Home

Who likes this deal?

This is a discussion on Who likes this deal? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
Rookie

iwilson6's Arena

OVR: 2
Who likes this deal?

All I have been reading is negative comments on the EA deal. So my question is, who is excited about this deal?

I am in fact an ESPN convert from years past, simply because I felt that EA would release the same game every year.

Is there anything good about this deal? If you think so, let us know!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Who likes this deal?

The suits running EA Sports and the NFL like the deal - the NFL gets a truckload of cash and EA has essentially put themselves in an exclusive market. Those guys are all loving the deal.

Its a bad deal for games, no matter what brand you prefer to play. It limits competition, which drives innovation and in turn leads to game improvements. Without that competition in the market, EA does not have the need to improve their product from year to year.

Its a tough year for sports gaming with the loss of All Star Baseball and High Heat and now this announcement from the NFL. Whatever game you prefer it benefits all of us to have many different choices on the shelf.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:42 PM   #3
T*rg*t F**ld

bergie56's Arena

OVR: 18

There are a couple positives that could come out of this.

First off, EA wont have to release the game early or anything, they can take their time and try to work out as many bugs as they can.

Also, if EA decides to take advantage of having the NFL network license, that could be interesting.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:06 PM   #4
Rookie

iwilson6's Arena

OVR: 2

I thought about the presentation possibilities, too. Maybe Madden can create more of a watching football on Sunday's feel. With multiple networks, announcers, etc.

They haven't been much for presentation for a while now, though.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:17 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilson6
All I have been reading is negative comments on the EA deal. So my question is, who is excited about this deal?

I am in fact an ESPN convert from years past, simply because I felt that EA would release the same game every year.

Is there anything good about this deal? If you think so, let us know!
Any gamer who understands competition and its drive for excellence HATES this deal. Now, if I can turn a pile of chicken sh!t into chicken salad, the only positive aspect I can see coming out of this deal, is the now limitless freedom that Sega has to create a completely immersive and REALISTIC Pro Football video game experience. Before I get attacked with the 'Well, they no longer have the NFL name so how can it possibly be real like you claim!' let me explain. What I mean is that Sega can now implement situations that do in fact occur in the NFL, that the NFL panzies PRETEND don't happen and are not a part of the game. Things like late hits, roughing the passer, fights between players, player ejections, sideline crashes into players and Gatorade Tables, fines and even referees getting booed when they make a sh!tty call. These are all things that Sega can now exploit and possibly create the most realistic football game ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

"So my question is, who is excited about this deal?"

Fools.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:57 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilson6
I thought about the presentation possibilities, too. Maybe Madden can create more of a watching football on Sunday's feel. With multiple networks, announcers, etc.

They haven't been much for presentation for a while now, though.
Why would they do that? They didn't improve when there WAS competition (as you pointed out, iwilson6), does anyone think they'll have any incentive to now? One last time: EA needs to spend ZERO more effort on making the game better. I'm not talking about the developer Tiburon or anyone else, just the company that pulls all the strings, which is all that ultimately matters. And since they just blew a ton of change on the exclusive license, there will be cuts elsewhere to make up for it (i.e. game development). Ask yourself - WHY would they spend any more money, which would reduce their profits, on making the game signficantly better, when their sales will INCREASE no matter what (due to the fact that its the only game in town)? There is NO competition! If you were the only guy that sold hammocks (I must be tired, that's why I thought of that) in the world, would you just of your own volition start trying to see how much better you could make them, invest millions in their improvement and spend a lot of capital developing new models, when you will sell the same amount no matter what?

In answer to your question, EA stockholders like the deal. The NFL likes the deal. And the NFLPA (equally greedy as the other two parties) likes the deal. Any gamer that likes the deal is failing to see the larger issues.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:29 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
"So my question is, who is excited about this deal?"

Fools.
That was funny. About the ONLY positive that can come from this (and it's very slight) is EA has access to NFL Films. Unfortunately Madden is developed by Tiburon. Without VC to copy and borrow from, get ready for Tony Bruno II

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »