Home

EA Capitalists yet Communists

This is a discussion on EA Capitalists yet Communists within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #49
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: EA Capitalists yet Communists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaminor
You're all for choice? Good, can you make it so that I can choose to play my favorite football game with the NFL license?

My life wont end, but then again your or my life wont end as a result of any monopoly. And I'm missing the point?
Explain to me how it is a monopoly again?

If the NFL selling its licensing rights to a company is a monopoly, then why wasn't Nike all up in their arses to blow the NFL out for awarding the contract to Reebok? There have to be people out there that prefer the swoosh over the Reebok logo, right? Doesn't it piss you off that you have to sport a Reebok logo over a Nike swoosh if you want to wear a NFL jersey?

And if 2k5 is so great, just keep it and update its rosters for 5 more years and hope for the best after that. Then there is nothing stopping you from playing your favorite football video game.

Last edited by SportsTop; 12-16-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 1

Sorry it was mgblue.

On any note this is borderline Monopolizing the videogaming industry. Sega needs to fight back on this, and we need to stand behind them. I don't care, I have bought Madden this generation and I planned on buying it again but something needs to be done for the industry in general.

Main Entry: mo·nop·o·ly
Pronunciation: m&-'nä-p(&-)lE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -lies
Etymology: Latin monopolium, from Greek monopOlion, from mon- + pOlein to sell
1 : exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply, or concerted action
2 : exclusive possession or control
3 : a commodity controlled by one party
4 : one that has a monopoly

http://webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ry&va=monopoly

Sign Petition (below) For NFL To Keep EA Sports From Monopolizing The Gaming Industry

Petition (click)

Electronic Arts
Trudy Muller, 650-628-7323
[email protected]

NFL
Brian McCarthy, 212-450-2069
[email protected]

PLAYERS INC
Christy Moran, 202-496-2885
[email protected]
Old 12-16-2004, 05:16 PM   #51
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

Quote:
Again, I just love it when people state their stand yet have no explanation as to why.
Pot meet Kettle.

I fully understand how Miriam-Webster defines monopoly. I'd just like to hear how you apply it to this situation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2004, 05:16 PM   #52
Rookie

Quote:
Explain to me how it is a monopoly again?
I'm sure the definition above will do just fine, but if not I'll gladly explain it to you AGAIN. Yes, I have explained why in this very thread.

Quote:
If the NFL selling its licensing rights to a company is a monopoly, then why wasn't Nike all up in their arses to blow the NFL out for awarding the contract to Reebok?
Because they're not controlling the entire shoe industry with Nike. They're not monopolizing the entire Softdrink industry with Gatorade, or even power drink industry.

Now EA aren't controlling the entire gaming industry either (as much as they'd like to, and they have several professional licenses that I mentioned above), BUT they are controller the entire NFL franchise within the gaming industry and they're getting damn close to owning EVERY license of a professional sport, and believe me, they're working on it, lol.

Quote:
And if 2k5 is so great, just keep it and update its rosters for 5 more years and hope for the best after that. Then there is nothing stopping you from playing your favorite football video game.
I guess you didn't notice that I put NFL in BOLD above. I want to play my favorite NFL game, and can't.

Sign Petition (below) For NFL To Keep EA Sports From Monopolizing The Gaming Industry

Petition (click)

Electronic Arts
[email protected]

NFL
[email protected]

PLAYERS INC
[email protected]
Old 12-16-2004, 05:18 PM   #53
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
Pot meet Kettle.

I fully understand how Miriam-Webster defines monopoly. I'd just like to hear how you apply it to this situation.
Pot meet Kettle? Do you mind if I ask your age?

I've explained paragraph after paragraph as to how I feel, you come out and make a statement and don't back it up with any evidence or even logical statements to your opinion. You just say something, and tell others they are wrong, and then you want definitions and explanations.

Petition (click)

Electronic Arts
[email protected]

NFL
[email protected]

PLAYERS INC
[email protected]
Old 12-16-2004, 05:23 PM   #54
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
I'm sure the definition above will do just fine, but if not I'll gladly explain it to you AGAIN. Yes, I have explained why in this very thread.

Because they're not controlling the entire shoe industry with Nike. They're not monopolizing the entire Softdrink industry with Gatorade, or even power drink industry.

Now EA aren't controlling the entire gaming industry either (as much as they'd like to, and they have several professional licenses that I mentioned above), BUT they are controller the entire NFL franchise within the gaming industry and they're getting damn close to owning EVERY license of a professional sport, and believe me, they're working on it, lol.

I guess you didn't notice that I put NFL in BOLD above. I want to play my favorite NFL game, and can't.
I shouldn't get back involved in this but you are kind of contradicting yourself. You are using the defenition of Monopoly to meet the needs of your argument.

EA is not monopolizing the video game industry or the football game industry. They are however monopolizing the NFL football game industry.

So in the same sense couldn't you say that Reebok is not monopolizing the merchandise industry or the football merchandise industry but are monopolizing the NFL football merchandise industry?

I'm failing to see the major differences between these.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #55
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
I shouldn't get back involved in this but you are kind of contradicting yourself. You are using the defenition of Monopoly to meet the needs of your argument.

EA is not monopolizing the video game industry or the football game industry. They are however monopolizing the NFL football game industry.

So in the same sense couldn't you say that Reebok is not monopolizing the merchandise industry or the football merchandise industry but are monopolizing the NFL football merchandise industry?

Thank God you have the patience to type out these arguments, because mine left me about 15 threads ago on this topic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos

I said this is a borderline monopoly and yes in the same sense that could be considered the same as well (and has been considered so by many), but again, let's not confuse the signifcance of drinking a soda pop with playing a videogame.

If Pepsi tastes better than Coke (or shoes, jerseys, whatever), an NFL logo on it isn't going to change the flavor.

If ESPN is more fun then Madden in my opinion and presentation is a big part as to why, it is going to change the flavor of the game for me, and I will have NO choice in the matter.

ALSO, you missed one of my points. A point that EA are well on their way of monopolizing the entire videogam industry. They already have Bond, God Father, Golden Eye (came with Bond, rollseyes), NFL, Fifa, Boxing (and they even got sued for using pro boxers they didn't pay in the past), NASCAR, Grand Prix, Lord of the Rings, John Madden, Several licenses to vehichles, actors, and actresses, and other things. Where does it end? I'll tell you where. The NBA, NCAA, MLB would be a good start for them, and with people like you backing them up, they're heading right in that direction.

Competition is a good thing my friend, monopolization takes that away and gives us all not only a standard product, but a standard PRICE and we're all going to have to pay it.

Petition (click)

Electronic Arts
[email protected]

NFL
[email protected]

PLAYERS INC
[email protected]

Last edited by Xaminor; 12-16-2004 at 05:32 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »