, Joe Theisman and Paul McGwire to do the announcing for ESPN NFL2K6 ... get the Sunday Night Football crew. These 2 phonies are annoying and it takes away from the authenicity of the game. the play by play guy's voice is so damn annoying!.

Mike Patrick and Jay Bilas do a great job on ESPN College Hoops 2K5. They should get Dicky V's rights and have a 3 man crew in that game also, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaholics
they need to get Mike Patrick, Joe Theisman and Paul McGwire to do the announcing for ESPN NFL2K6 ... get the Sunday Night Football crew. These 2 phonies are annoying and it takes away from the authenicity of the game. the play by play guy's voice is so damn annoying!.

Mike Patrick and Jay Bilas do a great job on ESPN College Hoops 2K5. They should get Dicky V's rights and have a 3 man crew in that game also, though.
The problem with that is we would lose most of what makes this team great. It's the spontaneous outbursts and arguing that make them fun. In a scripted game, I think they would get boring very fast.

Dave
Old 12-09-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 17

LoL, I was in year three of my franchise w/the Vikings when I heard Peter O'Keefe talking about how the Vikings are expecting big play out of rookie kenechi Udeze that season. The funny thing was he was talking as if it was Udeze's rookie season. Maybe after the first year they should delete lines about a player being a rookie. I was glad they had some commentary on the rookies, but three years in, give me a break.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »